Chad Allen | James Duke Mason | News | Trailblazer

Trailblazer: Chad Allen Records Video About Coming Out, Urges Other Actors to Do So

Chadallen

In a new video for James Duke Mason's 'Trailblazer' campaign, actor Chad Allen talks about being forced out of the closet as a young actor, the fear he experienced when his relationship was spread across the tabloids, and the plots that were hatched behind-the-scenes to hide it.

Allen ultimately decided to just come out. Now he's challenging other actors to do so as well.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. after the wildly successful "it gets better" and well-done driftwood, this format seems to be getting a bit played out. didn't find that video to be nearly as compelling as the others. maybe he could try something more original? A for effort though.

Posted by: ian | Apr 21, 2011 8:44:22 AM

2. That was very uplifting, more power to him. I wish when I was growing up there were people like him to look to.
    Thanks so much Chad, I wish you a happy and successful life.

Posted by: Rob West | Apr 21, 2011 8:55:06 AM

3. I think Chad Allen has really grown into a talented and charismatic actor. And he's also producing now. I loved the four Donald Strachey gay mystery movies that were filmed for Here TV and if you havn't seen 2007's SAVE ME, then you're missing one of the best acted and written agay films of the decade. (Allen not only stars but co-produced it with Oscar-winning filmmakers Jeffrey Friedman & Rob Epstein (CELLULOID CLOSET, COMMON THREADS) and fellow co-stars Judith Light and Robert Gant). I love the idea ofthe Trailblazer campaign. I'm sure it won't become as huge as the "It Gets Better" campaign, but if gay actors/actresses/writers/directors/etc. start filming spots saying there IS a career after coming out, then its bound to help a lot of fledgling gay young adults who are entering the performing arts as a career.

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 21, 2011 10:39:58 AM

4. Chad is such an inspiration and a great guy all around. So glad he did this!

Posted by: PM | Apr 21, 2011 12:54:43 PM

5. Any effort to help young people come out and become comfortable in their own skin should be applauded rather than picked apart for what it isn't, what have the critics done towards this end?

Posted by: lk | Apr 21, 2011 4:01:50 PM

6. I'm working at home today.

Me: Anybody every heard of Chad Allen?
    Others: Who?

This tends to support Rupert Everett's argument.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 21, 2011 5:33:06 PM

7. Chad is one of my personal heroes. Talented, gracious, and an activist. And yes, many people have heard of him. Rupert Everett is a bitter man who has burned many bridges with people because of his attitude. Chad is not the same.

Posted by: Josh | Apr 21, 2011 6:54:25 PM

8. I've always liked Chad Allen. He was a cute kid, but I think age has made him more handsome too. I'm really proud of him, and felt strong emotions from his vid. Maybe cuz I feel like I grew up alongside him, from watching Medicine Women (and admiring him in it :)) to coming out myself soon after him.

This sort of vid is not meant for the broad demographic of the also-praiseworthy "It gets better" vids. And maybe that's one reason it also feels more intimate. More a venue for real actors, perhaps. Thank you, Chad. May others follow your lead.

And I'd like to see more of this guy on the screen (big or small). Why do I not know more of what he's up to these days?

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 22, 2011 5:31:14 PM