Gay Marriage | New York | News

LIST: Possible GOP Swing Votes on NY Marriage Equality

Last night, Lawrence O'Donnell reported on the shift in votes for NY marriage equality.

The NY GOP is planning to conference the marriage equality bill from 10-12 am today. The following list contains the potential Republican swing votes on this measure. Let's keep the momentum going.

New Yorkers, calls these lawmakers, particularly if you are one of their constituents, and urge them to support passage of the bill.

Ny Senator Gregory R. Ball of Putnam County (845) 279-3773

Senator Mark Grisanti of Erie County (518) 455-3240
grisanti@nysenate.gov

Senator Stephen M. Saland of Poughkeepsie (845) 463-0840
saland@nysenate.gov

Senator John Flanagan of Long Island (518) 455-2071
flanagan@senate.state.ny.us

Comments

1. NEW YORKERS -- please call these people!

I wonder what there really is to "conference" about at this point -- hoping that's not code for Skelos scaring the hell out of the yes voters. Perhaps I'm being paranoid cause if Alesi and McDonald were to back out at this point, I think they know they would be creating bigger and badder enemies than the NY Conservative Party could muster.

My ideal -- getting two more votes by tomorrow (1 for passage, 1 for safety) That way we go into the actual vote knowing this is going to pass.

Posted by: Jollysocks | Jun 14, 2011 7:29:44 PM

2. I just got off the phone with my (gay) uncle who lives outside of Poughkeepsie. Sen. Saland has told him that he won't vote yes unless it is a sure thing. Call him and tell him that if he is the 32nd vote, then it will be a sure thing!

Posted by: Alan E. | Jun 14, 2011 7:44:10 PM

3. @Alan E: That could be the issue...the remaining GOP potential voters are all so afraid of being #32 and there being no #33, that no one will be #32. LOL. Hopefully they'll all come to their senses soon.

Posted by: Bruno | Jun 14, 2011 7:52:39 PM

4. andy... please add senator john flanagan of long island: 631-361-2154 (district) and 518-455-2071 (albany)

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Jun 14, 2011 7:55:25 PM

5. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATOR NOW.

There is too much at stake and there is no time to waste!

This is a defining moment in history.

Tonight is not the night for sitting back and watching TV or doing whatever you do on a Tuesday night.

Please- Take a stand, make the little teeny weeny effort to call up your Senator and tell them how you feel.

You WANT to be a part of this moment.

Marriage equality could become law TOMORROW. So do it TONIGHT.

Posted by: b | Jun 14, 2011 7:55:26 PM

6. Isn't it the case that if they have 31 that the lieutenant Governor (D) decides the tie?

Posted by: A | Jun 14, 2011 8:29:56 PM

7. Yes! Add Senator Flanagan. He is definitely undecided on this issue. Calls to him are important. 631-361-2154 (district) and 518-455-2071 (albany). I think he is one of those that will only vote yes if it definitely will pass. He needs to hear from people, especially constituents. Be friendly. Be positive. Tell a personal story. That is what we have on our opposition. We are directly influenced by this. They are not.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 14, 2011 8:41:35 PM

8. IMPORTANT NOTE: Lanza has no voice-mail, Ball's voice-mail is full, Little's voice-mail is full, Grisanti has no voice-mail, and Fuschillo is disconnected.

Posted by: Eugene | Jun 14, 2011 9:13:19 PM

9. OK so can we get Flanagan and Saland to talk to each other and agree to come out as a "bloc" in favor? Geez, I hope they're thinking of these things.

Posted by: Bruno | Jun 14, 2011 9:16:59 PM

10. OK, one of my state senators is on that undecided list.

What's everyone's opinion? Calling vs. emailing? I'd generally say the former, but I've heard they are getting thousands of calls (i.e., easy to ignore). I was thinking email b/c I sharp worded email might catch the eye of a staffer more than an easy-to-ignore call.

Any thoughts?

Posted by: Brad | Jun 14, 2011 9:25:35 PM

11. Well, I guess that answers that. My senator's phone line is not going to voice mail (and no one is picking up). Hopefully someone will see my email (I live not far from him) and bring it to his attention.

*fingers crossed!

Posted by: Brad | Jun 14, 2011 9:35:09 PM

12. Both, Brad. Do both. Send an email tonight. Call first thing tomorrow morning. Who's your senator?

Posted by: K | Jun 14, 2011 9:35:28 PM

13. I called all of them, but a few of the senators voicemail boxes were full. Any other numbers we can call? I'm assuming they all have email addresses, about to look those up.

PLEASE everyone continue calling tomorrow morning! This could be a huge victory for us, not only politically, but symbolically as well. It is INSANE that this bill has not already passed in New York.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 14, 2011 9:36:25 PM

14. what we should all do is write and thank State Senator Alesi the first Republican to break ranks and support gay marriage.

Posted by: chris | Jun 14, 2011 9:45:38 PM

15. It really works and takes very little effort. I just emailed my Aunt who lives in Nassau county and told her what was at stake. She promptly called and emailed her state senator and then emailed all her friends to do the same - and posted it on her facebook wall for her friends to do so. It just shows how any of you (one person) can take one small action that can snowball and potentially influence dozens+ to do the same! Let's make this happen

Posted by: G | Jun 14, 2011 9:48:52 PM

hannon@nysenate.gov

Charles J. Fuschillo
    fuschill@senate.state.ny.us

Greg Ball
    gball@nysenate.gov

Posted by: Mark | Jun 14, 2011 9:52:07 PM

17. Tried all the numbers above and like others said, some voicemail boxes were full, some just kept ringing. Here are other numbers we can call, all belonging to the Senators listed above. I haven't personally called them yet so I can't say for sure that you will be able to get through but let's all call first thing tomorrow morning!

Sen Ball : 518-455-3111

Sen Fuschillo: 518-455-3341

Sen Hannon: 518-455-2200

Sen Lanza: 518-455-3215

Sen Little: 518-455-2811 AND 518-561-2430

Sen Grisanti: 716-854-8705 AND 716-773-9600 ext 654

Sen Saland: 518-455-2411 AND 518-828-1529

Big day tomorrow....

Posted by: Coll | Jun 14, 2011 9:59:28 PM

18. if the mailboxes (district and albany) are full please email them... it's not that hard and it's super important. your and my rights are at stake. please take the time to contact the undecided senators.

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Jun 14, 2011 10:05:53 PM

19. i emailed ... you should too!

Posted by: Real | Jun 14, 2011 10:25:36 PM

20. It's great how active all of you are! One thing to mention to anyone you reach out to who says "Why should it matter they aren't going to read it anyway?" Not true! All of these senators have unpaid interns, and you can bet your ass one of them is going to be EXTREMELY busy tomorrow morning looking through all the emails sent tonight to tally the numbers for each side. OUR NUMBER HAS TO BE HIGHER!

Posted by: K | Jun 14, 2011 10:49:31 PM

21. This probably won't happen, but I sure do wish we could get all 7 on that list. That would put the final vote at 38-24, a perfect reversal of the disgraceful vote in 2009.

Posted by: David | Jun 14, 2011 11:15:47 PM

22. I would like to call my state senator. But, my legislator is St. Sen. Marty Golden, who is rabidly anti-gay. Just look at previous posts on Towleroad about his bill to de-legitimize all same-sex marriages in NYS.

Posted by: Clark | Jun 14, 2011 11:32:32 PM

23. I'm not a resident of New York, nor do I live in a state that looks kindly upon homosexuality, but as a young gay citizen, the prospect of seeing national marriage equality in the near future gives me enormous hope, not only for our community, but also for America. The enthusiasm that manifests itself among the commenters here betrays the willpower and determination that thrusts us forward in the fight for equality and characterizes the beauty of America's people, a beauty that sometimes only seems to live in the anthems we sing on patriotic days, a beauty that is often stained by negligent outbursts and stubborn beliefs; but a beauty that ultimately lies unscathed beneath the surface, waiting to shine.

No matter the outcome of this battle and the many battles to come, we should take note of the binding power of our will, our love, our convictions of what's right and what's wrong. These are the things that make us great, that make us who we are. These are the things that will carry us to freedom and ultimately see us through the storm.

Posted by: E | Jun 14, 2011 11:40:43 PM

24. I don't live in NY but here is what I've sent to seven Republicans on the list. I also sent thank you's to Alesi and Macdonald.

Dear Senator Saland,

I hope you will look into your heart and decide to follow the example of your fellow Republicans Senators Alesi and McDonald. Think about why you went into politics; I'm sure it was out of a desire to help people. There are thousands of good, kind gay people in your district who need your help to be able to marry the one they love and enjoy what everyone else wants in life. It's the right thing to do and you will look back on this moment in years to come and feel good about what you did to help them.

Greg Hacke

Posted by: Greg Hacke | Jun 14, 2011 11:42:18 PM

25. Please everyone, take a few minutes to call or e-mail. Every voice can make a difference. Personally, I think that one good personal story can be more powerful than the words of 1000 negative homophobes. Let's make an attempt here, please!

Posted by: Ty | Jun 15, 2011 1:19:37 AM