Hockey | Kevin Smith

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Kevin Smith Marries Same-Sex Couple on Nightline

Smith
On last night's installment of Nightline, film director/actor Kevin Smith married a same-sex couple, both of who are also big Los Angeles Kings fans, in a hockey themed ceremony complete with jerseys and fake sport-related injuries. Said Smith: "If you're getting married here, you're really interesting.... If you're getting married in hockey jerseys, and making me wear a referee jersey, and you're gay, and you're here, and you're huge hockey fans, we're in for a great show."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. So much for the myth of gay men and taste.

Some days I think we're fighting for the right to be idiots.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 23, 2011 3:07:21 PM

2. I thought it was sweet and non-conventional. When your are that age, there's just absolutely no reason to do things the traditional way; ham them up a little!

Posted by: Jackson | Apr 23, 2011 3:43:08 PM

3. I also have to say I'm quite surprised ABC showed the kisses. Was this a midnight report?

Posted by: Jackson | Apr 23, 2011 3:43:53 PM

4. Awww, come on. Is just silly and sweet, like a wedding should be but with a quirky sense of humor. Some people like being married in Star trek costumes. Some people have oriental marriages with dances and all. Others are married by pædophile priests. I'm quite sure these big guys love each other, share a passion for sports and Kevin Smith was really sensitive towards the nature of their affection and feelings.

Why you have to be so cynical Bryan? At the end there's a place for everyone in this world... that's the magic of it.

Posted by: Felipe | Apr 23, 2011 4:07:58 PM

5. Since I'm not bourgeois enough to appreciate all the trappings of a 'Traditional' wedding, I don't what the fuss is. They were just goofing for the TV exposure.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 23, 2011 4:08:07 PM

6. Soon Kevin Smith will need more than two seats on a plane and will be forced to fly in the cargo hold.

Posted by: milpert | Apr 23, 2011 5:32:05 PM

7. "So much for the myth of gay men and taste."

Oh, yes, Bryan, the world needs another pair of uber-homos getting married in Prada. Get over yourself.

"Some days I think we're fighting for the right to be idiots."

That's EXACTLY what equality means: the right to be as idiotically happy as anyone else. Kudos to them. Bryan can shove it.

Posted by: John | Apr 23, 2011 5:54:06 PM

8. Congratulations to our customers Michael & Scott! The wedding ticket invitations featured at the 2:45 mark were created by sportsthemedweddings.com.

Posted by: Hans Steiniger | Apr 23, 2011 6:28:27 PM

9. I myself do not judge gays .and if anyone of my family members were gay iwould be in shock butt i would still love him or her and embrace it

Posted by: sandra | Apr 23, 2011 9:38:34 PM

10. @ John.
    Well said. Dismissing them is like dismissing diversity, which Bryan should focus on, instead of talking crap.

Posted by: stranded | Apr 23, 2011 10:08:50 PM

11. "Holy feces! Kevin Smith needs a crash diet intervention! My vision of him will forever be from Jay and Silent Bob, but time flies that's for sure. I wonder how Jay is doing."

He has been on a crash diet; he's lost nearly eighty pounds.

And yes, this is as silly as any theme wedding. And just as valid. I think Kevin's married other gay couples in a more conventional fashion though, if the tackiness is that offensive.

Posted by: Zach | Apr 23, 2011 10:44:17 PM

12. I'd have preferred a serious segment on SSM and civil unions, etc., but Nightline ain't what it used to be.

Posted by: BobN | Apr 23, 2011 11:24:16 PM

13. Bryan, what a tacky-ass comment. Guess you have no taste either. Their style of wedding doesn't affect anyone else and makes them happy. More power to them.

Posted by: redball | Apr 24, 2011 8:33:59 AM

14. Damn, Canadian gay hockey fans will be J they didn't get married like this first!

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Apr 24, 2011 10:26:58 AM

15. I know Mike personally, and he is a great guy. Congrats Mike! And your hubby is a cutie too hehe.

Yes it aired just before midnight.

Not all gay men are pretentious assholes who are only seen in designer labels trying to impress everyone, like those nitwits on the A List. And thank God for that!

Posted by: Kurt | Apr 24, 2011 4:01:25 PM

16. What fun! I love the idea of darkening out some teeth on one's wedding day. It is sort of John Waters-esque. LOL. Congratulations Michael and Scott!

Posted by: Angela Channing | Apr 24, 2011 7:39:02 PM

17. I despise Kevin Smith's Silent Bob film which uses the word "f#ggot" dozens of times. But if he keeps performing gay weddings and never puts "f#ggot" in another movie, maybe I can cease hating him.

Posted by: hephaestion | Apr 24, 2011 9:28:26 PM

18. @Hephaeston
    Since you clearly haven't seen the Kevin Smith movie you're critiquing, let me enlighten you:
    GLAAD's disgusting blackmailing of the film and director--give us money and we promise not to keep calling you a bigot in public--completely missed the point that every character that uses the word in the movie is an idiot.
    Smith made his point. Too bad censorious A-gay organizations and their followers are so stupid they didn't "get" it.

Posted by: Dave Barton | Apr 25, 2011 1:33:34 AM