Gay Marriage | Maine | News

Watch: Chair of Maine's 'Yes on 1' Campaign, Which Banned Same-Sex Marriage, Expresses Regret in New Doc

S4mm

Question 1 is a new documentary shot during Maine's successful "Yes on 1" campaign to overturn the state's marriage equality law, utilizing interviews with players on both sides.

The Portland Press Herald rightly reports that the take-away in this documentary, which was filmed during the campaign on the condition that it not be screened before the election, is the regret expressed by the leader of the anti-gay initiative.

Says Marc Mutty, public affairs director for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Maine, and chair of the "Yes on 1" campaign in the film's trailer:

"This has been a f**kin' son of a bitch. This has been awful. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it...I fear I'll be remembered for the work I did on this campaign...[I'm asking...] for forgiveness for the ways in which I might have betrayed my own self in this endeavor."

Watch it and weep, AFTER THE JUMP...

More:

"One of the problems that I have: I know what we need to do and what we need to do is slam people over the head, not only with a two-by-four, but a two-by-four with nails sticking out of it. ... Unfortunately, I think it's a lousy approach, but it's the only thing we've got and it's the only way. That's the way campaigns work. And we use a lot of hyberbole, and I think that's always dangerous. You know, we say things like 'Teachers will be forced to (teach same-sex marriage)!' Well, that's not a completely accurate statement and we all know it isn't, you know? ... Let's look back at our ads and see what we say. And I think we use hyperbole to a point where, you know, it's like 'Gee-ee-eez!'"

Comments

1. It's good to hear regret. You reap what you sow. Now drown in it. People should regret things more often until it drives them insane and they start doing what they should have been doing all along, not that they can ever really undo the damage they've caused.

Posted by: luminum | Apr 18, 2011 4:43:41 PM

2. I keep waiting for people to see the light BEFORE they do harm, rather than long after. But still, good to see yet another change of heart.

Posted by: Kári | Apr 18, 2011 4:46:55 PM

3. Yeah, you'll be remembered for the work you did on this campaign, Mr. Mutty. And we're going to do our damnest to make sure that this is your ONLY legacy, you bastard. No one forced you to become a political whore and do whatever you could to win, no matter how many decent people got hurt in the process.

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Apr 18, 2011 4:51:36 PM

4. Actually, this received very little national press, particularly compared to CA.

Posted by: anon | Apr 18, 2011 5:01:36 PM

5. i will never be able to fathom some people. at least that man showed he has a soul, unlike most of those people.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 18, 2011 5:02:47 PM

6. It's always good to remember that there are no gods. There just aren't. It doesn't take a lot of brain power to understand this, so there's no excuse for believing otherwise.

The people who devote themselves to any religious fantasy and sow destruction in its name are a complete and total waste of space. It's a shame that they're here and we'll be better off when they're gone. The irony is that they think they'll be better off when they're gone, too, but we'd like to actually enjoy the only lives any of us are ever going to get.

Posted by: ohplease | Apr 18, 2011 5:05:27 PM

7. "Betrayed my own self in this endeavor."

IOW, HE'S GAY!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 18, 2011 5:08:28 PM

8. "all you have to do is create doubt, you don't have to convice them that you're right''

Posted by: Alex | Apr 18, 2011 5:08:52 PM

9. "Does that make me a horrible person?"

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 18, 2011 5:09:22 PM

10. I'm so tired of hearing apologies and regret AFTER someone has screwed over a whole community of its civil rights.

If you KNOW what's right, yet CHOOSE to do what's wrong, you DESERVE to be remembered for it -- in the worst possible light history can shine.

Posted by: sparks | Apr 18, 2011 5:09:39 PM

11. F**k him and if he is gay, I hope his friends and acquaintances drop his pathetic ass from all interactions. How does anyone feel good about singling out an entire class of people for discrimination. F**k the catholic church that he worked for too.

Posted by: lk | Apr 18, 2011 5:16:51 PM

12. When somebody's frame of reference is so small that they have to ask "does this make me a bad person?" while gloating like a demon, they've already conceded to pettiness and to being utterly opposed to their own Christ figure. Hope this movie inspires a righteous rage for LGBT Mainers to fight--with fire--as if their lives depended on it.

Posted by: Josh | Apr 18, 2011 5:23:27 PM

13. You want forgiveness, shithead? Here's what you do.

You stand up, appear before the television cameras and the reporters, and you say this:

People of maine: I lied to you in order to get you to vote against same-sex marriage. I deliberately appealed to bigotry in order to further the political goals of conservative religion.

Everything i said was lie intended to deceive you. to make up for that, i am sponsoring a new initiative campaign in Maine to put same-sex marriage back into our laws.

I will do everything i can to undo the damage I did. I ask the people of Maine to forgive me. I ask especially the gay and lesbian couples in our state, to whom I intentionally did great harm in the name of prejudice, especially to forgive me.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Apr 18, 2011 5:37:07 PM

14. Did anybody else notice that everybody in that trailer looks alike?

Seriously--the woman who asked, "does that make me a horrible person?" I'd answer that Jesus seemed to think self-righteousness makes people pretty horrible.

She said that god's word says blahblahblah, thus proving that the book she's not all that familiar with her bible.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 18, 2011 5:41:02 PM

15. i can't recall anywhere in the bible where god said marriage can only be between a man and a woman.

Posted by: alguien | Apr 18, 2011 5:59:52 PM

16. So the official representative of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Maine -- who PAID HIM to perpetrate our persecution -- actually goes into this interview and characterizes his own rhetoric as "not completely an accurate statement." What bravery! What courage! What introspection!

Guess what, Bozo -- the rest of us call it what it is: LYING.

And you're doing this for GOD? REALLY? Ya might wanna look into that...

(And doesn't even YOUR god frown on F-bombs, S.O.B.'s and other potty-mouth?)

Posted by: Justin N in OakLawn, Dallas, TX | Apr 18, 2011 6:00:05 PM

17. Wasn't this filmed during the campaign. So even during the campaign he had these issues with what he was doing (in terms of the hyperbole and his general actions).

Seems pretty despicable to me. And even if that part wasn't filmed after, the fact that he fought so hard only to have such regrets in a matter of days is disgusting.

Posted by: Joe | Apr 18, 2011 6:23:53 PM

18. Finally. A catholic who admits to molesting.

Posted by: Go Galt. Please. | Apr 18, 2011 6:31:50 PM

19. You would think that a person who ran a successful statewide campaign would have enough media savvy not to share links to erotic stories about swingers on his public Facebook page. Especially as an employee of a Catholic Diocese. :)

Posted by: multitudes | Apr 18, 2011 6:41:10 PM

20. Thank God for the digital age. Your children and grandchildren will remember forever what you were involved. And someday, they will be ashamed of you.

Posted by: loki7329 | Apr 18, 2011 7:09:21 PM

21. Now he wants forgiveness after knowing what he was a party to during that disgustingly hateful campaign?! It's just like a Papist to commit the sin knowing he can ask the Catholic Church to forgive his sin -- and believe it is forgiven! Just like Pontius Pilate, commit the innocent man to death and then wash his hands of the whole matter. So, no, I'll not forgive you you homophobic coward.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Apr 18, 2011 7:14:07 PM

22. NOWHERE in his statement does he repudiate his opposition to equal marriage, he just claims to regret having to lie so often and so baldly in order to win. And that's what ALL anti marriage equality campaigns do, they lie loudly and often in order to scare voters to agree with them. "Churches will be FORCED to marry gay people!" "Children will learn about gay sex in kindergarten!" "Straight marriages will be destroyed!" And it's ALL a goddamn lie and they know it.

So don't expect pity, forgiveness, or sympathy after the fact. Don't even bother asking for it unless you really change and spend the same amount of time exposing the lies as you did spreading them. Otherwise you're just emotionally jacking off and I don't want to hear it.

Posted by: greenmanTN | Apr 18, 2011 7:16:01 PM

23. Ditto to what Ben in Oakland said above.

Posted by: hephaestion | Apr 18, 2011 7:21:50 PM

24. "I'm glad they didn't win. Does that make me a bad person?"

Yes. It does. Because bigotry is a bad thing.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2011 8:29:25 PM

25. I worked on the NO on 1 campaign, and was devastated that bigotry and fear won in the end.

However... "I do not pretend to understand the moral universe; the arc is a long one, my eye reaches but little ways; I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. And from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice." -- Theodore Parker, Unitarian minister, 1853

Posted by: SteveinMaine | Apr 18, 2011 9:14:23 PM