News | Photography

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: The Milky Way from Spain's Highest Mountain

Mountain

A couple weeks ago I posted a stunning time-lapse of the Aurora Borealis shot by Terje Sorgjerd. Here's his latest, from Tenerife in the Canary Islands (which is a good distance from Spain proper). He writes:

This was filmed between 4th and 11th April 2011. I had the pleasure of visiting El Teide.
Spain´s highest mountain @(3718m) is one of the best places in the world to photograph the stars and is also the location of Teide Observatories, considered to be one of the world´s best observatories.

The goal was to capture the beautiful Milky Way galaxy along with one of the most amazing mountains I know El Teide. I have to say this was one of the most exhausting trips I have done. There was a lot of hiking at high altitudes and probably less than 10 hours of sleep in total for the whole week. Having been here 10-11 times before I had a long list of must-see locations I wanted to capture for this movie, but I am still not 100% used to carrying around so much gear required for time-lapse movies.

Also, Sorgjerd notes that the golden effect at 0:32 is caused by a sandstorm that blew in from the Sahara.

Watch, especially if you are looking for a bit of peace in your day, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Thanks for posting these. That was a nice break indeed.

Posted by: K | Apr 19, 2011 7:53:09 PM

2. Quite remarkable...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Apr 19, 2011 8:59:51 PM

3. Stunning. The shots of the Milky Way really put things into perspective, don't they? How insignificant we really are here on our little blue, brown and green touched with white, orb.

Posted by: Perry | Apr 20, 2011 12:40:14 AM

4. tremendous beautiful

Posted by: andnowwhat | Apr 20, 2011 12:54:52 AM

5. "Hawaii is a good distance from US proper" or "Long Island is a good distance from US proper" or "Manhattan is a good distance from US proper" The sights of the Milky Way are a reminder of what marvels we've lost to smog and light pollution.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Apr 20, 2011 9:01:36 AM

6. I think this is fake. You can't see the milky way in those colors. Even the pictures from the telescopes have color added to them. The gases are invisible, so you have to ad color with computer. You can make the case that he added the color to it, but why doesn't he say that himself? Makes you wonder about his honesty, that's all. It's still beautiful, though. Just not as real as its made out to be. Good computer work!

Posted by: jeff | Apr 20, 2011 11:15:06 AM