News: Beard, Wheaton College, Cher, NYC Taxi, Sally Kern

Road Two gay dads, 12 happy kids.

RoadWhite House weighs release of Bin Laden death photo.

Stoneham RoadAdam Lambert track "Aftermath" pivotal in Adelphi University Division 1 soccer player Brandon Stoneham's decision to come out of the closet.

RoadMan shaves beard he grew since 9/11 and vowed to keep until Bin Laden was killed.

RoadA letter from a lesbian mother to a Christian family gets an unexpected response: "Hello, You don’t know me but I walk past your house 3-4 days a week on my break from work. Every time, I'm struck by your 'Yes on Prop 8' sticker. I'm guessing this may not be your intention, but every time I see your sticker, it feels like someone is standing in my face, yelling 'I hate you and I hate your family.' I wanted to let you know what kind of an impact it has."

RoadStudents and alumnae at conservative Christian Wheaton College form LGBT group: "Organizers began reaching out to students last week by passing out informational fliers outside a chapel service. So far, the group has amassed the support of hundreds of alumni and generated so much website traffic that its site crashed, Winn said." Website.

RoadRyan Gosling's traveling outfit is bookish, sockless.

Ferrell_reilly RoadWill Ferrell and John C. Reilly obey the L.A. Lakers kiss cam.

RoadJohn Galliano fires lawyer: "Mr Zerbib was dismissed as Galliano's lawyer some weeks ago following the discovery of apparent irregularities in respect of his firms administration of Galliano's financial affairs over a number of years."

RoadNYT Vows: Pat Dwyer and Stephen Mosher, and White House pastry chef Bill Yosses and Charlie Jandusay Fabella Jr.

RoadAn open letter to Larry Kramer from a younger gay man.

RoadNOM's Maggie Gallagher says King & Spalding dropping DOMA case proves that gays are no longer oppressed: "One thing is clear: This is not a movement that needs extraordinary intervention by the courts to protect its rights. As one blog comment put it: 'Making a blue-chip law firm drop the federal government as a client? Oppressed groups don't usually have that kind of clout.'"

RoadA University of Alabama professor and his partner were among those who lost their house in the recent devastating tornados.

Madonna RoadMadonna looking like a movie star at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala. Video.

RoadPrison Break star Lane Garrison took a break from his clothing.

RoadCher says she was proud of Chaz after seeing the recent documentary about his transition: "I admire my son Chaz's courage for sharing his personal journey. Most important to me is that he is very happy. That's what I care about the most. He has my love and support."

RoadNew York's next taxi will be a Nissan.

RoadOklahoma House votes to reprimand Sally Kern for racist, sexist remarks: "Rep. Sally Kern, R-Oklahoma City, delivered a tearful apology on the House floor, then voted for her own reprimand as it passed on a 76-16 vote. 'Last Wednesday night while debating a bill, I said some words that were not well thought out and that offended many African Americans and many women,' said Kern, who fought back tears and quoted several Bible passages during her apology. 'That was not my intent, but sadly it happened, and I take full responsibility for it and I'm truly sorry. While my words were not expressed well and implied things I did not mean, they were not spoken with any contempt or malice.'"

Comments

1. Ha, that pic of Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly looks like a shot from a recent Rom-Com movie, it's cute and sweet (and will likely just fuel the rumors that Will is on the down-low).

Posted by: RONTEX | May 3, 2011 4:08:30 PM

2. The family with 12 kids.

Amazing.

Posted by: Rowan | May 3, 2011 4:39:38 PM

3. Madonna? Attention seeker.

Where are her kids? Not lourdes! But the others...

Posted by: Rowan | May 3, 2011 4:40:37 PM

4. Good on the Oklahoma House for reprimanding Sally Kern! It's too bad that her inflammatory remarks regarding gays and lesbians, however, will never be meet with such legislative action ... or with an apology from Kern. Regardless of her apology, no matter how tearful or heartfelt, she's still a bigot.

Posted by: Roger | May 3, 2011 4:47:49 PM

5. @Rowan The kids are probably at home like those of the other attendees. Why would the kids want to attend a stuffy & boring gala?

Posted by: Vince | May 3, 2011 5:27:03 PM

6. As a recent Wheaton alumnus, the news about OneWheaton warms my heart. I hope despondent students will see that it definitely gets better. As a gay Christian, I can attest to that.

Posted by: Andrew | May 3, 2011 6:43:39 PM

7. What NOM doesn't understand is that political power isn't measured by a single event.

You have to look at history, and at the big picture. For example, are LGBT people represented at all levels of government, in proportion to their population? No. There has never been an out LGBT president. For that matter, there has never been a female president. Even though women are a majority, they are not politically powerful, and this is one reason that laws protecting women are appropriate. Same for LGBT people.

Posted by: Randy | May 3, 2011 6:59:02 PM

8. sally kern is deeply sorry but will do the same thing again and again, because that is what believes. too bad a tornado didn't drop a house on this witch.

Posted by: walter | May 3, 2011 7:16:33 PM

9. I have to say I disagree with JRickys letter..I agree 100% with Mr. Kramer's views on the community right now..I'm 27 and am a new yorker..With most of my gay friends really none care about the cause..there might be 1 that truly gets involved in helping the cause and I mean involved by not just donating $20 to a gay charity but by knocking on doors, fundraising, getting into politics, etc and it's sad but it's true and Larry calls us on it. That's what I love about Larry..if we want a change we need to be A Gay Army and 1 out of 10 does not an army make..otherwise good letter

Posted by: Tonynyc | May 3, 2011 7:33:02 PM

10. I agree with tonynyc. I find that I usually agree with Kramer when he calls our our community for it's inaction, but I tend to disagree with Kramer's historical research methods. I also, for the most part, disagree with the queer theory approach to historical research. In particular, queer theory always wants to view historical events from a modern perspective and thats a big, big no, no. I understand taking gender as a social construct, and examining it from that point. Queer theory seems to go to far, and almost seems to box the GLBTQ community in more and create evidence that's not really there.

I'm a trained historian, and I enjoy researching marginalized groups and far out post modern things like historical memory, but queer theory, or theory in general, doesn't work in the field of history. Evidence is above all the most important thing to understand and interpret, and it shouldn't be made up or interpreted from a modern perspective.

Posted by: Josh | May 3, 2011 8:43:33 PM

11. I liked the letter to Kramer and found it fairly accurate. Anyone with brains or even common sense knows that you cannot claim an entire generation to be all one way or another.

I'm not saying the letter is perfect. Yes there was a lot of sex in the 1970s, but it wasn't all emptiness. Most of our mainstream exposure started then, in the immediate post-Stonewall years and with Harvey Milk, Leonard Matlovich, and many others leading the charge.

Progress is also occurring today among young activists. To claim that every gay in the 1970s or those who endured the plague years were activists is preposterous---just as it is to say that all young gays today don't care about activism or those who preceded them. Most civil rights movements are advanced by a small core of hard-working, committed people who (hopefully) receive financial and other support from others who can't or won't be full-time activists. The past wasn't idyllic; neither is today. Of course there's always a need for more activism and out people, but we've come a long way.

Many young gays probably aren't more active because they haven't suffered like previous generations. In ever greater numbers they're accepted by their peers, families, and society. Kramer has done many amazing things, but his tendency to paint everything in shrill black and white has always been his Achilles heel.

Posted by: Paul R | May 3, 2011 9:49:35 PM

12. sally kern should be stoned.

Posted by: Sean | May 3, 2011 11:56:26 PM

13. 12 kids: fantastic! Kudos!

Re: Kramer: I, at 46, would afresh with J Ricky's letter. The sad reality is that most people aren't terribly politically aware or active. And all people tend to self-segregate in like-groups, so there are few chances for the youngsters to meet the oldsters. I don't have many opportunities, but when I do, the "kids" seem interested enough.

Posted by: David R. | May 4, 2011 12:16:22 AM

14. And again, I recommend PFLAG Speakers Bureau where you can tell your story to the next generation.

Posted by: David R. | May 4, 2011 12:17:11 AM

15. Thanks for posting on Wheaton College new GLBT group. When I think of Wheaton, I think of Billy Graham. Wow, I know it get's better. I just sent their group one of my favorite images from San Francisco's 1977 Gay Day Parade. It's a girl holding a sign GOD LOVES US and in the background a sign on a building reading Social Security... and together it reads:
    SOCIAL SECURITY GOD LOVES US! With OUT a doubt, it is getting better and if we all pitch in it will happen sooner.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | May 4, 2011 9:51:13 AM

16. Sally Kern's words were NOT misunderstood. She meant every damn word she said! She's only sorry now because people reacted negatively to them. Her apology is meaningless.

Posted by: Mike | May 4, 2011 12:00:59 PM