News | Weird Al Yankovic

UPDATE: Lady Gaga Approves Weird Al 'Born This Way' Parody

Weirdal

UPDATED BELOW>>>

"Weird Al" Yankovic is taking public a denial by Lady Gaga to allow him to put a parody recording of "Born This Way" on his forthcoming album.

Listen to it, AFTER THE JUMP...

He says that he asked Gaga's management for permission, and tells the story in a blog post:

A couple days later we got the final word: Lady Gaga says “no.”

*silent scream*

And that’s it. As of this posting, I still don’t know specifically what kind of problem she has with the song (obviously I take a few jabs at her, but y’know, it’s satire – that’s how it’s supposed to work). And I’m especially confused as to why she waited until I actually recorded the song (at her insistence!) before saying no. It’s not like there were any surprises in the finished song that she couldn’t have foreseen by, you know, READING THE LYRICS.

A conventional release for the song and video would have also raised a nice chunk of change for the HRC – an organization which I have to assume Gaga supports. Hopefully, if fans enjoy hearing the song online, they’ll make a donation anyway.

So, "Weird Al" has posted it on YouTube, and it's amusing in the way "Weird Al" is amusing, which is to say it's satire, and not anything that folks haven't mocked about her before.

Listen to it, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: Lady Gaga denies blocking the release of Weird Al's song.

TMZ

...sources extremely close to the singer tell us, "There must have been a misunderstanding because [Gaga] is in no way trying to block the release of the parody."

According to sources, "She's busy touring and hasn't heard the song yet. Her manager hasn't had a chance to play it for her yet" -- adding, "She's a huge Weird Al fan."

UPDATE II — Weird Al writes:

Apparently the fact that she didn’t approve it was news to Lady Gaga herself!

Gaga’s manager has now admitted that he never forwarded my parody to Gaga – she had no idea at all. Even though we assumed that Gaga herself was the one making the decision (because, well, that’s what we were TOLD), he apparently made the decision completely on his own.

He’s sorry.

And Gaga loves the song.

I’m thrilled on many levels to hear this, because 1) I truly respect and admire Gaga as an artist and it pained me to think of her as having less than a great sense of humor, and 2) it means I GET TO PUT OUT MY ALBUM!

Listen to it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Pfft, if I were an artist I wouldn't want people to capitalize on my hard work while trying to put me down.

But enough about that, Weird Al has always annoyed me.

Posted by: Kameron.G | Apr 20, 2011 2:08:29 PM

2. Amazing. Parody is defined fair use, so legally, Kameron, he's not "capitalizing."

Posted by: Brian | Apr 20, 2011 2:13:03 PM

3. he hit the nail on the head.

Posted by: Eddie | Apr 20, 2011 2:16:27 PM

4. "Everyday is Halloween for me" ... haha, did he ask Al Jourgensen for permission too?

Posted by: nodnarb | Apr 20, 2011 2:27:24 PM

5. I want to impartial here, as much as I have a general distaste for Gaga, but reading his full blog post, it sucks that she demanded to actually physically hear the song after he already offered the lyrics to her and then after he went through all the trouble of mixing and recording it, she said no.

And he's right, parody is fair use, so it's fine for him to make capital off of it, capital that was ALL going to HRC. It's only because he has a PERSONAL policy of getting the original artists' blessings before releasing a track for profit that he didn't release it as an actual single, hence posting it online.

Gotta say, it doesn't make her look good. She takes herself way too seriously.

Posted by: luminum | Apr 20, 2011 2:28:50 PM

6. Really it's kind of lame, but in a funny way. I don't think a spoof, and there are plenty of them, ever hurt anyone, so I don't know why she didn't allow it.

Posted by: Mark | Apr 20, 2011 2:29:40 PM

7. I didn't realize that Weird Al had such a sense of entitlement.
    He sounds like a cry-baby....strange for a grown man to be all pissed off that he can't realease his song.

Hey, I can't go home now from the office. I want to, but I can't.
    Who do I cry to?

Posted by: Marc | Apr 20, 2011 2:30:41 PM

8. Haha, and by being so self-serious, she proves that his parody is accurate! Loves it.

Posted by: AdamA | Apr 20, 2011 2:34:20 PM

9. Weird Al has traditionally gotten written permission before releasing all of his parodies, even though he doesn't have to here in the US. I guess this is his way of being "nice". This song isn't particularly funny though, perhaps that was the problem.

Posted by: anon | Apr 20, 2011 2:35:07 PM

10. I think Lady Gaga doesn't want anyone else parodying her because her next album is going to do it for her. She clearly doesn't want to oversaturate the market.

Posted by: jay1980 | Apr 20, 2011 2:36:15 PM

11. You would think after the vast number of artists who have allowed him use of their songs (Madonna, Michael Jackson, even Nirvana) that she'd realize it's kind of an honor to have him do a parody of a song. Refusing it to be released looks bad and just comes off humorless...oh wait, she is.

Posted by: RJ | Apr 20, 2011 2:39:55 PM

12. Makes me wonder if SHE said, "No." or someone on her management team did. It's a cute parody. The last few Weird Al songs haven't been too good (IMO) but this is like classic Weird Al.
    I bet Lady Gaga gives it her thumbs up within a week, saying it was just a misunderstanding.
    I'd like to think she's cool with it.

Posted by: JimmyD | Apr 20, 2011 2:41:18 PM

13. Weird Al has parodied far bigger pop stars and far bigger and better pop songs.

Lady Gaga needs to get over herself.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 20, 2011 2:51:01 PM

14. In this blog he notes that he technically CAN release the song without the artists permission b/c it's fair use (parody.) He just chooses not to if the artist requests he doesn't. Also, for all we know Gaga never heard it and her manager said "no".

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Apr 20, 2011 2:56:56 PM

15. Good for Gaga for saying no. I wouldn't give my blessing to this cheesy has been either.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Apr 20, 2011 3:03:03 PM

16. Maybe Al is just being nice to ask for permission to satirize, since it's a protected free speech right, or maybe it's just a way of garnering some publicity if the artist says "no".

Posted by: BobN | Apr 20, 2011 3:04:45 PM

17. She's bitter because he beat her to the bee dress idea...

Posted by: Brion | Apr 20, 2011 3:06:38 PM

18. Its funny but since he was planning on giving it to HRC I would have said 'no' too. Meh.

Posted by: Trasker | Apr 20, 2011 3:06:59 PM

19. Ugh. That nasal voice (Weird Al... not Gaga's :)

I can't sit for 5 seconds listening to any of his awful parodies. Anyone could sit down and write the stuff he does over other people's songs. Maybe Gaga or her management were being a little bitchy here, but, really, they did the radio listeners of America a favor.

Posted by: tranquilo | Apr 20, 2011 3:08:36 PM

20. I'm holding off judgement either way. It could simply be that artistically she didn't like the slight of what she was saying in the song.

Yankovic should cover a different song of hers and see what the response is.

That being said, I liked the parody and that's really what it is.

Posted by: Nanny McBone | Apr 20, 2011 3:13:37 PM

21. Weird Al is over. Anyone sitting in front of a MacBook webcam can do what he does.

Posted by: Seriously | Apr 20, 2011 3:24:34 PM

22. spot on ADAMA

ironically gaga has become a parody of herself

sad, because her voice is decent and shows talent despite the heavy computer use ......so the shtick isn't necessary

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Apr 20, 2011 3:26:43 PM

23. Could be because he slipped that "Express Yourself" in there (right after "Who cut the cheese"). It wasn't in the lyrics on the video. She's been pretty sensitive about the number of interviewers asking about the comparison.

Posted by: Jeremy | Apr 20, 2011 3:27:18 PM

24. Not very good, but neither is Born This Way

Posted by: Rob | Apr 20, 2011 3:28:56 PM

25. Gaga is the baddest b!tch of this pop era and I love this hilarious spoof as well.

Posted by: redball | Apr 20, 2011 3:30:46 PM