Movies: Cannes Brings Out the Legends

Cannes-faye I'm a Bonnie & Clyde man, generally speaking, but Network is her best work. As for modern day Faye, she's promoting a "lost" 1970 film Puzzle of a Downfall Child at the festival and it's also making its way around to specialty theaters.

Cannes has only just begun but so far the new Woody Allen Midnight in Paris is said to be a return to form. We'll reserve judgment for now; someone always says that at the premiere of the annual Woody and someone else always vehemently disagrees.

The film adaptation of the best seller We Need to Talk About Kevin, is getting less divisive reception: it's straight up raves. The drama is about a troubled mother (the incomparable Tilda Swinton) with a sociopathic teenage killer for a child (Ezra Miller). Reviews for Gus Van Sant's Restless, starring Mia Wasikowska are not as strong across the board but it has devout fans. And, Finding Forrester excepted, Gus Van Sant's movies are always worth checking out. Yes even Psycho (1998). Hey, if you don't take wild risks on occassion, you're going to stagnate as an artist.

Many more major films have yet to emerge including Pedro Almodóvar's The Skin I Live In.  Here's a vivid creepy tease.

In their five mostly excellent previous films together Spain's most celebrated director has put Antonio Banderas into all sorts of compromising positions involving torrid gay affairs (the unmissable Law of Desire), telepathic voyeurism (the disturbing Matador), neurotic farces (the breakthrough hit Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown), nymphomaniacs and terrorists (Labyrinth of Passion), and sexually explicit kidnapping romances (Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!). This new horrific rape thriller about a vengeful plastic surgeon (The Skin I Live In) sounds right up their mutually provocative alley. Pedro gave Penélope Cruz, his current muse, a break this time out for the long-awaited reunion with his only real male muse. Elena Anaya (the comatose beauty in Pedro's Oscar winning Talk to Her) and Marisa Paredes (the stage diva in his other Oscar winner All About My Mother) have the principle female roles this time.

And of course, it isn't Cannes without and endless fashion parade.

Cannes-fashion

Big name celebs, fashion icons. world great actresses, and international beauties are already throwing down guantlets for one another [Uma: "White Versace Bam!"; Rachel McAdams: "No, Marchesa girl"; Lady Gaga: "Whatever. You're looking at me now."]. They'll be doing it for the next two weeks. The fashion blogs are already playing along and kvetching.

Comments

1. The Iron Orchard says

Oh My!! Bonnie And Clyde, Network, China Town!! Faye had it all back then, and let’s not forget Barfly! I loved her eating the raw corn…sigh.

2. james in toronto says

Give me Faye in Chinatown and Network and I’m a happy guy. She was the ’70s for me (and I even liked her in “The Eyes Of Laura Mars”).

3. Joe says

@TIM NC, it’s pretty clear that the “legends” refers to Faye Dunaway. Uma/Jude types were always going to come, but Cannes does bring out movie legends like Dunaway.

And give me her in Network anyday. Though her mommy dearest/supergirl stuff is always entertaining.

4. Rowan says

@ TIM..NC

I know so I ultimately skipped the post! I thought this is really an advertorial isn’t it?

In Thurman’s LONG career the only films of substance she has ever chosen were Dangerous Liasons and Pulp Fiction/Kill Bill.

She’s incredibly lucky Tarantino adores her because he’s the only Director who can make her timeless on screen.

5. Kevin says

If you ever get a chance to see an old episode of the “The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes” (1991 TV Series) entitled: “Shoscombe Old Place”, you’ll see a young Jude Law who must be about 19 years old. (He was born in ’72). It’s a great show, and you can tell by watching that Jude, who played Joe Barnes, will go on to greatness. This was only his fourth foray into acting!

6. Derrick from Philly says

Yes, Dunaway was the movie of the 70s–the Number Two Movie Queen. Fonda is First–she dominated the 70s. Keaton, Redgrave & Glenda Jackson are a close third. And Minelli and Diana Ross had their places. Oh, I could go on. STREISAND!!!!!

7. Jim says

I will always remember Ms. Dunaway’s character stroking the Bishop in the chess game with Steve McQueen in The Thomas Crown Affair. My Gawd!!!! The epitome of seduction.

8. Daniel says

i’m getting the feeling there’s no love for Faye in “smaller” films like Arizona Dreams or (showing my age) Raspberry Ripple. Handmaid’s Tale. Gia. So good, so often! I thought she had the rights to make a film version of “Master Class”–why’d that never get off the ground once she did it on stage? She was swell in that, too. Too bad that her memoir legally never could tell really what went down about not getting the role in A.L. Weber’s “sunset boulevard” on stage.