Gay Pride | News | Rome

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Europride Roma Kissing Gladiators Ad Upsets Conservatives

Europride

An animated video spot for 2011 Europride Roma which features two gladiators locked in a romantic embrace is, of course upsetting conservatives in Italy.

Stefano Bolognini at Europride Roma writes us that the idea was inspired by archeological graffito found many years ago in the Ludus Mugnus (the school of roman gladiators).

Bolognini says that  some local right wing politicians have declared the ad “unconstitutional”.

EuroPride Roma 2011 takes place on June 11.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. SWORD FIGHT!

Posted by: Randy | Apr 29, 2011 12:45:28 PM

2. When in Rome ...

Posted by: Philo | Apr 29, 2011 1:04:51 PM

3. I guess Italian conservatives don't really know what's in their constitution either.

Posted by: bah | Apr 29, 2011 2:02:45 PM

4. Meanwhile it's okay for their PM to be involved in orgies. . .

Posted by: MT | Apr 29, 2011 2:04:02 PM

5. That's a GREAT commercial! And I love the "Samurai Jack" style of the animation.

Posted by: Chuck Anziulewicz | Apr 29, 2011 2:20:11 PM

6. Nice animation- the conservatives would have preferred that the two hunky gladiators hacked themselves to death instead than making love?!

Posted by: jaragon | Apr 29, 2011 6:02:26 PM

7. Pretty weak if you ask me....

Posted by: Steve | Apr 29, 2011 7:03:24 PM

8. The gladiators have 'Wiley E. Coyote' feet.

Posted by: Eddie | Apr 29, 2011 8:12:42 PM

9. How is it 'unconstitutional' LOL?

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 29, 2011 9:02:54 PM

10. I thought that was quite cheesy actually (I did like the girl on girl smooch, nice!) - it needed some kind of signposting in the middle of all the warrior posturing. On sheer technical story-boarding terms the embrace was too much of a turn-around - and that makes it cheesy. I liked the bit about the colour change of the external arena and eruption into happy support, that was cute.

To call it 'unconstitutional', what a howler! Those conservatives are really not with it, are they.

Posted by: Giselle | Apr 30, 2011 5:49:08 AM

11. This reminds me of an MTV spot years ago - two gunmen in the Wild West are facing each other with guns at the ready. They slowly start stepping toward each other, apparently getting ready to shoot. Then at the last minute they drop their guns and start to waltz together. The tag line appears over that, something like "Would you feel better if they had killed each other?"

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Apr 30, 2011 12:40:37 PM

12. I'm embarrassed to out myself as a total linguistic dork, and it's probably a typo, but I'm pretty sure it's Ludus Magnus (not mugnus).

Ugh f*ck this is why I'm single!

Posted by: Andrew | May 1, 2011 9:37:59 PM

13. I love this spot. Really well done.
    If the folks in Rome go ahead like this with their preparations for EuoPride in June it should become a major gay event in Europe this year.

Posted by: Patroc Rome | May 5, 2011 7:47:21 AM