2012 Election | John McCain | News | Osama bin Laden | Rachel Maddow | Rick Santorum

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Rick Santorum Says McCain Doesn't Understand Torture

Santorum

Rachel Maddow discusses Rick "frothy mix" Santorum's position on the completely debunked claim that torture led to Osama bin Laden's killing, and his insistence that tortured Vietnam vet John McCain's position against enhanced interrogation techniques is because he doesn't understand how they work.

“Everything I’ve read shows that we would not have gotten this information as to who this man was if it had not been gotten information from people who were subject to enhanced interrogation,” Santorum said, referring to the courier that led Americans to Osama bin Laden. “And so this idea that we didn’t ask that question while Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was being waterboarded, he doesn’t understand how enhanced interrogation works. I mean, you break somebody, and after they’re broken, they become cooperative.”

Watch Maddow take him apart, AFTER THE JUMP...

Oh, and here's Santorum's new bumper sticker.

Frothymix

Comments

1. Since when does a Roman Catholic and a Christian support torturing human beings?

Where does Christ teach that we should inflict this inhumanity on anyone???

Mr. Frothy Mix needs to go back to his Bible and reconcile his outrageous despicable statements with his Catholicism and Christianity, to say nothing of God.

Posted by: dc20008 | May 18, 2011 9:28:30 AM

2. If I had been pro-torture I would have wavered after seeing this idiot talk about it.

Posted by: Russell | May 18, 2011 9:29:10 AM

3. Ed shultz later in the night had responses from Mccain's people

The first one when asked about Santorum's statements said "Who?"

The second mccain worker said that santorum was the stupidist person he had ever met in the halls of congress and had forgotten that fact but is now reminded by santorum on how stupid santorum is

:-P

Posted by: mstrozfckslv | May 18, 2011 9:35:40 AM

4. I can't help but enjoy the fact that so many republican candidates are digging their own graves with ridiculous commentary.

Posted by: Greggie | May 18, 2011 9:38:36 AM

5. scrubbing santorum out of my sheets is torture!

Posted by: EO | May 18, 2011 10:05:52 AM

6. Is it possible he's dumber than George W.? Lord help us.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | May 18, 2011 10:07:22 AM

7. "Everything I've read..." Okay, Rick, you need to stop there. It's simple. Read facts not frothy right wing, regressive, tea party (read:ignorant) opinion.

I am having a hard time believing a guy with a misshaped head and eyes so close together can actually read anyway. Rick looks like that kid that played the banjo in "Deliverence" all grown up.

Posted by: Bart | May 18, 2011 10:41:33 AM

8. Remember to visit Rick every day on goggle have to
    Keep frothy mix #1

Posted by: Walter | May 18, 2011 10:46:15 AM

9. "Remember to visit Rick every day on goggle have to Keep frothy mix #1"

Yeh, that's not how a google bomb works.

Posted by: nodnarb | May 18, 2011 11:03:20 AM

10. anyone else notice the brilliant graphic with "Rick Santorum" in a google search? ...HA. that was no accident.

Posted by: m.safra | May 18, 2011 11:55:19 AM

11. safra - indeed. rachel did a great job baiting her viewers to look up the frothy mix!

Posted by: bryce | May 18, 2011 12:13:09 PM

12. @Greggie. I totally agree. It is so much fun to see all these haters reveal their stupidity when they have to go beyond the "gay is bad" mantra. Hopefully even only one undecided person who CAN think will here this soundbite and go "Wait, What?!?!" Eventually they will all have go back to their teaparty because no one will listen to them.

Posted by: Rob | May 18, 2011 12:24:21 PM

13. If there is one thing at all that McCain understands, it's "enhanced interrogation".

Posted by: DerekWashington | May 18, 2011 1:19:21 PM

14. @ DC20008: "Since when does a Roman Catholic and a Christian support torturing human beings?" ?

Was that meant to provoke raucous laughter? A little history, my friend. That's all I'm saying.

Posted by: Harold Venable | May 18, 2011 10:20:19 PM

15. I'm finally feeling sympathetic towards John McCain, and it took Rick Santorum to do it.
    I think I need to lay down with a wet towel over my face. I've got a sick headache.

Posted by: Go Galt. Please. | May 19, 2011 7:48:24 AM