Alan Ritchson | News | Trevor Donovan

Watch: Trevor Donovan and Alan Ritchson Hook Up on '90210'

90210

Back in January, Michael Ausiello wrote about this upcoming love connection between Teddy (Trevor Donovan) and his former prep school roommate Tripp (Alan Ritchson).

This episode isn't airing until tonight, but thanks to YouTube and the fact that the show aired on Saturday night in Canada, here are the essential nine minutes (at least for the time being).

Watch (spoilers, obviously), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. OK, i cannot get up from my desk

Posted by: George | Apr 18, 2011 1:24:34 PM

2. I can testify to oyu all that NO ONE at Exeter looks like either of these guys...

Posted by: Exeter | Apr 18, 2011 1:36:32 PM

3. I meant to say 'you' in the above post.

Posted by: Exeter | Apr 18, 2011 1:37:06 PM

4. JEEZ.
    One day they will show gay people in a committed relationship. We don't all sleep around in open relationships.

Posted by: T | Apr 18, 2011 1:37:11 PM

5. Was anyone even remotely convinced by that makeout scene? Almost as bad as a Sean Cody video.

Posted by: Ioann | Apr 18, 2011 1:56:05 PM

6. It's nice Teddy has an actice life with guys, but other than that, silly story line, but it is 90210.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 18, 2011 1:58:52 PM

7. "I thought this sort of thing only happened in magazines. One night, at a bar, I bumped into my old roommate, Tripp..."

Posted by: Latebrosus | Apr 18, 2011 2:10:16 PM

8. T, nice judgement! Are you on the Focus on the Family payroll?

You act like network TV regularly shows gay characters in non-monogamous relationships all the time. That's just not true. Most LGBT characters exist in the periphery and lack any sort of love life. Shows like Modern Family, Brothers and Sisters, and Glee with more developed characters still have story lines that avoid almost any same-sex sex. Most single gay characters on TV rarely date, let alone have hook-ups.

Reality check: A lot of guys aren't in committed relationships. And many guys who are in very committed relationships aren't completely monogamous. So this portrayal is pretty accurate of many guys, especially young guys. But even if it didn't, why does every portrayal of a gay guy need to conform to your particular narrow standard?

I for one am totally impressed by this clip. This is appearing on a US broadcast network during the 8 p.m. hour and was produced by CBS Productions. I am old enough to remember the original 90210, with no main LGBT character, and Melrose Place, with its totally neutered gay character, who (SHOCKINGLY at the time) once hugged the only date they let him have all season.

Regardless of how you feel about monogamy, let's give props to this show and the GREAT progress that it highlights.

Posted by: Guy from OH | Apr 18, 2011 2:18:35 PM

9. I'd offer a slight twist of T's point. Less about the issue of open relationships but more about the need to put the open relationship thing in there right away.

I happen to be one of those people in a non-monogamous committed relationship; but even I was bugged by the addition of that element here. They could have left it as a one night stand / hookup without adding in that layer because it did feel like a bit of a vilification (on a number of levels).

Posted by: hightemp | Apr 18, 2011 2:32:50 PM

10. AAAAAAWWWWKKKWWAAAAAAARRRRDDD!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Apr 18, 2011 2:40:34 PM

11. Pretty innocuous if you ask me.

Posted by: Manhattanvince | Apr 18, 2011 3:14:21 PM

12. I watched it FRIDAY night on GlobalTV (I assume they moved it up a week to avoid Good Friday stat holiday this week which would have lost viewers and caused feeble protests from the Canadian god crowd). 90210-land is a weird place; in seven minutes of screen-time, Teddy (1) makes a hook-up date with Marco and gets slammed for being slutty (2) has a surprise tongue attack in a bar by his old roommate (3) meets his hookup's BF (4) converts from a playa to a lova and (5) makes a new romantic date with Marco! Elsewhere, Adrianna gets a sunburn.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Apr 18, 2011 3:30:04 PM

13. Some of the boys were this cute at Choate ;)

Posted by: T | Apr 18, 2011 3:42:35 PM

14. Umm, the whole point of the one night stand and then having the boyfriend pop up was to help Teddy's character make a decision to "get back on the burro" and pursue a romantic relationship with the tennis guy. I don't think they "demonized" the open relationship at all, just presented it as what worked for that couple. Some people choose monogamy and some people want an open relationship, whether they are gay or straight. Not everyone wants the same thing and as long as there is honesty, where is the shame?

Posted by: RONTEX | Apr 18, 2011 3:45:13 PM

15. is Teddy a top or a bottom?

Posted by: Johnn | Apr 18, 2011 4:17:06 PM

16. ...I can't really tell these two apart.

Posted by: poison | Apr 18, 2011 4:36:55 PM

17. Oh, man, I wish gay men in real life were like the straight actors who are pretending to be them. (When have you ever seen a gay guy do a "chest bump" in real life?) Maybe in another lifetime. Sigh.

These episodes just play to all our fantasies, I am afraid. I guess there is nothing that wrong with that--I mean, to some extent, that is what Hollywood is supposed to be all about, isn't it?

Even so, the contrast between the fantasy and reality can be a little depressing.....

Posted by: Rick | Apr 18, 2011 4:38:12 PM

18. Ten years ago they would have zoomed out to a wide shot when the kiss happened. Now, they are zooming all the way in.

Pretty awesome.

Posted by: Joe | Apr 18, 2011 4:53:44 PM

19. @Rick I chestbumped last night. My team won flip cup.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | Apr 18, 2011 6:22:17 PM

20. @Rick: Straight-acting gay guys do exist, they are just hard to find. :)

Posted by: Jason 2 | Apr 18, 2011 7:51:54 PM

21. What I find most annoying about this is the idea that a gay character's choice to be single and nsa can be determined within one episode. Usually a straight character will have this as their whole angle with the introduction of a love interest that changes their perception later in the series. Here its a simple trial and error that ends like an idiotic sitcom of "oh well, guess I learned my lesson of the day". To me it screams of pandering to a hetero-normative idea of dating and a way to make the gay character soo normal and precious its a bit sickeningly faux. Maybe in ten years we'll get something a bit more honest and less concerned about alienating the audience.

Posted by: Toto | Apr 18, 2011 8:16:03 PM

22. OK, so I can't watch the clip right now (electronics issue or something), but plan to when I head home. To T, I feel ya--almost; I'm with OH G on this one. Hollywood, funny as usual, thank you. And Toto, at least ur nuanced but I'll have to watch to see if I agree.

I'm totally stoked to check this out tho. Imagine if I became a 902010 fan again, lol.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 18, 2011 10:31:23 PM

23. I loved it. I know they look super straight, but they are so hot. And I think of Teddy as just feeling his way, moving from trying to be straight, to knowing and trying to accept that he's gay. He's figuring himself out. And part of that "figuring" is discovering that he's the "relationship type!" So what's wrong with that? I had lots of one-nighter's but I'm the relationship type. Doesn't seem that far from reality to me, except that all of the guys looked super straight.

Posted by: mudgeboy | Apr 18, 2011 11:23:02 PM

24. George,
    your ¨Ok I cannot get up from my desk now¨ made me laugh hysterically!
    Thanks

Posted by: Michel Filion | Apr 18, 2011 11:44:41 PM

25. Teddy's plot went from a snail's pace, that had lost me as a viewer last season, to 60 mph overnight. I laughed out loud when Teddy got the surprise kiss that came out of nowhere (Go, Teddy!) but maybe that was the intended effect.

@Rick: All the soap shows have always been all about fantasy. If your fantasy is to greet your friends with a chest bump, have at it! If that's not the group you click with now, it might well not be if you were straight, either.
    In real life, how many people of any orientation are as beautiful as these people? Go out on the sidewalk and count how many men walk by before one is as beautiful looking as Teddy. You may be there for years.
    I can hear women across America watching this episode and sighing: "I wish straight men were like these guys."

Posted by: Gregv | Apr 18, 2011 11:53:47 PM