Michael Bloomberg | New York | News | Travel

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg to Launch Tourism Campaign Urging Gay People to Marry in the Big Apple

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg is set to launch a tourism campaign taking advantage of the state's new marriage equality law, Bloomberg reports:

Bloomberg The “NYC I Do” campaign “will create millions of dollars in additional economic impact to the city’s $31 billion tourism industry,” Kimberly Spell, a spokeswoman for New York & Company, the city’s marketing office, said yesterday in an e- mail. Bloomberg will unveil more details in coming days, she said.

The Office of the Mayor has also posted a Q&A:

When can same-sex couples begin marrying in New York?
The Marriage Equality Act allows same-sex couples to obtain marriage licenses starting 30 days after the Act was signed into law. State law generally requires couples to wait 24 hours after receiving a license before they can be married. Learn more at the City Clerk’s website. Learn more at the City Clerk's website.

How do I get a marriage license in New York City?
To get a marriage license, apply for one from the New York City Clerk’s office.   Once you obtain a license, it is valid for sixty days. Learn more at the City Clerk's website.

Can my spouse and I get married in New York City if we were already married in another state or country?
Yes.  You and your spouse can get married again in New York, whether you reside here or not.  (Note: New York already recognizes lawful marriages, including same-sex marriages, that were performed elsewhere.)

Comments

1. and now we know the -real- reason he supported gay marriage in New York...

Posted by: nightfallcub | Jun 27, 2011 11:45:59 AM

2. The city is estimated to make $400 Million because of gay marriage...Bloomberg want our gay dollars of course!

Posted by: SanJ | Jun 27, 2011 11:49:45 AM

3. There is A LOT of pandering for gay dollars out there right now, but Im not going to be so cynical about this. Perhaps this was just the right climate for it right now. Arkansas could desperately use the added dollars of gay tourism and marriage, but you'll never see them doing this. Im just going to appreciate the moment and not be the sour old queen in the corner that gay guys always turn into.

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 27, 2011 11:59:15 AM

4. Some of this revenue could of been going to CA if the bigots didn't over turn Prop 8. All I can do is sigh that my state is losing all that revenue that could been made in CA.

Posted by: Dairyqueen | Jun 27, 2011 12:09:52 PM

5. @Jerry: I feel your pain. New York just moved up on my list of places to vacation because they have proven to be a gay friendly state. However, I won't get married there because I will only have to return home to Georgia where my marriage certificate would just be a worthless piece of paper.

I am sincerely happy for my New York brothers and sisters, but now there is inequality amongst our own community based solely on where in the country we live. Equality should not be left up to the states but needs to be addressed at a Federal level.

But thanks NY for being at the forefront of the issue and doing the right thing!

Posted by: Chadd | Jun 27, 2011 12:14:26 PM

6. My partner and I were already planning a trip for Thanksgiving with our kids to celebrate our 20th anniversary and we just decided to get married while we are there (our kids will finally get to be the flower girl and ring bearer). @ Chad, I know that when we get back to Texas the marriage won't be recognized but it will be a great memory for our family and when the kids are off to college, we may move there if marriage isn't legal in Texas by that time (about 10 years) but one can hope!

Posted by: RONTEX | Jun 27, 2011 12:25:26 PM

7. Actually, the non-residency clause in NY could mean lots of court challenges in the future under the constitutional provision that states must accept the legality of the acts of other states. This may mean, for example, that a couple could go to NY, get married and then sue Georgia to recognize their marriage. Under DOMA they don't have to, but DOMA could be overturned. This may also revive the FMA among conservatives, though they don't have the votes to get it passed.

Posted by: anon | Jun 27, 2011 12:29:59 PM

8. In today's econonmy, the revenues pouring into the state's coffers will be a shot in the arm. Think of all the small business benefiting from our marriage dollars, some struggling because banks refuse to give them loans. You'd think the conservatives would support marriage equality because of the financial advantages and impact on small businesses. Marriage is a very conservative act anyway, even more reason to support it. I guess its true what they say about the GOP, they really don't care about all of the the people, only their low tax-paying corporate benefactors.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 27, 2011 12:35:21 PM

9. Smart man - cha-ching!

Posted by: Steve | Jun 27, 2011 12:38:42 PM

10. I'm happy for NY and everything, but BITE ME. Why would I do it there and return home with a worthless piece of paper? I will wait and hope that the stupid state I have lived in and paid taxes in my entire life pulls its head out of its butt. I do think that there will be a surge in NY economy though and hopefully that gets reported on like crazy. Maybe it will help the rest of us in the other 44 states.

Posted by: AJ | Jun 27, 2011 12:45:49 PM

11. Strategy, strategy, strategy.

Why marry in NY? First of all, because it's awesome here, and there's more to NY than just NYC - it's a beautiful state, which happens to contain one of the cultural capitals of the world and its greatest city.

Second, if DOMA is repealed (or, as is the case now, unenforced), then couples married in places like NY, which has no residency requirement, can sue under interstate commerce laws. (P.S. Obama's always playing chess three steps ahead. Why do you think he went after DOMA first, esp. after seeing non-hippie commie liberal places like IA and NH legalize marriage equality? Yes he's a coward for not saying anything right now, but that's just not how he rolls, for what it's worth.)

Third, come to NY to marry and spend tons of your wedding and honeymoon gift money here because a) you'll love it because it's awesome and b) you'll show other states the fiscal reasons why they should legalize marriage equality. If tea partiers and others partaking of the broader trend toward libertarianism are really all that powerful, and are really all about personal liberty, states' rights, and fiscal responsibility, this is a no-brainer for them.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Jun 27, 2011 1:06:40 PM

12. The challenges to DOMA only apply to Section 3. Section 2 (recognition by other states) hasn't been legally attacked yet.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 27, 2011 1:29:08 PM

13. MA and NY both have no residency requirement. MA has a 3-day waiting period and NY 1 day btw the issuing of the license and the wedding. Getting the waiting period waived is no problem in either place for adults.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 27, 2011 1:32:41 PM

14. "Second, if DOMA is repealed (or, as is the case now, unenforced)..."

That may be the case in the same world where NYC is the world's greatest city, but it's not the case in reality. DOMA is still very much enforced. If you don't believe me, ask Barack Obama.

Posted by: ohplease | Jun 27, 2011 2:22:37 PM

15. Gee that didn't take long.

Posted by: Greg | Jun 27, 2011 3:23:40 PM

16. My partner and I currently live in Florida...but we are going to be married in Rochester NY (home of Susan B. Anthony) on October 29th of this year. And we will be spending upwards of $20-$30K there (wedding/reception/hotels, etc.)

I don't imagine we will be staying in FL much longer, and the Northeast is looking more and more welcoming every day.

Posted by: acorlando | Jun 27, 2011 4:10:15 PM

17. the mayor really put himself into getting this thru the legislature no matter what his goals. not many politicians would do it. and if in the end it helps the state and the city all the better.

Posted by: walter | Jun 27, 2011 4:22:27 PM

18. NYC natives thank you Mayah Bloomberg, for inviting more tourist to the city.

I would encourage all people, gay, so-called straight or whatever, to support your local economy as much as possible. And save as much as you can, invest wisely, because our economy, contrary to some media reporting, is crap and will be for a long time.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 27, 2011 4:23:08 PM

19. GOOD FOR YOU, MIKE BLOOMBERG!

Posted by: Yeek | Jun 27, 2011 6:05:51 PM

20. Bllomberg knows that marriage equality brings JOBS to the city, in addition to the new revenue from all those weddings. The Caterers' Association, for example, was positively drooling when I queried them on Saturday, over all that newfound money they'll be making!

Posted by: Nathan James | Jun 28, 2011 9:25:48 AM

21. This is such a wonderful step and long overdue. And better yet it will produce even more tourism. I have been touring my city recently and really been taking advantage of a virtual NYC Map called City Maps. Its is the coolest thing I have seen in a while and will be great to help with all the tourist! IT's a win win!

Posted by: Jack | Jul 1, 2011 2:07:56 PM