Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | Jay Carney | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

WH Doesn't Anticipate Obama Will 'Evolve' on Same-Sex Marriage by This Week's Gay NY Fundraiser: VIDEO

Carney

President Obama is holding two fundraisers for gay donors this week in New York. Today, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney was asked by the Washington Blade's Chris Johnson about Obama's 1996 support of same-sex marriage and his current position, which favors civil unions.

Johnson asked Carney whether Obama might be "selling his audience short by saying he supports them and wants his money for his reelection campaign but also saying at the same time he does not support their right to marry."

Answered Carney:

"I think you know that this president is very supportive of and strong on LGBT rights. And his record is significant with regard to that. He’s been very clear about his position on gay marriage, he’s been very clear about how that position is evolving. I don’t have any new announcements to make, but I think you know his record, and he’s proud of it."

In a follow-up question, Johnson asked if Obama, who has said in recent months that he is "evolving" on same-sex marriage, might evolve enough this week to come out and support it.

Answered Carney: "I don't anticipate that."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Writes Greg Sargent at The Washington Post:

This is going to irk gay advocates in a big way. Obama first declared that his position on gay marriage is evolving back in October, when he told gay advocates that he is wrestling with the issue, and that “attitudes evolve, including mine.”

Comments

1. If obama says "I support gay marriage" what will happen, or what will change??

Posted by: Alex | Jun 20, 2011 7:37:04 PM

2. That's a good question. I'm not sure what would change.

Posted by: Xtab | Jun 20, 2011 7:41:04 PM

3. I'll take a stab at that. Opponents of freedom and equality would no longer be able to say, "But President Obama has the same position as me." And, that's just for starters.

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 20, 2011 7:44:24 PM

4. It would be lovely timing with Pride and all, but it wouldn't change much unless he signed an executive order providing gay couples (married or in civil unions) with all the federal benefits that accompany hetero marriage.

Backward states will fight to death for their rights and constitutional amendments on this one. The best he can do is instruct the DoJ to stop defending DOMA, then have it go to the Supreme Court. And that's what's happening, unless the Supreme Court decides not to rule on Prop 8. And in that case it would probably still be considered limited to California.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 20, 2011 7:45:05 PM

5. Why would ANY GAY PERSON WANT TO GIVE THIS COWARDLY BIGOT THEIR MONEY?

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 20, 2011 7:47:18 PM

6. Well, I'm glad he's 'struggling' whether to continue discriminating and restrict our rights or no. It's such a cross to bear. Maybe when pigs fly he'll evolve to a sensical position instead of being wishy-washy.

Posted by: Trev | Jun 20, 2011 7:47:46 PM

7. Not surprising, but also not a great gay fundraising stance. I agree he's been better on LGBT issues than any previous president, but it still seems too calculated by half to refuse to support equal marriage before the election, when I hardly think an "evolved" position would cost him a single vote. Meanwhile, it does seem a little hypocritical to put your hand out for money while declaring you still haven't evolved enough to think your potential contributors deserve equal rights.

Good luck selling that to the rich gays, Mr. President.

Posted by: Zlick | Jun 20, 2011 7:51:10 PM

8. The rich gays will support him because -- being rich -- they have all the "freedom" they want.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 20, 2011 7:58:52 PM

9. as frustrated as I am, Obama is still the lesser of two evils. not much anyone can do about that right now, sadly.

Posted by: Trey | Jun 20, 2011 8:08:02 PM

10. Not much we can do? WE CAN STOP KISSING HIS ASS AND THROWING OUR MONEY AT THAT COWARD.

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 20, 2011 8:10:48 PM

11. @ wayne (and similar others)

keep being mad at obama. your little brain will explode when a republican gets into office in 2012 dissolves your wet dreams by 2013. good luck with your hate.

Posted by: my but | Jun 20, 2011 8:30:13 PM

12. What, you mean a Republican WHO HAS THE EXACT SAME BIGOTED POSITION AS OBAMA? OOOOOOOH, I'M SOOOOOO SCARED. A bigot is a bigot, a coward is a coward.

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 20, 2011 8:34:56 PM

13. And from what it appears his own supporters are trying to convince us that Obama can't do anything on marriage equality anyway. So what does it matter if he or some other bigot is president?

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 20, 2011 8:36:43 PM

14. The Republican Boogey Man strategy isn't going to work.

What will happen under a Republican? Will DADT be the law of the land? It is now. Will ENDA not be law? It isn't now. Will DOMA be defended in court? It is now. Will same-sex legally married spouses be deported? They are now. Will the Matthew Shepard Act now be enforced? It isn't now. Will we lose an ally for equality in the White House? We don't have one now.

I know those with no other argument -- because there is no other argument for supporting Obama -- will continue to flog away at oh how scary a Republican President would be, but nothing would change for us. Nothing.

I only vote for candidates who think I'm exactly as much of a human being as they are. If that means I write someone in, so be it. I'm not supporting my own oppression for any reason.

Posted by: ohplease | Jun 20, 2011 8:43:45 PM

15. Are you serious? what matters is that your bigoted republican president will reverse DADT, enforce DOMA, make a constitutional amendment on marriage being one man and one woman, etc. do some research

Posted by: my but | Jun 20, 2011 8:47:28 PM

16. Neil Patrick Harris should be ashamed of himself for throwing a fundraiser for a man who doesn't even believe that gay people deserve equality! Gay pride? Harris must not know the meaning of the word.

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 20, 2011 8:50:47 PM

17. Hey Dumb But, DADT IS STILL THE LAW OF THE LAND RIGHT NOW, AND DOMA IS STILL BEING ENFORCED RIGHT NOW UNDER OBAMA, AND OBAMA'S OWN VIEW IS THAT MARRIAGE IS BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN! OBAMA'S POSITIONS ARE THE EXACT SAME NOW AS WHAT YOU ARE SAYING WE SHOULD BE AFRAID WILL HAPPEN IF A REPUBLICAN COMES INTO OFFICE!

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 20, 2011 8:55:08 PM

18. Well, spineless as ever. My checkbook isn't going to evolve into a donation until his position evolves first.

Posted by: evan | Jun 20, 2011 9:54:37 PM

19. Looks like the fate of the Republic doesn't rest with how Barack Obama is confronting Republicans on LGBT equality, but with how Andrew Cuomo is confronting Republicans on LGBT equality. I don't think New Yorkers knew that they were electing the leader of the American nation when they elected their governor, but I guess they were. Life is funny like that.

Posted by: Phil | Jun 20, 2011 9:55:17 PM

20. At this moment I really don't see a reason to vote for Obama, but the election is a bit away. I would really like to see a more progressive democrat challenge him in a primary, I would work for and support that person with donations. But if people can dream that Obama is going to do anything for anyone who isn't on the board of a corporation, heading up a bank, or speculating on Wall Street, then I can dream that a better candidate will come along.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Jun 20, 2011 10:37:07 PM

21. "I don't anticipate that."

Means:

"You fools will give Obama money anyway. We own you."

Posted by: Randy | Jun 20, 2011 11:02:30 PM

22. @OHPLEASE. I second your statements, and couldn't agree more. Laws are only as good as they're used and enforced, and nothing that's been enacted to date has benefited us in the least. Nice and symbolic, but nothing really substantive.

Posted by: Keith | Jun 20, 2011 11:40:04 PM

23. I really just want Obama to win to keep absolute loons like Alioto and Thomas from getting a majority on the Supreme Court. At least in that, Obama has been good, and a reasonably sane third branch of government counts for a lot.

As for economic and foreign policy, the differences have been marginal at best. Both parties are OK with the military all over the globe, and both defer to Wall Street.

Posted by: tranquilo | Jun 20, 2011 11:58:17 PM

24. I guess NOM's got no problem with this marriage; it is, after all man marrying woman. Well... at least male marrying female...

"'Lost' actor Doug Hutchison, 51, marries 16-year-old in Vegas"

LAS VEGAS -- Actor Doug Hutchison, 51, revealed Monday he has married 16-year-old Courtney Alexis Stodden, an aspiring country singer, according to E! News.

The couple insisted that despite the 35-year age gap, there is nothing strange about their relationship.

"We're aware that our vast age difference is extremely controversial," they said in a statement.

"But we're very much in love and want to get the message out there that true love can be ageless," the statement added.

The pair tied the knot in late May at a ceremony in Las Vegas.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/lost_actor_doug_hutchison_marries_VGzkLjG2HuR4XHfF6P3VzK#ixzz1PscKVE9a

Posted by: Eric Payne | Jun 21, 2011 12:06:42 AM

25. Obama's current position on marriage is wrong. How and when he is evolving is unclear. We need to keep pressuring him. He will be the most pro-gay candidate for President by far in 2012. These are the facts.

Saying his positions are the same as any of the Republicans currently running for President is absurdly misinformed and asinine. If you honestly think that, you have head your head up your ass since the 2010 election. Criticize Obama, he deserves his share, but stop pretending Republicans are no worse than Democrats because it's a preposterous lie. A Republican in the White House in 2012 would be a disaster for gay civil rights.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 21, 2011 12:11:42 AM