Darren Criss | Glee | Michelle Bachmann | News

Michele Bachmann Stalks 'Glee' Cast

New York magazine reports that Bachmann spent some time at the recent TIME 100 party stalking the cast of Glee to get photos:

Bachmann At the event last night, at Jazz at Lincoln Center, Bachmann and her husband posed with Glee star Darren Criss and e-mailed the pictures to their children. "We looked for Chris Colfer," she said, but they didn't find him. "We don’t watch TV, generally speaking. But the kids were thrilled. What kids don’t watch Glee?" Well, maybe the children of potential presidential candidates who think God sent them to stop gay people from having equal rights? Maybe Bachmann doesn't know that the main message of the popular teen hit is tolerance, respect, and equal treatment — particularly for gay people. She doesn’t watch TV, after all.

It's not the first time Chris Colfer has been stalked by a bully.

Comments

1. it's ok for gays to entertain. we're expected to dance, do your hair, dress you, design your clothes, home and cars. But we're not supposed to think we're equal.

Oh the hypocritical irony.

Posted by: The TRUTH | Apr 29, 2011 11:09:23 AM

2. I hope she burns in hell along the side of her stupid kids.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 29, 2011 11:17:27 AM

3. I think that Michelle Bachman and other politicians like her actually do not hate us. I believe they are as evolved toward us as we wish them to be. What I think is happening is actually much more evil on their part - they are going against their own personal instincts toward tolerance in order to pander to their low-intelligence, reactive base of support. I find this so sad and sickening. I truly don't know how they sleep at night.

Posted by: Ken | Apr 29, 2011 11:28:08 AM

4. If I were a Glee cast member, I'd refuse to have my picture taken with the likes of her. I might even take the opportunity to give her a few words...

Posted by: mrmnyc | Apr 29, 2011 11:33:24 AM

5. It gets better. When people like her have left the room. Maybe Chris Colfer successfully tried to evade her.

Posted by: Phil | Apr 29, 2011 11:47:29 AM

6. It's all bogus. These politicians aren't the same people when they go home. It's a job. They say and do everything they can to get votes and get funded. Just look at all the closeted politicians. The job is more important to them than who they really are. Of course when you're raking in 6 figures...money talks.

Posted by: Justin | Apr 29, 2011 11:58:35 AM

7. Darren Criss, you are dead to me.

I no longer know your name. I don't watch Glee because it no longer exists, just as you no longer exist. Dead.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 29, 2011 12:21:49 PM

8. I'm not sure if Darren Criss had a chance to avoid Bachmann (it would have been an embarrassing scene to shield his face at the last second). She might have sneaked up on him and someone was ready with a camera. He may or may not have even recognized her on sight.

Posted by: Phil | Apr 29, 2011 12:54:52 PM

9. @Bryan: Calm down. The Time 100 party is just a media-created PR event -- tons of cameras, and people trying to get their photos with celebrities. The nicer celebs just smile and pose with many, many people over the course of the night, assuming they're just fans.

If Mr. Criss was photographed with Bachman, I'm sure it was one of hundreds of photos taken of him and the rest of the Glee cast that night, probably without specific knowledge of who they were posing with.

Posted by: D.B. | Apr 29, 2011 12:56:42 PM

10. Criss should be ashamed of himself...hope this ruins his career!

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Apr 29, 2011 1:33:43 PM

11. Are you sure he even knew who she was?

Posted by: Mawm | Apr 29, 2011 3:03:44 PM

12. Darren goes out of his way to be as vocally supportive of our community as possible. In a live web chat with thousands of presumably mostly straight female viewers he specifically went out of his way to spend two minutes talking about the importance of LGBT rights and how much the cause means to him. He does stuff like that, unbidden, all the time. I would bet he had no idea who she was. And even if he had heard of her, he probably didn't connect the name to the face. Who would think she'd be there? If I were him I'd think it more likely it was just someone who looked like her.

Posted by: Tyler | Apr 29, 2011 3:25:47 PM

13. Y'all are some fickle and bitchy queens! Do you even "get" Glee? "Darren is dead to me!" "I hope it ruins his career!"

Please, the guy is a great ally and talent. He probably had no idea who the nutcase was and just wanted to move on to the next photo.

Get over yourselves and support our allies.

Posted by: David R. | Apr 29, 2011 3:26:22 PM

14. My previous comment's spamblock word: "snaps4". Just sayin'.

Posted by: David R. | Apr 29, 2011 3:27:04 PM

15. Darren Criss thought cloud: "Oh, that poor woman has to go through life looking like that crazy-eyed loon Stewart and Colbert keep making fun of. What's her name...?"

Michelle Bachmann thought cloud: "Is is okay if I lust after a boy 'half' my age if he's on a FOX show? Sure! Activate Creepy Cougar Mode™ in 3..2..1..."

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Apr 29, 2011 5:31:25 PM

16. Darren needs to makes a statement about htis....

Posted by: alan brickman | Apr 29, 2011 7:18:14 PM

17. Darren Criss plays an openly gay man on television, and is so committed to the role he hesitated to publicly declare himself straight. I doubt he consciously snubbed the LGBT community. After all, how many people really know - or care - what Michelle Bachmann looks like? Could you pick an anti-gay politician like Tim Pawlenty or Sally Kern out of a lineup?

Criss probably should make a statement, but I don't think he was willfully offensive. You don't kiss Chris Colfer for a living if you hate gay people.

Posted by: Ben | Apr 29, 2011 7:37:08 PM

18. With allies like him....

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Apr 29, 2011 8:49:28 PM

19. Wow to the people wanting to see the young career of Darren Criss destroyed over this... without knowing ANY of the facts, only whatever Michelle Bachman had to say about it.

1) Grow up.
    2) Did you ever consider the fact that Darren Criss couldn't spot Michelle Bachman in a room if his life depended on it? Just because many of us are politically aware, doesn't mean the rest of the country is.
    3) He may not have had a real choice about it. PR may actually be a legit contractual obligation for him (almost certainly is, in fact).
    4) Things may have been going so fast, he may not have even known what was going on before the deed was done. Pictures are taken *very quickly* at those kinds of events, sometimes before you even really know who you're taking a picture with.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 29, 2011 11:15:56 PM

20. After seeing the massive support that Criss has given to the gay community, I find it impossible to believe that he both recognized her and willingly posed with her. Those of you who are pissed at him should consider that most people don't recognize politicians on sight, that most people might well not know anything about any given politician's views (I had to explain earlier today to a former roommate who Bachman is), and that Criss has been consistently and unapologetically supportive of the LGBT community, particularly LGBT youth.

I can get as pissy as the next gay about people who associate with anti-gay pundits and politicians, but I can't see any reason to do so here. Think before you condemn.

Posted by: Patrick Hogan | Apr 30, 2011 2:25:54 AM

21. As if we needed proof that 'Balloonhead' Bachman is completely clueless.

Posted by: evan | Apr 30, 2011 10:35:04 AM

22. Anyone find it odd that with hundreds of press photographers around and hundreds more cellphone cameras, no one has a single photo to prove this myth? Maybe that's because it's bulls**t

Posted by: Mike | May 3, 2011 9:15:25 PM