Armie Hammer Discusses ‘Weird Hype’ About Kissing a Guy

Hammer_dicaprio

Actor Armie Hammer talked to ET Canada about kissing Leonardo DiCaprio for the upcoming J Edgar biopic:

"It’s the same kind of thing as if you walk onto a set and they hand you a machine gun and [say], 'Shoot this like you know what you’re doing' — you can’t grab that thing and go, 'uh…' — you kind of have to go, 'Okay, I know what I’m doing,' and you’ve just got to go for it. It wasn’t that weird — I have never kissed a guy — it’s not something I’m going to do in my private life, but at the end of it I was, like, man, there is a lot of weird hype."

Comments

1. Francis says

He’s basically saying, it’s just a kiss, so why do people get up in arms about it, or make a big deal of it. It’s not a negative statement against same-sex kissing.

2. TampaZeke says

Yet he falls for the hype hook, line and sinker by feeling the need to brandish his heterosexual bonafides in response to the silly question.

I wish these guys would just learn to say, “It was HOT; he’s a good kisser…next question” or “It was as boring and unsensational as any screen kiss I’ve done with any other actor or actress…next question.”

3. says

yeah this doesn’t really require a lot of discussion. Next time Hammer kisses a woman in a film I want to see the same questions asked, and the reaction. Kissing a guy in a film is non-starter, shame on this reporter for thinking it is.

4. breckroy says

I think he was making a positive point. And I didn’t find his statement about not having kissed a man before (or expecting to in his private life) to be the old-school, “but I’m not gay, yo!” stuff of the past. It was part of a larger point. Someone who had no experience or interest in doing something has to do it for work and suddenly it’s all he’s asked about in the press for months on end. When he finally goes to do it, it’s essentially no big deal. His gay-friendly comments about the film and the kiss to the press are the context we need to understand what he’s saying here. It’s clearly a “why the heck does everyone make such a big deal out of this in this day and age” comment.

5. MichaelJ says

I too think Arnie Hammer was making a basically gay-positive point, in spite of his getting in his hetero bonofides. But I think Jim Carey’s response (along the lines of Tampazeke suggested) to a press question about whether he had any qualms about kissing Ewan McGregor in “I Love You Phillip Morris” was better. He said something like, “Are you crazy? Just look at the guy — he’s gorgeous!”
    PS I remember someone asking Dolly Parton who was the best kisser she every worked with, and her enthusiastic response was “Lilly Tomlin!”.

6. BobN says

Uh… except that if you asked an actor what he thought about shooting up a scene with a machine gun, he’d probably say it was a blast!

He’s trying, I think, to diminish the hype/double standard, but he’s actually contributing to it…

7. MistyQ says

Hetero sexual actors get these questions ALL THE TIME – “Did your wife/husband mind all of the steamy loves scenes?” Uh, no… she/he doesn’t accuse me of murder when I shoot somebody in a scene, either…
    GAWD – some of the comments posted here remind me of PETA getting mad at President Obama for killing a fly in an interview….

8. Drew says

Funny how some of you want Armie to say “It was nothing… next question!”

Be real! He’s still a straight guy, so his words will not always be as eloquent as a gay-rights advocate and he won’t approach kissing a man as some ‘treat’ that should be defended. He’s straight and he’s trying the best he can to explain that kissing another man was just a job, not his preferred hobby.

9. Pride of 69 says

At least it was Leo he got to kiss!
    I wonder why they didn’t ask Leo? Because he would have been all good with it and we all know he’s str8.
    Just the media trying to be ignorant about the subject by putting him on the spot hoping he would say something to hurt his career. He didn’t fall victim to their games and, quite frankly, it’s my opinion he handled it honestly…..no prob with that.