LGBT Blog Queerty Closes

Queerty

Following nearly a week in which LGBT blog Queerty was offline, its management has called it quits:

"After more than five years of serving the LGBT community with news and entertainment, Queerty has come to a close. The decision to shutter the site was not an easy one to make, and it is with great pain that we say goodbye to our loyal readership. From all of Queerty's writers and contributors, from our first unto our last day, thank you for spending some time with us."

In an email sent out yesterday by its owner David Hauslaib, some explanation was given for the shutdown:

As many of you know, last year Queerty partnered with the folks at 353Media to handle its operations. I transitioned out of my original role to make time to tackle some unrelated projects, and a trusted crew took the reins. Sadly last week, in a scenario that began with some technical headaches, has ended with 353 opting not to continue operating the site. It is a decision I was saddened to hear, and I worked to find an amenable solution that would keep Queerty online. That effort was unsuccessful.

I have watched web properties that I launched come to an close before, but Queerty's end is certainly one of the hardest to see.

Queerty had cited "technical emergencies" for most of last week while publishing only a Twitter feed.

As someone familiar with both the satisfactions and the challenges that come with keeping up a day-to-day news blog, I can sympathize with the difficulties of letting go. We wish David and his team the best in their new endeavors.

Comments

1. shibby says

I wish I could say I’m sad to see them go, but I stopped reading them ages ago. The quality of their articles had gone down so much I was afraid my eyes were going to roll out the back of my head.

The day Towleroad stops, on the other hand, will be a very sad day for me.

2. says

As someone who runs a group of websites I hear you Andy…

By the same token this was a brand that could and should have thrived. I’ve come across a lot of web companies that lack vision and organization, leading to situations like this. I’m not saying that’s what happened here but I’ve certainly come across some media disasters over the years – as you prove every day Andy – it isn’t easy!

3. Brent says

I read them every day, which isn’t the same thing as saying I liked them. They always had a few unique items nobody else seemed to have. The attitude of their writing often annoyed me but I kept clicking back because of that.

4. Dave says

As a tribute, you could add a “Queerty style” button to Towleroad. When you click it, it would display the same article, but add a bunch of spelling and grammatical errors, re-brand the headline to make it inflammatory and deceptive, and randomly delete chunks of the text until the entire story is completely indecipherable.

5. Justin N in OakLawn, Dallas, TX says

The effort, heartache, and dedication needed to provide these kinds of services day in and day out must be amazing. I’m so grateful to Mr. Hauslaib, Andy Towle, Joe Jervis, and Pamela Spaulding in particular for all their hard work, year after year, providing US with the tools we need to be an informed opposition to those who threaten us.
    Well done, all. Mr. Hauslaib, we are grateful. Best wishes always.

6. qjersey says

Very Magnanimous of you Andy.

@Dave ROTFLMAO

and where will Davey Wavey wind up? Probably on some TV show he’s been auditioning for on Queerty for years.

7. David says

Queerty had some real problems and little to offer that was not already available here and elsewhere.

With luck they’ll learn from their mistakes and do better next time.

8. says

I’d have to echo some of the sentiments expressed here about Queerty. I used to read it everyday, along with this blog and others. But somewhere along the way, I noticed a severe drop in quality and a scary rise in attitude. I remember when they shifted formats into what I still beleive to be a horrendous layout, and when people complained about it, the editors, I think David himself, basically came out and said something like, “Traffic is still good. People are still coming. So shut up. I win.”

It was just what I needed to stop reading, and I refused to go back, even through a link from another blog. I just couldn’t handle the self-righteous attitude.

9. Jon. says

I feel the same as some of the other commenters. I used to read it, but finally stopped a long time ago. Not only were their articles very poorly edited, but there were stunts they pulled that I found unconscionable. It was complete garbage. It’s sad for people to lose things they have worked on, but I am glad to see this site has shut down. The level of effort they put in was not apparent, if it was really there at all. It was an embarrassment.

@Dave, your idea for a “Queerty style” tribute button is genius!

10. Reggie says

Hey! Leave poor Davey Wavey out of this. He might be naive, and young and fresh. Don’t hate him for that. C’mon. We all need some optimists to balance the equation.

11. greenmanTN says

I went to Queerty daily, but that was mainly due to the format/interface, which I liked. The latest 20 stories or so at the top of the page with a small photo, no endless scrolling. (Joe My God is the WORST for the never-ending scroll, which takes time to load.)

But the ‘reporting’ itself was frustrating and often poor. You’d wonder if the person who wrote the headline/story had actually read the source material because it was the opposite of Queerty’s claim. Or they’d try for ‘snark’ and it came across as crappy attitude toward serious stories.

I’m sad to see them go but the quality left a lot to be desired.

12. romeo says

I was a regular there up until about a year ago. Before that it was a free-for-all in the comments section and a lot of fun for the most part. At one time I think the instigating attitude of the stories, albeit the terrible editing, were good for stimulating debate. But something happened and the attitude got way too ugly and silly. I thought Rupert Murdoch had clandestinely bought it out. As for Davey – great pecs, great ass, what more do you want?

13. Rowan says

Greenmartin,

I agree it’s sad to see another gay blog go and it was good to have one that pushes the envelop-Towleroad I find to safe and not very reportage but I still come because it’s neutral in terms of news and that is FAIR.

But I’m not shock. And this is money issues. Huaslib realized this wasn’t gonna be the cash cow he wanted so went to try and get other ventures.

I don’t know what he was trying to prove but they seer so mean, nasty and spiteful to everyone. They outed so many people in a mean way that I wouldn’t be surprised if that turned away some advertisers with connections with Hollywood publicists.

I’d bet my house that they lost all their advertisers. When Perez started outing people-he’s had to tread carefully and apologize because Hollywood gays are just not letting him into their parties.

The problem is you don’t have to be in the pocket of the publicists but easy on the name calling…..

14. Bub says

One word sums up Queerty and its commenters: Snarky. And I say that with the utmost respect. However, I just got tired of the snark.

I left Towleroad for Queerty because I liked graphics and visuals with my stories. They made the graphics front and center. However, I came back to Towleroad for the less snarky attitude. On Queerty it seemed to pervade everything to the point of not being able to decipher what a headline was really about, whether it was true or sarcasm, what facts were facts, and if it was just trying too hard to be funny, hip, irreverent, or relevant. I enjoyed the cynical angle–to a point. Just not to the point of it corrupting and twisting the story, if I could even figure out what the story really was. It seemed to get more and more twisted up in sarcasm and snark recently.

Despite being befuddled in its latest posts over the past several weeks, I wish Queerty writers the best.

15. Bub says

Dave, that is the best comment.

I will miss:
    -the bad spelling and grammatical errors. Rife on that site, some of which threw the entire headline in the complete opposite direction. Spell check, ANYONE?
    -the attitude of the article writers AND the commenters. Can you imagine being in a room full of them? Not a virtual room, a real room. OMG.
    -Davey Wavey and the vitriol it inspired in people who didn’t want to see him
    -the straight acting gay guy who was in Germany or something that seemed to be the new Davey Wavey that commenters loved to bag on
    the unending posts of twinks at Jersey, Florida, California, wherever, doing their horrible music video lip synch montages…seriously why does every gay have to be in love with Britney, Gaga, Miley, etc.?
    -the articles on circumcision. And as a consequence the fact that people would talk about it and it seemed that overwhelmingly people thought it was a barbaric and/or unnecessary procedure.

Queerty, you will be missed.

16. says

I left this as a comment on the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association’s facebook, and I’ll just copy it over here too…it really sums up how I felt about Queerty.

“As a publisher of a magazine for the GLBT demographic, Queerty was useful as a jumping off point to research real issues, because even if their own writing was lazy, they always cited their legitimate sources. But at the same time, it was a…s if the writers and editors didn’t really give two shits about their readership. The tone was often misleading and more than a little bitchy, which would be fine if it was tongue-in-cheek and didn’t come across as condescending to the readers. Their endless vendettas against Lady Gaga and others were very tiring as well.

I imagine some people will miss it, like Davey Wavey and that lady who was trying to turn her 3-year-old gay…the ones who used the website as a promotional tool. But as far as information goes, other websites covered all of that in a more straightforward and balanced manner.”

17. Serendib says

Well I will miss it – I understand that a “balanced manner” is all very well and good and necessary, but for the other 10% of the time Queerty fitted the bill brilliantly. Sometimes we just want to live life at an angle and quit being so pissy.

I bet the HRC will love that they have folded – one less queer thorn in their side?

Ta-ra Queerty.

18. James Twist says

We seem to have a consensus here. My biggest problem with them was the fact that they took themselves seriously, but didn’t take any of their readers seriously when called on the carpet due for bad spelling, factual errors, etc. I had a feeling things were going downhill when the number of comments dropped from the high 2 and 3 digits down to sometimes 0. The writing was on the wall.

19. SSCHIEFRSHA says

Hated them. They banned me for likening a grotesquely ugly, homophobic African President to an ape from Jurassic Park. Their political correctness was appalling.

20. SSCHIEFRSHA says

Sorry about that last post… I forgot to take my meds this morning and I didn’t realize it until I found myself acting like a pathetic, middle aged Towleroad troll instead of my usual macho he-man self. Actually, I think the President is kind of hot… I’d hit that till the cows came home, to be honest. Now all of you silly queens can just go about your business… as for me, it’s off to the spa in my shiny new Bentley!

21. testington says

It was really just a source for links to other sites that actually wrote articles. The only opinion the site itself ever seemed do offer was “everybody is homophobic all the time be afraid”

22. DiMi says

Okay, I’m a straight black woman who supports and is interested in LGBT causes and culture and followed this link from D-Listed (my fav blog ever in history.) I am speaking as an outsider, and I know that.

However, I have to say that I am REALLY SAD that queerty is gone. It was a flawed site, but it had some terrific writers, some interesting stories, and it played an important role in the blogosphere.

It is ALWAYS a kind of tragedy when voices that are already marginalized become completely silenced, even if we don’t agree with those voices. There are racially ridiculous African American-themed blogs that make me nuts – I mean INSANE – but I don’t want them to go away because I want there to be as many diverse black voices out there as possible. I feel the same about LGBT blogs. Even though I am straight, I want to hear as many voices as possible from the LGBT community. It matters to me that ALL of those voices have a space. When people say “good riddance” to any of those voices, they are celebrating the silencing of something important even if it is something that they don’t like or agree with. That saddens me as well.

This straight sister enjoyed queerty, and I will genuinely miss it. I wish all of the superb writers there the best of luck.

23. sal says

well i will try again to comment,i didnt like them and they were very mean and malicious,i wanted gay news without the etc so that why i gave up queerty and never looked back.I hope they learn a lesson and comeback a changed group of writers etc

24. El-Brucio says

I haven’t looked at Queerty in over a year. Somehow they devolved into a hateful snark rag solely designed to try to increase pageviews for advertisers.

If it was because they were having financial troubles from the very beginning they have my sympathy. But if it turns out it was because of greed that they drove everyone away they certainly deserve that blot on their resume.

25. Brian McD says

I am sad to see Queerty go. I like both Towleroad and Queerty for different things. I am a serious gay, and I do like to think of serious issues, and for that I like Towleroad. I am also a silly gay, and I like to laugh, and I liked Queerty for that. I hope Towleroad can pick up some additional traffic by adding MORE STORIES, and maybe a few with a lighter vibe. I liked the stupid video clips, I liked Davey Wavey, and I liked the reviews of RuPauls Drag Race, and I LOVED THE RAISING MY RAINBOW feature…it gave me something to talk about with my fellow young gays. I can’t talk about DOMA or other serious stuff so it was nice to have a balance.

26. Ealan74 says

Like a lot of people, I visited Queerty daily for LGBT news, but I can’t say I was a fan of the site. I found a lot of the writing catty and uninspired. And far too many times, they posted headlines that seriously distorted the stories they accompanied. Plus they spent a LOT of time bashing a “certain LGBT magazine” that they swore was on its last legs; funny how the tables turn, huh?

27. says

I was a regular at Queerty. I will miss the site, visited several times a day. I am looking for my buds from there! If you recognize my name, hit me up, the link to my blog is in my profile here, and I’ll post something on it there and you can comment so we can stay in touch. RIP Queerty.

28. just_a_guy says

I never followed queerty unless someone else (usu TR) noted something by them. Not actually a blog aficiado type here. In my experience, TR grows readership from referrals between actual real-live friends. And your comment format is a hoot (and a release as well as thoughtful discussion board) for a lot of us.

Don’t leave us, Andy and team :-)

BTW, only complaint is that sometimes a comment doesn’t post here–is that snafu fixable easily? Dunno if that’s true everywhere else on the web, but I thought I’d mention.

29. says

i (personally) do NOT wish “David and his team” success on their endeavors. What I wish is that ‘David and his team’ go back to journalism school with a course in sociology and learn how a gay fictitious gossip column is counter productive to the advancement of the gay community.

i would also like for them to understand that this is now 2011… and at some point someone somewhere needs to take that step forward and try to be informative without being sensationalized. it may not be profitable as (let’s say) FOX news, but somewhere in this community, we need a ‘integrity over sensationalism’ stance. Queerty was not it.

30. ProfessorVP says

I used to comment there regularly, and when I realized other readers didn’t know wtf I was talking about, or meant, I cut down, then later basically stopped commenting, then stopped reading.

Aside from the poor quality of the articles, there was sort of an out-of-touch element to it, and a naively conservative, somewhat self-loathing slant. A good example was their bigtime support and hero worship of Dan Choi. Now, if you remotely suggested that having a flaming queen chain himself to the White House gate and throw a hissy, this was not exactly the best method and the best spokesman to win the battle for equality in the military… and besides, gays and lesbians should be more sensible and stay clear of these phony-ass wars for GE, Exxon and Halliburton… that these adventures actually make us less safe… oh, would they get pissed over at Queerty. They either couldn’t, or wouldn’t face reality. Almost every comment contained what are you smoking, what Cool Aid are you drinking, and assorted high school taunts, and I don’t mean senior. As catty as Towleroad is- not that there’s anything wrong with that- it’s light years ahead of what Queerty was.

31. l says

good riddance. i visited queerty a few times and that was enough for me. as a black lesbian, there was NOTHING that attracted me to that website. the racism and misogyny were pervasive and when the toxic commentary was brought to the attention of the moderators, it was hardly addressed. it’s obvious who the target audience was (white gay men). the site served to remind me that poc and lesbians are considered to be at or close to the bottom of the totem pole in the lgbt community, unless you are willing to be a token and not raise any of the serious issues that the lgbt community has with discrimination. i hated it.

32. TOferdavid says

I too enjoyed Visiting queerty for a quick and dirty glimpse at what was going on each day. Visitors could quickly scan the images and headlines on the main page given the technical format. I appreciated that the most. I only came here as I figured there would be a piece about it’s shuttering. Sadly, I stopped visiting this site daily during the 2008 election cycle. I could not bare the constant Hillary hate and Obama pedestal-ing. Oh, I fear the Obama pedestal-ing shall return or damn if I know if it ever left.

33. SteveDenver says

It always stuns me to read bitchy gay commentary like “good riddance,” etc. It sounds like a bunch of dissatisfied customers, but these assholes didn’t pay for a thing: they clicked in for free and feel a need to be negative and critical.

I want to thank David for the many times Queerty cut to the chase, and for the occasional times I thought “WHAT?!” It was nice knowing ya.

34. truthteller says

They were hateful over there. I left them when I couldn’t handle the vitriol towards our heterosexual allies. They tried too hard and the reporting was trash.

35. Rowan says

Toferdavid,

You should’ve come back!

They spent the nest two years hating on Obama after repealing DADT to pride month to the Matthew Shepard hate crime to having the most gay employees EVER in the white house.

They were TOXIC.

36. Will says

Similar to the vein of comments already posted, Queerty had devolved from being quasi-informative to being total and utter Obama hating trash. I am hardly an uncritical supporter of the President, but it seemed like they strived to put the most unflattering and inflammatory spin on every article, especially ones dealing with politics. Good riddance.

37. scott ny'er says

While I had some problems with how Queerty did business (namely the HORRIBLE site redesign, the click thrus on the hot guys thing which went kaput because they were illegal posting those photos I believe, the DaveyWavey love, the badly paraphrasing of other news content, etc) it is sad to see a LGBT entity go away.

It’s always good for LGBT stuff to be out there. The more we are seen and heard the better we will be in the long run. Plus, Queerty brought to my attention many LGBT news items that I don’t see elsewhere. And it was important stuff like gay-bashings, exposing hypocritical anti-gay politicians, etc. So, it is sad to see them gone.