Armie Hammer | Film | J. Edgar Hoover | Kiss | Leonardo Dicaprio | News

BigGayDeal.com

Armie Hammer Discusses 'Weird Hype' About Kissing a Guy

Hammer_dicaprio

Actor Armie Hammer talked to ET Canada about kissing Leonardo DiCaprio for the upcoming J Edgar biopic:

"It’s the same kind of thing as if you walk onto a set and they hand you a machine gun and [say], 'Shoot this like you know what you’re doing' — you can’t grab that thing and go, 'uh…' — you kind of have to go, 'Okay, I know what I’m doing,' and you’ve just got to go for it. It wasn’t that weird — I have never kissed a guy — it’s not something I’m going to do in my private life, but at the end of it I was, like, man, there is a lot of weird hype."

Comments

1. Please. Have we not grown past this YET?

Posted by: Alexander | May 25, 2011 10:29:19 AM

2. Grown past what? That's what he's saying... all sound and fury signifying nothing.

Posted by: yunin | May 25, 2011 10:31:35 AM

3. He's basically saying, it's just a kiss, so why do people get up in arms about it, or make a big deal of it. It's not a negative statement against same-sex kissing.

Posted by: Francis | May 25, 2011 10:54:22 AM

4. They did a good job with DiCaprio's hair - although it would be hard to match Hoover's repulsiveness.

Posted by: Hank | May 25, 2011 11:18:10 AM

5. well said

Posted by: mstrozfckslv | May 25, 2011 11:52:02 AM

6. Ahh -just saying , if Mr Hammer EVER needs any practice with same sex kissing -ANY practice at all-he can just walk his SIZE FIFTEEN SHOES -yes SIZE 15's over my way....
    ( cant wait to see him in his Lone Ranger gear ....Kemo Sabe.....

Posted by: slippy | May 25, 2011 11:55:16 AM

7. OMG he even permed his hair that movie looks amazing.

Posted by: MIke | May 25, 2011 12:44:51 PM

8. Yet he falls for the hype hook, line and sinker by feeling the need to brandish his heterosexual bonafides in response to the silly question.

I wish these guys would just learn to say, "It was HOT; he's a good kisser...next question" or "It was as boring and unsensational as any screen kiss I've done with any other actor or actress...next question."

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 25, 2011 12:55:05 PM

9. Yawn. He makes me think of melba toast, vanilla ice cream, chinos and tepid tap water.

Posted by: Oliver | May 25, 2011 1:12:25 PM

10. yeah this doesn't really require a lot of discussion. Next time Hammer kisses a woman in a film I want to see the same questions asked, and the reaction. Kissing a guy in a film is non-starter, shame on this reporter for thinking it is.

Posted by: Sean | May 25, 2011 1:43:16 PM

11. I think he was making a positive point. And I didn't find his statement about not having kissed a man before (or expecting to in his private life) to be the old-school, "but I'm not gay, yo!" stuff of the past. It was part of a larger point. Someone who had no experience or interest in doing something has to do it for work and suddenly it's all he's asked about in the press for months on end. When he finally goes to do it, it's essentially no big deal. His gay-friendly comments about the film and the kiss to the press are the context we need to understand what he's saying here. It's clearly a "why the heck does everyone make such a big deal out of this in this day and age" comment.

Posted by: breckroy | May 25, 2011 1:46:29 PM

12. I too think Arnie Hammer was making a basically gay-positive point, in spite of his getting in his hetero bonofides. But I think Jim Carey's response (along the lines of Tampazeke suggested) to a press question about whether he had any qualms about kissing Ewan McGregor in "I Love You Phillip Morris" was better. He said something like, "Are you crazy? Just look at the guy -- he's gorgeous!"
    PS I remember someone asking Dolly Parton who was the best kisser she every worked with, and her enthusiastic response was "Lilly Tomlin!".

Posted by: MichaelJ | May 25, 2011 3:19:10 PM

13. Uh... except that if you asked an actor what he thought about shooting up a scene with a machine gun, he'd probably say it was a blast!

He's trying, I think, to diminish the hype/double standard, but he's actually contributing to it...

Posted by: BobN | May 25, 2011 3:56:05 PM

14. Whatever happened to method acting?

Posted by: Go Galt. Please. | May 25, 2011 5:12:41 PM

15. Hetero sexual actors get these questions ALL THE TIME - "Did your wife/husband mind all of the steamy loves scenes?" Uh, no... she/he doesn't accuse me of murder when I shoot somebody in a scene, either...
    GAWD - some of the comments posted here remind me of PETA getting mad at President Obama for killing a fly in an interview....

Posted by: MistyQ | May 25, 2011 11:49:24 PM

16. well galt, hopefully it disappeared.

Posted by: Sean | May 26, 2011 12:21:50 PM

17. Funny how some of you want Armie to say "It was nothing... next question!"

Be real! He's still a straight guy, so his words will not always be as eloquent as a gay-rights advocate and he won't approach kissing a man as some 'treat' that should be defended. He's straight and he's trying the best he can to explain that kissing another man was just a job, not his preferred hobby.

Posted by: Drew | May 29, 2011 6:18:00 PM

18. At least it was Leo he got to kiss!
    I wonder why they didn't ask Leo? Because he would have been all good with it and we all know he's str8.
    Just the media trying to be ignorant about the subject by putting him on the spot hoping he would say something to hurt his career. He didn't fall victim to their games and, quite frankly, it's my opinion he handled it honestly.....no prob with that.

Posted by: Pride of 69 | Jul 26, 2011 6:10:06 AM