Gay Marriage | Lady Gaga | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Rep. Dove Hikind Invokes Lady Gaga During NY Assembly Marriage Equality Debate: VIDEO

Hikind

The New York Assembly passed marriage equality yesterday by a vote of 80-63

During a lengthy rant opposing the bill, Assemblyman Dov Hikind sarcastically invoked Lady Gaga, holding up a poster and saying that she almost convinced him.

“When Lady Gaga got involved and told us and said we should support gay marriage, I said, you know, Lady Gaga, she is an example of how I should lead my life and how I should behave.”

Hikind is an Orthodox Jew representing Brooklyn, added that "redefining marriage" is an affront to God: "The Torah’s so clear on this subject....There is no choice for me. And I am open-minded."

Watch Hikind's rant, in two parts (the Gaga moment is in the second), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I see the line in the sand. Do we go with the creative icon who idealized tolerance and acceptance or the religious bigot who idolizes superstiotious literature and bigotry? Decisions, decisions.

Posted by: candideinncc | Jun 16, 2011 11:32:03 AM

2. Open-minded, loves everyone, doesn't hate...you are right Mr. Hikind, Lady Gaga is a wonderful example of how to lead my life and behave. Unlike your hateful spewing.

Posted by: David | Jun 16, 2011 11:33:43 AM

3. Have I mentioned lately that all organized religion is evil?

Posted by: ohplease | Jun 16, 2011 11:33:52 AM

4. "Hikind is an Orthodox Jew representing Brooklyn, added that "redefining marriage" is an affront to God..."

If that were true, then non-religious couples wouldn't be allowed to marry... since that would also be an affront to God. So, yeah, Hikind is basically full of crap.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jun 16, 2011 11:40:29 AM

5. Screw you, Dov! (From one Brooklyn Jew to another)

Posted by: Feral | Jun 16, 2011 11:45:18 AM

6. "There is no choice for me. And I am open-minded."
    Is the fact that he has just created an oxymoron not clear to him? If he has no choice, then he is clearly not open-minded. What a tool!

Posted by: alex Parrish | Jun 16, 2011 11:46:10 AM

7. "Open-minded Orthodox Jew" is an oxymoron. He is a theocrat who has no business being in politics. Should have become a rabbi instead

Posted by: Steve | Jun 16, 2011 11:46:24 AM

8. As a devout Christian (ok, who am I kidding, I follow the Flying Spaghetti Monster), I am appalled that this Christ-denying Jew is allowed to be elected to office. Convert or resign!

Posted by: Paul | Jun 16, 2011 11:48:08 AM

9. The scriptures are also clear that the Jews killed Jesus, and 2000 years and millions and millions of dead jews later, some people still believe it.

Does anybody ever ask "on the record" a bible-believing jewish person whether he favors the death penalty or not for lying iwth mankind as iwth womankind?

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Jun 16, 2011 11:49:17 AM

10. @Alex: Exactly what I was going to say!

Has anyone every met an anti-gay atheist...?

Posted by: Chadd | Jun 16, 2011 11:49:32 AM

11. I'm just a Holy fool
    Oh, baby, Dov's so cruel
    But I'm still in love with Hikind, baby
    I'm just a Holy fool
    Oh, baby, Dov's so cruel
    But I'm still in love with Hikind, baby

Woah woah woah woah woah
    I'm in love with Dov Hikind, Dov Hikind

Posted by: CRISPY | Jun 16, 2011 11:51:57 AM

12. Just another old queen that doesn't like Gaga.

Posted by: Bastian | Jun 16, 2011 11:59:07 AM

13. What the hell does Lady Gaga have to do with this?! You are talking about my life, my partner's life, our legal protections. To reduce this very serious civil rights issue to babbling on about Lady Gaga and talking out of both sides of your mouth: I'm an open minded, compassionate, sensitive, believer in civil rights, blah, blah, blah...oh, but BTW, you can't have the same rights as me! And it's MY right to tell you that you can't have those rights. Enough is enough. This has nothing to do with religion, it has to do with EQUAL RIGHTS. Plain and simple. PS: the dripping sarcasm was a nice touch =)
    Thank you.

Posted by: TM | Jun 16, 2011 12:03:16 PM

14. @Chadd
    Yeah, sadly they exist. Though homophobia is very discouraged in the atheist community

Posted by: Steve | Jun 16, 2011 12:04:02 PM

15. So here's where we are dating back to oh, circa 9/11/2001:

Christianity - good
    Islam - BAD
    Judaism - foundational
    LDS - weird, but ok
    all the rest - just weird

and here's where we SHOULD be by now:

We are a nation of secular laws based on the Constitution and ethical standards of behavior.

Since we are where we are and not where we should be, this idiot can stand up in the Assembly and sight the Torah as his authority and not get kicked out on his bony tuckus.

Posted by: BoxerDad | Jun 16, 2011 12:04:53 PM

16. Yeah! More publicity for my gal Lady Gaga! :-)

Posted by: FunMe | Jun 16, 2011 12:05:43 PM

17. I'm open minded until the book of fiction tells me I can't be.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 16, 2011 12:08:57 PM

18. obviously this guy doesn't respect the seperation of church and state...so then why is he not expelled from the state assembly....he represents only a specific bigoted segment

Posted by: chris | Jun 16, 2011 12:13:16 PM

19. And remember, boys and girls: Keep a watchful eye on those who might replace constitutional law with Shariah, the boogeyman Islamic law. If you see something, surely say something!
    But Dov can defer to Talmud and Torah whenever it suits him, because Jewish law is real American law!
    Dolan yesterday. Dov today. What's a girl to do?

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Jun 16, 2011 12:15:42 PM

20. So Near, and yet, SHOFAR!

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Jun 16, 2011 12:22:17 PM

21. "There is no choice for me. And I am open-minded."

No, as you've just demonstrated, you aren't. You believe you have the right to using the Torah to justify discriminatory legislation, thereby destructively forcing your religious beliefs on others who may or may not share them.

Assemblyman Hikind, I utterly reject your God. I am not a member of your religion, do not wish to be, and as an American, I demand my Constitutional right to live free of your beliefs. While I respect and will defend your right to believe as you see fit, I find your specific beliefs ridiculous and your actions as a grim example of how those who believe absurdities inevitably use such beliefs to justify atrocities.

You have no right to legislate the Torah into my life, and however you attempt to scapegoat your God for the wrong you do your fellow New Yorkers, I hold you solely responsible for your destructive intolerance.

You, Assemblyman Hikind. Not God, not the Torah, and not anything or anyone else. You, and you alone, are responsible for what you do.

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 16, 2011 12:28:21 PM

22. You represent the past, old man. Get out of the way.
    History will not judge you kindly.

Posted by: sjorgl | Jun 16, 2011 12:30:28 PM

23. Pssst, Dov, listen carefully: Yahweh is a jerk. See? Nothing happened. No lightning bolts. No earthquakes. No plague. You know why? BECAUSE HE DOESN'T EXIST.

Posted by: plinx | Jun 16, 2011 12:35:44 PM

24. WOW. He sure loves to talk! That is a whole lot of talk about NOTHING. What a dumbass.

Posted by: redball | Jun 16, 2011 12:52:26 PM

25. The Torah is clear on a lot of subjects, like what foods you are allowed to eat. If NY law should follow the Torah, then why isn't he pushing a bill to make every adhere to a kosher diet? What an idiot.

Posted by: ken | Jun 16, 2011 12:56:53 PM