Arnold Schwarzenegger | News

Schwarzenegger and Shriver Separated After Learning He Had Child with Household Staffer More Than Decade Ago

Schwarzenegger

The reason behind Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver's separation has been revealed by the L.A. Times. Shriver left after learning he had a child with a longtime member of their household staff more than 10 years ago:

"After leaving the governor's office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago," Schwarzenegger said Monday night in a statement issued to The Times in response to questions. "I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry.

"I ask that the media respect my wife and children through this extremely difficult time," the statement concluded. "While I deserve your attention and criticism, my family does not. "

A spokesman for the former first lady said she had no comment.

The staffer worked for the family for more than 20 years, retiring early this year.

While in office as California governor, Schwarzenegger vetoed marriage equality bills twice — once in 2005 and again in 2007 — while he disrespected his own marriage.

Watch the AP report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I haven't had anyone on my staff for that long.

Posted by: Philo | May 17, 2011 7:10:29 AM

2. Uh - he's a republican politician. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

Posted by: yunin | May 17, 2011 7:20:37 AM

3. Wow, so she didn't leave him because he was a Nazi creep? Loser wife.

Posted by: Rowan | May 17, 2011 7:23:08 AM

4. I expect nothing less - especially from GOP politicians.

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | May 17, 2011 7:56:45 AM

5. How humiliating and creepy for Maria, that his mistress kept working there for ten years.

Posted by: brent | May 17, 2011 7:57:54 AM

6. Well, he said he believed in the family.

Rhymes with "Terminator."

Posted by: Morning Tundra | May 17, 2011 8:27:04 AM

7. just another reason why there should be a "fidelity in marriage" act, whereby any republican politician would be turned out of office upon learning of marital infidelity.It wouldn't have worked in Ahrnold's case.

Posted by: vonlmo | May 17, 2011 8:35:45 AM

8. I wonder when she "retired" what kind of package she got?
    & Who paid for it?

Posted by: Deen | May 17, 2011 8:38:46 AM

9. Let this be a lesson for everyone: See what happens when you marry outside your political party!

Posted by: I knew he wasn't gay | May 17, 2011 8:57:44 AM

10. Do Republicans have to do this to run in their primaries? So they can say that Jesus forgave them and so should you?

I wonder if the Pope will comment. I'm sure AS was a big Sunday donor to the church of Maria's choice.

Posted by: I knew he wasn't gay | May 17, 2011 9:01:15 AM

11. Remember boys and girls that this was the man who VETOED marriage equality legislation. Had he not done that it's quite possible that California would still have marriage equality today.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 17, 2011 10:14:24 AM

12. This is someone with a DECADES-long history of sexually assaulting women. Everyone has always known what this creep is. How could Maria not know? Are all the Kennedy women hard-wired to be victims?

For that matter, why do Californians keep electing washed-up Republican actors to government positions when that has NEVER worked out well for anyone?

Posted by: ohplease | May 17, 2011 10:29:24 AM

13. What a jerk. With his 'family values' and all. Self-serving, too. Waiting until after he leaves office to tell anyone. Creep. I hope his wife and kids drop out of his life for good.

Posted by: rb | May 17, 2011 1:21:09 PM

14. the list or repuks who want marriage protection and then turn around and cheat have mistresses cruise mens rooms leave sick and dying wives just keeps getting longer. the theme song of the repuks should be stand by your man< no matter what. how these asshats can sit there and claim to defend marriage when they spend more effort on cheating. can you say hypocritical.

Posted by: walter | May 17, 2011 2:29:11 PM

15. So, he fathered this kid a decade ago and it has just now gone public? Can't believe this wasn't dug up by his opponents during his election for governor!

Posted by: Sarah | May 17, 2011 2:43:03 PM

16. Another "family values" Republican reveals his underlying hypocrisy!

Posted by: Jason | May 17, 2011 3:56:01 PM

17. This is what you get with mandatory marriage: insincere promises of lifelong monogamy which inevitably result in one dishonesty compounding another until nothing resembling integrity remains.

Woo hoo. Family values.

Posted by: Bryan | May 17, 2011 7:01:12 PM

18. So.

1) He fought equal marriage, while ruining his own.

and

2) I want to know who got paid what, to keep this secret. You just know someone got rich off this.

Posted by: Randy | May 18, 2011 8:10:21 AM

19. This is really a very interesting article

Posted by: Wholesale MLB jerseys | Sep 20, 2011 10:17:41 PM

20. I would to learn more about you

Posted by: Wholesale baseball jerseys | Oct 21, 2011 9:42:41 PM

21. I haven't had anyone on my staff for that long.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2011/05/wchwarz.html#ixzz2HMoc1ns9