Comic Books | Film | News | Steven Spielberg | Tintin

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Teaser Trailer for Steven Spielberg's 'Tintin'

Tintin1

The trailer for Steven Spielberg's Tintin has arrived.

Said Spielberg to Empire last November of the CGI motion capture adaptation of the comic created by Belgian artist Hergé: "The first part of the film, which is the most mysterious part, certainly owes much to not only film noir but the whole German Brechtian theatre — some of our night scenes and our action scenes are very contrasty. But at the same time the movie is a hell of an adventure."

Watch the first teaser, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
Tintin outed by British Columnist [tr]

Tintin2

Comments

1. I thought Hollywood had already learned that people don't like the CGI technology.

Posted by: brent | May 17, 2011 9:10:05 AM

2. If they're going to use CGI they could at least make it a bit more stylized, otherwise what's the point?

Posted by: Matthew | May 17, 2011 9:36:04 AM

3. This looks like a Robert Zemeckis film. Super 8 looks like a Spielberg film.

Posted by: Wes | May 17, 2011 9:36:42 AM

4. I don't know. A big risk.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 17, 2011 9:52:56 AM

5. What Brent and Matthew said.

A movie that has Jamie Bell but you can't see Jamie Bell. No thanks.

Posted by: Henry Holland | May 17, 2011 10:14:06 AM

6. Well, in all fairness, TinTin is best known as in the forms of illustration and animation, so I think live-actioning is also risky in that it often eliminates the "look" that is endemic to the piece. I think it's just a case of rotten timing, since almost all motion capture CG films have looked horrible and people have largely rejected these efforts accordingly.

Posted by: Zlick | May 17, 2011 10:19:54 AM

7. This is the first Spielberg movie I can remember having zero interest in. And considering his last effort, he's clearly on a losing streak.

Posted by: nodnarb | May 17, 2011 10:27:36 AM

8. I am convinced that we respond to animation in very particular ways and this sort of approach to the animation is alienating and off-putting. The animation in "UP" was warm-hearted and full-bodied and it seemed authentic even when we know it is entirely artificial But the animation here seems very fake and cold.

Posted by: brenda | May 17, 2011 10:30:35 AM

9. Interesting point, Brenda. The closer they try to emulate reality in CGI, the more distant it feels. You're right that UP embraced a very non-realistic aesthetic in terms of character portrayals, yet felt warm and relatable. Get too close to reality without actually reaching it and it feels off and creepy. If anything maybe the should have gone more cartoonish.

Posted by: Wes | May 17, 2011 10:42:45 AM

10. Yep, despite what I said in my earlier post - the stuff in this trailer looks just as bloody awful and off-putting as every other one of these misguided efforts. Too bad. I liked the source material as a kid, and ordinarily I'd be thrilled to have Steven Spielberg have a go at it. Bah.

Posted by: Zlick | May 17, 2011 10:49:40 AM

11. The trailer looks fabulous. Don't understand why so many of you are complaining. It IS animation for goodness sakes and very well done. I love the Tin Tin series, read them as a kid, listen to the as audio in the iPhone and iPad. I look forward to the movie. Snowy walks and acts like a real dog in the trailer and the over look and feel is fabulous.

Posted by: OS2Guy | May 17, 2011 10:51:19 AM

12. @Brenda and Wes - This is called the "Uncanny Valley" in robotics. Is the point where animation or androids begin to look almost but not quite human, which causes a negative reaction in most humans.

Posted by: Syrax | May 17, 2011 10:59:37 AM

13. This really bums me out, I'm a HUGE Tintin fan and have been reading the comics since I was eight or nine. The illustrations themselves are part of the experience, so I cannot for the life of me understand why they would not simply re-create Herge's drawings as animation? Pixar would have done a much better job (someone above referenced the animation in "Up" which is perfect for Tintin), I'm so disappointed. I'm also disappointed that this is going to be most people's only exposure to Tintin, and it looks *horrible* (and also conflates three entirely separate comics, purist comic-book geek that I am.)

Posted by: NaughtyLola | May 17, 2011 11:05:54 AM

14. I like how they learned their lesson from "Polar Express" and only show the characters' completely and utterly dead eyes twice in the entire trailer. And yet it's still revolting each time. I can't imagine watching an entire movie with these CG zombies.

I, too, don't get what's wrong with making an animated film actually enjoyable to look at -- otherwise why make an animated film?

Posted by: justme | May 17, 2011 11:29:39 AM

15. Uncanny Valley! Uncanny valley!

Posted by: Tony | May 17, 2011 1:21:03 PM

16. Is it just me or does Tintin look alarmingly like a young Tilda Swinton?

Posted by: Speck | May 17, 2011 1:28:38 PM

17. Interesting how most people mention the eyes. In any kind of animation, if the eyes seem "dead," the whole thing fails. The characters are not accepted as "real," and no one grows to "care" about them. Ironically, with something like the Muppets, they literally have dead dolls' eyes - and yet most people completely accept them as real and care about the characters very much. Just an oddity that amuses me.

Posted by: Zlick | May 17, 2011 1:28:44 PM

18. @Speck: Tilda or maybe La Roux.

Posted by: RC | May 17, 2011 2:15:24 PM

19. Tin Tin looks like a 'male lesbian', ftm, whatever term you prefer.

Posted by: Paul | May 17, 2011 4:34:00 PM

20. There is no squash and stretch, the bounce that gives animation its joy and purpose. They are maquettes that do not make the transition to life - they just look like the models the thing is supposed to be based on. And if you are not going to make the animated character do something the live person cannot, why bother? Live action would be better. Started reading Herge' almost fifty years ago - always thought it to be an odd character assembly - but i enjoyed it. I will see the flick, but this is probably the end of motion control and recorded animation. It just lacks verve.

Posted by: ted | May 17, 2011 6:01:56 PM

21. where they get the eyes wrong is in the eyebrows and lids, no wrinkles, just flat expanse...

Posted by: ted | May 17, 2011 6:03:38 PM

22. Just creepy.

Posted by: Randy | May 18, 2011 4:55:25 AM

23. I’ve grown up watching Spielberg’s films: a horrified child watching Jaws, excited to watch E.T., amazed at Jurassic Park, spellbound by the ugliness of humanity in Schindler’s List, and so much more. If there’s anyone that I would want to take on the task of Tin Tin on the silver screen it is no doubt, Spielberg. As an avid movie lover and employee of DISH Network I have a lot of respect for someone with a lifetime’s work that looks like this. http://beta.dishonline.com/shows/83319/videos/762647

Posted by: Nicole | May 19, 2011 2:21:43 PM

24. Interesting. Well I for one am glad that they are not sticking too close to the original. Lest we forget how blatantly racist the original TinTin was.

Posted by: gayermo | May 23, 2011 2:21:48 PM