Awards | Brokeback Mountain | Jake Gyllenhaal | News | Reba McEntire

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: CMA Hosts Blake Shelton and Reba McEntire Mock Jake Gyllenhaal with Gay Joke

Blake_reba

On the 46th Annual Academy of Country Music Award telecast last night, hosts Blake Shelton and Reba McEntire had the audience roaring with laughter with a 'wink wink' gay joke about Jake Gyllenhaal.

McEntire: "What in the world was Jake Gyllenhaal thinkin' anyway, [to break up with Taylor Swift?]"

Shelton: "Wait a minute. He was in Brokeback Mountain."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is exactly why I don't like to listen to country music. The homophobia is utterly disgusting.

Posted by: Josh | Apr 4, 2011 9:16:33 AM

2. I can barely stomach it either......Im very choosey too - IF I hear a song I like, I find out about the artist 1st. The Bush years TURNED me oFF to country music....and REBA, you can stop the plastic surgury anytime.....unless you plan on being the Joker in the Next Batman movie?

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Apr 4, 2011 9:26:32 AM

3. That was a cheap shot and not necessary.

Posted by: Max F. Grump | Apr 4, 2011 9:28:41 AM

4. oh what goshdarn good Yuks at them there gay peoples' expense. Gotta lurv them yokels! How fitting that the first performer out is Toby Keith! Blech!

Posted by: CKNJ | Apr 4, 2011 9:31:58 AM

5. It doesn't surprise me one bit. "Hahahaha. Silly gay people. And next, here's Toby Keith with a boot up the ass for all y'all Muslims."

Posted by: AJ | Apr 4, 2011 9:36:11 AM

6. The country music industry has never been gay-friendly...and I guess they're not starting anytime soon. The rednecks and country yokums have never been my cup o' tea...and I guess I'm not startin' likin' it anytime soon.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 4, 2011 9:40:05 AM

7. Maybe because Taylor Swift is a generic rat-faced tool.

Posted by: tyn | Apr 4, 2011 9:42:00 AM

8. how clever! too bad you look like a cross-eyed monkey in a red wig, Reba. whoops sorry, almost forgot.... wink wink!

Posted by: EO | Apr 4, 2011 9:46:00 AM

9. Sadly this is the muzak that Umerica listens too with their idiotic anthem "proud to be an Umerican"---
    C&W is racist, homophobic and adeuately reflects the position of most of its
    adherents.
    I had expected better from Reba but the male country singers are a wash as far as tolerance goes. And loose the cowboy hats y'all or go back to 'wranglin.

Posted by: nick | Apr 4, 2011 9:51:47 AM

10. that should be listens to and adequately-

sorry-keyboard out of whack today

Posted by: nick | Apr 4, 2011 9:52:49 AM

11. Blake Shelton is a vile little turd. Reba McEntire should know better.

As for country music, it's basically lame music. Dull productions, dull lyrics, dull arrangements. Give me the country music of the 1950's and 1960's anyday.

Posted by: brian | Apr 4, 2011 9:55:25 AM

12. It's ironic that Country used to be the music of outsiders... but no more. Now it's jingoistic, yahoos saying not much of anything.

I miss the good ol days.

ps: leave Taylor Swift out of this, she's a young person, having fun & learning about fame, and has never said much about JG.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Apr 4, 2011 10:06:41 AM

13. Gay People - Har har har!

Posted by: patrick lehman | Apr 4, 2011 10:07:07 AM

14. The bigger question: What in the world were their "stylists" thinking? The Smurfs need their satin back.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 4, 2011 10:08:06 AM

15. Anyone offended by this seriously needs to lighten up and take the stick out of their ass. Enough with the overly-militant activism already, it's not like he called him a gay slur.

Posted by: rainban22 | Apr 4, 2011 10:12:07 AM

16. ugh. what a cheap, dated joke. And wait, why was Reba cool with this? Don't tell me a woman with that much plastic surgery and a wig that big doesn't have some sort of gay fan-base to alienate.

Posted by: Matthew | Apr 4, 2011 10:12:42 AM

17. The overwhelming majority of Country music folks are Republican conservatives (bigots). The joke was par for the course.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Apr 4, 2011 10:19:42 AM

18. Did you guys actually watch the clip? I laughed. Once you get passed the backwoods accents, you recognize a joke as a joke. It's not like it was delivered in Glenn Beck's holier-than-thou crazy voice.

Posted by: Ioann | Apr 4, 2011 10:20:35 AM

19. So anyone that would dump Taylor Swift MUST be gay. Wow.. how hilarious. Stupid bigoted assholes.

Reba McEntire is a friend of the gay community. I'm not sure why she would approve of such a homophobic (and dated) joke.

@ Rainban22: They labeled Jake "gay" and the audience burst into laughter. Because if you're gay that is SO incredibly funny, right?

Posted by: David in Houston | Apr 4, 2011 10:24:38 AM

20. Jake Gyllenhaal bearded with Taylor Swift - he should be trashed for his stupidity.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 4, 2011 10:31:28 AM

21. The joke is dated and not very funny but I don't find it all that offensive... just kind of lame!

Posted by: mikey | Apr 4, 2011 10:33:12 AM

22. They need to apologize to Jake Gyllenhal...it was a cheap shot, and certainly not worthy of being aired by CBS, nor touted on People Magazine's online blog right after the show as one of the best quotes of the evening. Sad and lame.

Posted by: Keith | Apr 4, 2011 10:39:03 AM

23. I'm surprised Reba went with this. It's not even that it's outright hateful rather than completely unnecessary and inappropriate to:

a)insinuate someone is gay in a negative fashion

b)proceed to laugh at that insinuation

I'm not the sensitive type but basically, this is making "gay" the butt of the joke again. We were MADE a joke by these people and that's the problem.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 4, 2011 10:39:36 AM

24. The only thing this clip is guilty of is not being funny. When did we get so sensitive that we lost the ability to laugh at ourselves a little?

Posted by: Bryant | Apr 4, 2011 10:41:40 AM

25. They are redneck hillbilly country singers. I don't expect much from them. The older generation that is. Younger ones like Taylor Swift I have hope that they won't be stupid like that.

Posted by: Stephen | Apr 4, 2011 10:46:56 AM