Gay Media | News

LGBT Blog Queerty Closes

Queerty

Following nearly a week in which LGBT blog Queerty was offline, its management has called it quits:

"After more than five years of serving the LGBT community with news and entertainment, Queerty has come to a close. The decision to shutter the site was not an easy one to make, and it is with great pain that we say goodbye to our loyal readership. From all of Queerty's writers and contributors, from our first unto our last day, thank you for spending some time with us."

In an email sent out yesterday by its owner David Hauslaib, some explanation was given for the shutdown:

As many of you know, last year Queerty partnered with the folks at 353Media to handle its operations. I transitioned out of my original role to make time to tackle some unrelated projects, and a trusted crew took the reins. Sadly last week, in a scenario that began with some technical headaches, has ended with 353 opting not to continue operating the site. It is a decision I was saddened to hear, and I worked to find an amenable solution that would keep Queerty online. That effort was unsuccessful.

I have watched web properties that I launched come to an close before, but Queerty's end is certainly one of the hardest to see.

Queerty had cited "technical emergencies" for most of last week while publishing only a Twitter feed.

As someone familiar with both the satisfactions and the challenges that come with keeping up a day-to-day news blog, I can sympathize with the difficulties of letting go. We wish David and his team the best in their new endeavors.

Comments

1. I wish I could say I'm sad to see them go, but I stopped reading them ages ago. The quality of their articles had gone down so much I was afraid my eyes were going to roll out the back of my head.

The day Towleroad stops, on the other hand, will be a very sad day for me.

Posted by: shibby | Apr 18, 2011 11:25:53 AM

2. As someone who runs a group of websites I hear you Andy...

By the same token this was a brand that could and should have thrived. I've come across a lot of web companies that lack vision and organization, leading to situations like this. I'm not saying that's what happened here but I've certainly come across some media disasters over the years - as you prove every day Andy - it isn't easy!

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Apr 18, 2011 11:28:00 AM

3. I read them every day, which isn't the same thing as saying I liked them. They always had a few unique items nobody else seemed to have. The attitude of their writing often annoyed me but I kept clicking back because of that.

Posted by: Brent | Apr 18, 2011 11:29:16 AM

4. As a tribute, you could add a "Queerty style" button to Towleroad. When you click it, it would display the same article, but add a bunch of spelling and grammatical errors, re-brand the headline to make it inflammatory and deceptive, and randomly delete chunks of the text until the entire story is completely indecipherable.

Posted by: Dave | Apr 18, 2011 11:34:42 AM

5. The effort, heartache, and dedication needed to provide these kinds of services day in and day out must be amazing. I'm so grateful to Mr. Hauslaib, Andy Towle, Joe Jervis, and Pamela Spaulding in particular for all their hard work, year after year, providing US with the tools we need to be an informed opposition to those who threaten us.
    Well done, all. Mr. Hauslaib, we are grateful. Best wishes always.

Posted by: Justin N in OakLawn, Dallas, TX | Apr 18, 2011 11:35:43 AM

6. Very Magnanimous of you Andy.

@Dave ROTFLMAO

and where will Davey Wavey wind up? Probably on some TV show he's been auditioning for on Queerty for years.

Posted by: qjersey | Apr 18, 2011 11:42:28 AM

7. Good riddance. QUEERTY was a cesspool of self-loathing homophobia.

Posted by: CRISPY | Apr 18, 2011 11:42:58 AM

8. i still want to know what actually happened....what was with all those technical issues...

Posted by: mike128 | Apr 18, 2011 11:44:38 AM

9. In the words of Donald Trump, "it was harrable!"

No really, the site was an embarrassment to the gay community.
    Good riddance.

Posted by: John | Apr 18, 2011 11:49:22 AM

10. Queerty had some real problems and little to offer that was not already available here and elsewhere.

With luck they'll learn from their mistakes and do better next time.

Posted by: David | Apr 18, 2011 11:54:20 AM

11. I'd have to echo some of the sentiments expressed here about Queerty. I used to read it everyday, along with this blog and others. But somewhere along the way, I noticed a severe drop in quality and a scary rise in attitude. I remember when they shifted formats into what I still beleive to be a horrendous layout, and when people complained about it, the editors, I think David himself, basically came out and said something like, "Traffic is still good. People are still coming. So shut up. I win."

It was just what I needed to stop reading, and I refused to go back, even through a link from another blog. I just couldn't handle the self-righteous attitude.

Posted by: Austin | Apr 18, 2011 12:10:36 PM

12. Someone put Davey Wavey on suicide watch...

Posted by: Daniel | Apr 18, 2011 12:15:41 PM

13. Good riddance.

Posted by: unruly | Apr 18, 2011 12:15:42 PM

14. It's usually sad to lose an LGBT blogging voice, but the writers at Queerty really were hateful trash, and we are all enriched by their silence.

Posted by: Andrew W | Apr 18, 2011 12:27:40 PM

15. "Good riddance. QUEERTY was a cesspool of self-loathing homophobia."

Pot, meet kettle.

Posted by: gaylib | Apr 18, 2011 12:37:22 PM

16. I feel the same as some of the other commenters. I used to read it, but finally stopped a long time ago. Not only were their articles very poorly edited, but there were stunts they pulled that I found unconscionable. It was complete garbage. It's sad for people to lose things they have worked on, but I am glad to see this site has shut down. The level of effort they put in was not apparent, if it was really there at all. It was an embarrassment.

@Dave, your idea for a "Queerty style" tribute button is genius!

Posted by: Jon. | Apr 18, 2011 12:55:21 PM

17. Good. Horrible site.

Posted by: Ted | Apr 18, 2011 12:56:36 PM

18. Hey! Leave poor Davey Wavey out of this. He might be naive, and young and fresh. Don't hate him for that. C'mon. We all need some optimists to balance the equation.

Posted by: Reggie | Apr 18, 2011 12:58:14 PM

19. I went to Queerty daily, but that was mainly due to the format/interface, which I liked. The latest 20 stories or so at the top of the page with a small photo, no endless scrolling. (Joe My God is the WORST for the never-ending scroll, which takes time to load.)

But the 'reporting' itself was frustrating and often poor. You'd wonder if the person who wrote the headline/story had actually read the source material because it was the opposite of Queerty's claim. Or they'd try for 'snark' and it came across as crappy attitude toward serious stories.

I'm sad to see them go but the quality left a lot to be desired.

Posted by: greenmanTN | Apr 18, 2011 12:59:35 PM

20. ugh
    they were so nasty and hateful- i for one am so glad to see them gone.

Posted by: daniel | Apr 18, 2011 1:10:04 PM

21. I was a regular there up until about a year ago. Before that it was a free-for-all in the comments section and a lot of fun for the most part. At one time I think the instigating attitude of the stories, albeit the terrible editing, were good for stimulating debate. But something happened and the attitude got way too ugly and silly. I thought Rupert Murdoch had clandestinely bought it out. As for Davey - great pecs, great ass, what more do you want?

Posted by: romeo | Apr 18, 2011 1:29:42 PM

22. Greenmartin,

I agree it's sad to see another gay blog go and it was good to have one that pushes the envelop-Towleroad I find to safe and not very reportage but I still come because it's neutral in terms of news and that is FAIR.

But I'm not shock. And this is money issues. Huaslib realized this wasn't gonna be the cash cow he wanted so went to try and get other ventures.

I don't know what he was trying to prove but they seer so mean, nasty and spiteful to everyone. They outed so many people in a mean way that I wouldn't be surprised if that turned away some advertisers with connections with Hollywood publicists.

I'd bet my house that they lost all their advertisers. When Perez started outing people-he's had to tread carefully and apologize because Hollywood gays are just not letting him into their parties.

The problem is you don't have to be in the pocket of the publicists but easy on the name calling.....

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 18, 2011 1:40:41 PM

23. Any website that promotes thinking of LGBT folk as "queers" damn sure needs to go dark, and needs to have gone dark yesterday. Good riddance!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Apr 18, 2011 1:54:49 PM

24. One word sums up Queerty and its commenters: Snarky. And I say that with the utmost respect. However, I just got tired of the snark.

I left Towleroad for Queerty because I liked graphics and visuals with my stories. They made the graphics front and center. However, I came back to Towleroad for the less snarky attitude. On Queerty it seemed to pervade everything to the point of not being able to decipher what a headline was really about, whether it was true or sarcasm, what facts were facts, and if it was just trying too hard to be funny, hip, irreverent, or relevant. I enjoyed the cynical angle--to a point. Just not to the point of it corrupting and twisting the story, if I could even figure out what the story really was. It seemed to get more and more twisted up in sarcasm and snark recently.

Despite being befuddled in its latest posts over the past several weeks, I wish Queerty writers the best.

Posted by: Bub | Apr 18, 2011 1:56:39 PM

25. Dave, that is the best comment.

I will miss:
    -the bad spelling and grammatical errors. Rife on that site, some of which threw the entire headline in the complete opposite direction. Spell check, ANYONE?
    -the attitude of the article writers AND the commenters. Can you imagine being in a room full of them? Not a virtual room, a real room. OMG.
    -Davey Wavey and the vitriol it inspired in people who didn't want to see him
    -the straight acting gay guy who was in Germany or something that seemed to be the new Davey Wavey that commenters loved to bag on
    the unending posts of twinks at Jersey, Florida, California, wherever, doing their horrible music video lip synch montages...seriously why does every gay have to be in love with Britney, Gaga, Miley, etc.?
    -the articles on circumcision. And as a consequence the fact that people would talk about it and it seemed that overwhelmingly people thought it was a barbaric and/or unnecessary procedure.

Queerty, you will be missed.

Posted by: Bub | Apr 18, 2011 2:06:03 PM