Colorado Springs | Gay Pride | News

BigGayDeal.com

Colorado Springs Mayor Says 'No' to Gay Pride Proclamation

The Colorado Springs City Council may issue a Gay Pride proclamation after the city's mayor Steve Bach refused last week.

Bach The Gazette reports:

"Before he was elected, Bach made it clear he wouldn’t issue such a proclamation. But the Colorado Springs Pride Center asked anyway. On June 23, Bach rejected the request. 'My priorities are to transform our city government so that it works for everyone again and lead the charge to facilitate job creation for our citizens,' the mayor wrote in a letter to Charles Irwin, the center’s executive director. 'Therefore, I will not be signing proclamations such as you requested,' he wrote."

Said Council President Scott Hente: “I want to encourage diversity. I want to encourage a feeling of welcomeness for everybody within Colorado Springs.”

A petition has been started to try to persuade Bach to issue a proclamation.

Comments

1. Colorado Springs.....Welcoming????

Similar to an auto-de-fé during the Spanish Inquisition.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jun 30, 2011 10:55:20 AM

2. Guess I won't be stopping in Colorado Springs on vacation this year... again.

Posted by: kansastock | Jun 30, 2011 10:59:42 AM

3. Has he signed other similar proclamations for other groups? I wouldn't mind his reasoning as long as it was consistently applied. But I bet it's not being consistently applied.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 30, 2011 11:09:40 AM

4. Well, his explanation makes sense if he is not issuing any proclamations at all. Perfectly understandable, dont get your panties in a bunch ladies, nobody is getting a worthless certificate.

If not and it is only being applied to this request, then it is basically word vomit and he is a pig.

Posted by: Lisa G | Jun 30, 2011 11:15:58 AM

5. @KANSASTOCK, Go to Manitou Springs instead and then swing by Garden of the Gods without staying in the Springs. Cute lesbians there.

Posted by: msh | Jun 30, 2011 11:25:57 AM

6. Let the toe tapping begin! I am sure he is well acquainted with the Larry Craig types!!

Posted by: alexInBoston | Jun 30, 2011 11:29:51 AM

7. Colorado Springs is a hateful little collection of churches and liquor stores. On the positive side, they don't just hate gays: they hate everybody who isn't exactly like them. A hetero friend of mine is married to an Asian woman, and he moved there because he thought it'd be a good place to raise a family. Moved back eight months later because nobody would speak to him or his wife.

Posted by: RomanHans | Jun 30, 2011 11:52:41 AM

8. Colorado Spring is home to Focus on the Family - which even has its own freeway exit sign on I-25. This doesn't surprise me.

Stay away from Colorado Springs if you're GLBT.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 30, 2011 12:47:00 PM

9. I wouldn't waste my time,nor tourism dollars in that state...its on my list of NEVER go too's..

Posted by: Gay American | Jun 30, 2011 1:08:56 PM

10. "I want to make this city work for everyone except gays." Isn't Colorado Springs also the hometown of an SPLC hate group? One wonders if he's also in their pocket.

Posted by: JT | Jun 30, 2011 1:36:40 PM

11. I feel sorry for their GLBT kids though.

Posted by: terryp | Jun 30, 2011 4:50:56 PM

12. It's refreshing that a politician refuses to issue nonsense proclamations. The US Congressional Record is an embarassment of worthless statements.
    But it's sad when the reason behind it is simply 'we hate everyone'.

Posted by: bob | Jun 30, 2011 5:25:32 PM

13. "Stay away from Colorado Springs if you're GLBT."

Nobody's GLBT. There is no such thing.

Posted by: Suze | Jun 30, 2011 7:44:49 PM

14. I am not pleased that the mayor refused to sign this proclamation. I have requested and received proclamations from the previous mayor for relatively trivial items - but Gay Pride is not trivial. If all proclamations will be rejected, it still sends a bad message when the first rejection was for this organization. There is too much anti-GLBT sentiment in this city, but there are many people who are welcoming and fair minded. There's a great organization for youth called Inside Out. Don't give up on us completely - many here are fighting for justice.

Posted by: Amy | Jul 1, 2011 12:53:38 AM

15. I worked in Colorado Springs for 2 years and loved it there, it's absolutely beautiful. You have to remember in El Paso county, where the Springs is located, there is Fort Carson, Cheyenne Mountain AFS, The Air Force Academy, Peterson AFB and Schriever AFB. That's alot of military in a single town, ergo it's not going be a bastion of liberalism. There's a reason Focus on the Family is headquartered there, unfortunately. It's not like Boulder. That doesn't excuse the mayor not signing, I'm just trying to give some perspective to the area.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 1, 2011 1:10:11 AM

16. It's flat-out bigotry. It's not all proclamations he's withholding, it's this specific one. From an interview with Colorado Springs' Channel 5 news:

News First 5 asked the mayor if he's against all proclamations or just this particular one.

"It's the specific event, and I made that clear during the campaign," Mayor Bach said. "I want to be involved in events that are unifying and that are inclusive-- so that's what I'm going to do."

Posted by: MrRoboto | Jul 1, 2011 1:29:10 AM

17. Forget the petition to make him sign, get out the petitions to recall this bastard.

Posted by: WaM | Jul 1, 2011 8:17:35 PM