Alabama | News | weather

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Massive Tornado Rips Through Tuscaloosa

Tuscaloosa

The death toll from the recent outbreak of tornados across the eastern and southern part of the country has climbed to 160, according to CNN. Below, a map from the Weather Channel showing preliminary tornado reports since Monday.

A massive tornado ravaged Tuscaloosa, Alabama yesterday, and many people caught the terrifying F4 monster on video.

I've posted a few of them, AFTER THE JUMP...

Stay safe, people, and if there is severe weather in your area, pay attention to the news! Our thoughts go out to any readers who have been affected by these storms.

Tornadomap

Comments

1. I don't understand how this could happen in conservative, God-fearing Alabama. Folks down there consistently vote against queers so what's Pat Robertson's explanation for this terrible devastation?

Posted by: Danny | Apr 28, 2011 7:06:24 AM

2. You think maybe GOD is a little piss at them & Pat Robertson?

Posted by: Rocky | Apr 28, 2011 7:24:53 AM

3. OMG! That's some scary sh#@! My parents and my sister's family live in north Alabama. I got in touch with them and made sure they were OK. They are fine, but electricity is out everywhere.

Posted by: Kelly in Atlantic City | Apr 28, 2011 7:29:55 AM

4. "well, the grounds about torn up, houses gone, business is gone....car gone...but hey, at least them thar gays can't git married"

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Apr 28, 2011 8:04:31 AM

5. I don't understand. There weren't any gay pride parades here, so why is God's wrath coming down?

Posted by: taodon | Apr 28, 2011 8:56:40 AM

6. The comments were easier to predict than the weather. Focus people. 170+ are dead.

Posted by: Diogenes | Apr 28, 2011 9:19:32 AM

7. Upon being asked for help, Jesus replied: Sorry kids, that's Mother Nature's department, can't do a thing here.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Apr 28, 2011 9:19:47 AM

8. Over 190 people are dead as a result of these storms. Can we please stow the snark and think about the loss of real human life and the massive, unimaginable destruction for just a few minutes?

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Apr 28, 2011 9:26:19 AM

9. None of the Evangelicals blaming gays on this series of disasters? Oh wait, that's because GOD is pissed at them for their sins and the way they treat his gay children!!! PRAISE THE LORD! Amen

Posted by: CB | Apr 28, 2011 9:39:20 AM

10. They get some seriously bad weather. It's very rare to get tornadoes here in Boston, or even hurricanes. The occasional winter storm, but that's about it. It was p/c and 80 degrees yesterday.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 28, 2011 9:39:54 AM

11. i realize a lot of people are dear and there is much damage but this is in a region where people always use the term will of god when
    something happens to gays. pat robertson blamed the haitian earthquake on the will of god. maybe this is his way to teach them to stop hating so much. the bible belt has suffered much of the disaster. gods way of teaching people to love thy neighbor?

Posted by: walter | Apr 28, 2011 11:57:31 AM

12. No one deserves to die so horribly. I don't care how anti-gay or Bible-belt their region of the country is. I may disagree with people, but that does not now or EVER mean I wish horrible natural disasters on them, despite what they may wish on me. I happen to be agnostic and I am praying for those affected by this, no matter WHAT they think of me. And I suggest those of you who believe in the power of prayer do the same.

Posted by: AJ | Apr 28, 2011 12:11:30 PM

13. Sorry...Id like to take the high road...I REALLY would...but after being condemened for every other disaster in the world sinply for existing by the VAST majority of this section of the country,...i cant help but do a little dance. My heart goes out to the innocents that had the misfortune of being stuck in that region of the country through no fault of their own. The rest...lets ask whom God is punishing now. Frankly we need a couple of hurricanes and river floods to finish the job.

Posted by: JT | Apr 28, 2011 12:26:20 PM

14. A minor point, but if you believe in the power of prayer, you're not really agnostic.

That map is terrifying, though. I'm sorry to hear that so many people are going through such tough times.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 28, 2011 1:07:12 PM

15. Many open-minded, lgbtqa, and other non bible thumping people were hurt or lost everything. I am a UA student, and many of my friends, coworkers, and, really, second family members were affected.

Rarely do I say this, but please, cut some of the hateful banter. Sorry to be a spoilsport, but it's unreal how much destruction I have seen over the past 24 hours. Neighborhoods, businesses, hell....some of Tuscaloosa's main roads are just parking lots now.

Keep Alabama in your thoughts, and maybe your prayers, if you are open-minded enough to believe in that.

Thanks,
    Colin

Posted by: Colin | Apr 29, 2011 12:26:19 AM

16. Just asking, am I correct in thinking that the tornado's hit in all the states that don't have same-sex marriage? Maybe Gawd is sending those religious types a message, that his wrath is an equal opportunity employer!

Posted by: Chris Cook | Apr 29, 2011 5:52:16 PM