High School Sophomore Challenges Michele Bachmann to Debate on the Constitution

Amy Myers, a high school sophomore from Cherry Valley, New Jersey, has challenged Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann to a debate on the U.S. Constitution, Minneapolis' City Pages reports.

Writes Myers in a letter to the congresswoman:

Bachmann Though I am not in your home district, or even your home state, you are a United States Representative of some prominence who is subject to national media coverage. News outlets and websites across this country profile your causes and viewpoints on a regular basis. As one of a handful of women in Congress, you hold a distinct privilege and responsibility to better represent your gender nationally. The statements you make help to serve an injustice to not only the position of Congresswoman, but women everywhere. Though politically expedient, incorrect comments cast a shadow on your person and by unfortunate proxy, both your supporters and detractors alike often generalize this shadow to women as a whole.

Rep. Bachmann, the frequent inability you have shown to accurately and factually present even the most basic information about the United States led me to submit the follow challenge, pitting my public education against your advanced legal education:

I, Amy Myers, do hereby challenge Representative Michele Bachmann to a Public Forum Debate and/or Fact Test on The Constitution of the United States, United States History and United States Civics.

An acceptance is not expected, as City Pages notes: "Bachmann is famously reluctant to put herself in positions where she might have to talk to someone who disagrees with her."

Comments

1. says

Rep. Bachmann hasn’t had a chance to reply as her brain froze up immediately at the term “unfortunate proxy.” Once the blinding light and loud humming noises retreat, I am SURE she’ll get back to Amy.

2. nodnarb says

This is awesome!

But one really should be extra careful about making typos when challenging someone’s ability to accurately and factually present information.

3. mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com says

diaried at Dkos with shout out to Towleroad

Hopefully this goes viral/ gets a lot of press to either force the issue or embarrass bachman

4. woodroad34 says

Ooooo, snap from a young lady to an old bat. Whatever happened to the Mary Tyler Moore Minneapolis? When did it turn into Texas or Mississippi?

5. NaughtyLola says

@NODNARB, that’s syntactical weirdness, not a typo. I’d probably have used the perfect tense rather than past, but that still doesn’t make it a typo.

6. nodnarb says

I fear (entirely through fault of my own!) that we’ve gotten away from the main point of all this… which is that this letter is awesome, and I suspect this young woman would wipe the floor with Michele Bachmann. Also, I’d pay money to watch if they make it a PPV event.

7. tominsf says

Bravo, and if this ever happens, I expect she’ll wipe the floor with the idiot Bachmann.

I generally agree that it’s stupid to nitpick about split infinitives, but splitting them so egregiously (as in ‘to accurately and factually present’) is red meat to some of us grammar-compulsive types.

8. Zlick says

Perhaps the typo is to put Bachmann off the scent just a little bit. Heheh.

But, yeah, it *is* an error in grammar. I like it. Means she’s not perfect. Could be *possible* to take such an uneducated kid down in the areas of American History, Civics and the U.S. Constitution, right? C’mon Michele, accept the challenge! The kid can’t even spell!

9. X says

Gov. Christie will never let the debate happen. If Amy’s NJ public school education allows her to defeat a sitting congresswoman, Christie might have to admit the “political thugs” at the NJEA might be capable of educating children. He’ll never let that happen.

10. Bart says

I hear Bachmann will accept the offer IF Amy agrees to do the debate in Bachmann’s living room or a space ship, which ever is best at keeping the secret radio waves from interferring with Bachmann’s interpretation of the Constitution that she knows the liberals are using to confuse her, IF Amy will let Fox News edit any broadcast, IF Amy brings a verifiable long-form United States birth certificate, IF Amy can prove she’s never had an abortion, IF Amy can prove she’s not a homosexual or any other type of intelligent person, IF Amy can prove she’s not on welfare, unemployment or any other government handout, or has Amy has an IQ above 50 and can actually read. And of course, Amy pays for Ms. Bachmann’s personal make-up artist, dresser, and there are plenty of gummie bears and ding dongs in Ms. Bachmann’s dressing room. Oh and if that cute Alex Trebeck can ask the questions.

Ms. Bachmann is awaiting Amy’s response.

11. says

Whoever wrote this for the young girl? “Though politically expedient, incorrect comments cast a shadow on your person, and by unfortunate proxy, ” No high school girl would ever say “your person” instead of “you” or use a phrase like “unfortunate proxy”… It’s like the 16 year old boy suing the US for global warming. If you dig only three websites deep, you find the social justice organization behind him. Someone has put her up to this.

12. Thomas says

Ted, I definitely could have wrote that as a 16 year old gay kid who enjoyed throwing ten dollar words around to prove my intelligence. Now, a little over a decade later, I mainly resort to sarcasm and bitchery, but I still think she is probably the actual writer.

13. walter says

if bachmann won’t accept the constitution debate maybe she will join the geography quiz. i figure she will do as well there. remember lexington and concord are in new hampshire. let bachmann’s ignorance shine through.

14. lparis says

Go Girl – actually, this proposed “right of passage” should be made a mandatory exercise for every official elected to a US government position…

15. PDX Guy says

Target had better throw some more money at Bachmann so she can hire a private tutor, or at least buy some wireless equipment so the answers can be fed to her.

16. Roy L Yates says

I consider myself quite literate and I must admit that I missed the error when I first read the sentence. I think the writer probably accidentally did the same thing.

17. NoCaDrummer says

“Bachmann is famously reluctant to put herself in positions where she might have to talk to someone who disagrees with her.”

… or is smarter than her.

No wonder we seldom see her other than on Fox.

18. jamal49 says

Possible typo:

“….the position of Congresswoman…” might be better written as “…the position of Congresswomen…”.

Definite typo:

“…led me to submit the follow challenge…” should be “…led me to submit the following challenge…”.

As a proofreader, I would have sent this back for revisions.