Gay Youth | New York | News

Fade In: LGBT Homeless Youth Speak Through New Web Series

2_fadein

Fade In is a new web series from Novo Novus Productions sharing the stories of homeless LGBT youth in New York City.

Write the filmmakers:

"Fade In is a webisodic documentary series featuring inspiring stories from homeless LGBTQ youth.  These 3-5 minute clips are not only designed to bring awareness to the fact that 35-40% of runaway or homeless youth in New York identify as being LGBTQ, but also to provide and promote a positive light forward for teens struggling with their identities due to personal, social, and familial factors.  Each segment will be based around a different virtue (e.g. beauty, acceptance, compassion, faith) and will feature up to three youths discussing an uplifting story that relates to said virtue.  Through smiles and laughter, tears and heartbreak, these touching stories shine a light on the truths of those forced to live in darkness."

Watch the first segment, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's the teaser for the series:

Comments

1. Is there a reason why EVERY homeless youth in the 'teaser' clip is black? There are homeless white, 'Hispanic', even Asian youth, including gay youth, and older adults. Just curious, because details like this are not coincidental., they're carefully planned and scripted.

ATTENTION 'Progressives':

I AM NOT a 'racist'. I said NOTHING 'bad' about black folks, black homeless, etc. I don't 'hate' them, or 'disrespect' them.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 2, 2011 9:18:36 AM

2. @ratbastard

Just a quick note that I saw at least two Latino youth in the teaser, so you're saying that they were all black is incorrect. Secondly, it could be as simple as the location primarily had teens of color as it is primarily in one location. Lastly, when someone is trying to do something to help other people, why is it necessary to point to a conspiracy or an issue behind what's happening. Maybe people aren't like you...maybe some people just want to help and weren't as concerned about race as you seem to be.

Posted by: Guy110475 | Jun 2, 2011 9:58:14 AM

3. Boo yah!

Posted by: JonBenet | Jun 2, 2011 10:09:33 AM

4. @GUY110475,

---I asked [politely] a simple question, that anyone who is paying attention would probably wonder [but of course be afraid to ask].

---People like you p*ss me off. You know NOTHING about my life experiences or background. I was born and raised in NYC and Boston. I have never in my life lived in a small town or even a suburb. I don't need to be lectured about 'diversity' and 'acceptance' by ANYONE.

---The term 'people of color' is retarded. Literally. Bad English. It's 'colored people'. If you don't want to use this term [because you've been brainwashed and erroneously think it's offensive, like negro [Spanish for black], then say 'black' people, or 'African-American'.etc. As for 'Latino', I grew up in 'Latino' neighborhoods and rarely heard anyone describe themselves as 'Latino' and NEVER 'Hispanic'. A P.R. will say they're P.R., a Dominican, Dominican, Salvadoran, Salvadoran, etc. P.C. language is an affectation, and personally annoying and even offensive to me. Try and speak everyday, 'normal' language for a change.

---I NEVER said they didn't deserve compassion because of their 'color' or ethnicity [they appear to be American to me, so I'll just call them American.]

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 2, 2011 12:13:47 PM

5. i don't suppose i need to point out to anyone that irony that ratbastard used the word "retarded" to complain about the term "people of colour."

Posted by: jeremy | Jun 2, 2011 12:24:06 PM

6. @Jeremy,

---I don't suppose I need to point out the irony of you complaining I used the word 'retarded'

retarded:

–verb (used with object)
    to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.
    –verb (used without object)
    to be delayed.
    –noun
    a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.
    Slang: Disparaging .
    a.
    a mentally retarded person.
    b.
    a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way: a hopeless social retard.

OF COURSE Jeremy I'm aware it's 'Un-P.C.' to use the word 'retarded', and I DELIBERATELY used it to see who would comment and how long it would take. Not long.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 2, 2011 1:06:49 PM

7. Rat is on fire today!

What does it say about the people who come to this site when 3 of the 6 comments are Rat complaining that it's all black people! Erm, jeez don't get your knickers in a twist have you seen the other vida yeah? Nope. Dope.

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 2, 2011 5:19:08 PM

8. Rat:

I rarely respond to your usual thinly veiled racism but you have outdone yourself. Perhaps you are not aware of this, but Black and Latino LGBT youth are statistically much more likely to be impoverished, homeless and HIV positive. They are also much more likely to be victims of violent crime and hate crimes. HIV rates among Black and Latino gay/bi men (and trans women) are off the charts compared to their white counterparts.

And if you knew anything about the LGBT communities in NYC, LA, SF or Chicago, you would know that LGBT youth of color are disproportionately homeless, HIV poz and/or involved in survival sex.

Personally, I'm very excited that someone would at least attempt to humanize their condition. The vast majority of LGBT media (and people such as yourself) instantly gravitate toward stories involving young, white gay men.

You're really an unpleasant person, btw.

Posted by: Dalton | Jun 2, 2011 6:10:06 PM

9. I don't need any lecture from you Dalton, about:

Urban America

Poverty

Violence

Hate

Homelessness

HIV rates

And Dalton, you sound like a really unpleasant person.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 2, 2011 11:34:02 PM

10. @Rowan,

I'm not 'complaining' per-se, about the color of the skin or background of the homeless 'youth' in this story. That's silly. I simply questioned why they were all 'minority', or so-called 'minority' [IMO many 'Hispanics' really aren't racially a 'minority', and there is technically no 'majority' ethnicity in America beyond being American]. I understand these media projects always have an agenda, often some of it at least is hidden. And almost always EVERYTHING [location, type of people, etc.,] isn't just casually picked to be included but are very deliberately chosen. I'm a curious person. So I ask questions.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 2, 2011 11:42:23 PM

11. @rb: the world will never stop owing you something does it? gay is a minority, so why bother showing gays and not straights, who are more of the homeless, right ratbastard? blah blah bigot

Posted by: mld | Jun 3, 2011 12:05:36 AM