Comments

1. gerbear says

So if this archbishop is next assigned to a post in Africa, where the majority of individuals with AIDS are heterosexual; will he tell them that it’s ” a sort of intrinsic justice?” Just wondering…..

2. BC says

Real mature. This is how we have civil conversations? This is how we change peoples minds? REALLY? This is how we show society that we are not immature and self-absorbed in the way they like to stereotype us? Things like this only cause more problems. It does us NO good at all. This one act just pissed off a bunch of Catholics who were “middle of the road” or even more liberal. Don’t we want to change their minds? Or at least get them to be open minded? Stupid crap like this will not achieve that goal.

3. Chadd says

If the head of HRC or EQCA or LCR was hit with a cream pie in the face, we would be outraged. While I get the point and believe the archbishop deserves much more than a face full of cream pie, I don’t believe that a physical attack on someone’s person (regardless of whether or not pain was inflicted) is an appropriate action.

4. Hank says

The Belgian church is also in the middle of one of the worst pedophile priest scandals anywhere, and the Belgian police raided the Archbishop’s palace last year to collect evidence. The credibility of the church with the general public over there is basically zero at this point – a joke would be the nicest thing anyone would say about it. In that context, this protest is actually extremely gentle, and smart public relations for gay people, by reminding everyone what a joke the church is.

5. X says

I don’t know how I feel about this. There is a HUGE part of me that wants revenge against a Church that has inflicted so much harm to me, and a cream pie to the face of this one guy seems so little in comparison those harms. On the other hand, I don’t want to start a pie war. On the other other hand, a pie war might be tasty.

6. Paul R says

No, it’s not the most mature thing, but as the article notes, these pie attacks have been going on for years and are not a gay initiative.

I don’t see how it could change anyone’s mind about anything (except maybe the victim, who will likely be embarrassed and/or claim the mantle of victimhood and/or become more obsessed with demonizing whatever got him pied in the first place). But there are worse things in the world. The absurdity of it seems to be the main point.

I recall back when it was fairly common and the guy had broken a lot of security nets and hit a bunch of very famous, powerful people. But when he tried to do it to (I think) the then-president of the World Bank, he not only evaded the attack, he tried to punch the hell out of the guy!