Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News | Robert Gates

Officials: Gates Unlikely to Certify 'DADT' Repeal Before Retirement

Wtih Defense Secretary Robert Gates retiring on June 20, the Stars and Stripes reports that certification of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repeal is unlikely to happen before that happens

Gates Defense Secretary Robert Gates is unlikely to certify repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” before leaving office next week, senior defense and military officials said...

...Gay rights groups have for weeks been pushing for Gates to wrap up the process, concerned that his replacement, CIA director Leon Panetta, might wait several more months before moving forward. Now, with Gates’ retirement just days away, that’s becoming less realistic.

Final assessments on the progress of the training are due this Friday:

Those reports will help the Army chief of staff’s office compile its final recommendations on repeal, which the defense secretary and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen must review before certifying the change.

Comments

1. You mean June 30, not June 20. Just clearing that up for anyone who was confused.

Posted by: Scot Colford | Jun 22, 2011 3:07:24 PM

2. Thanks Scot. Ummmm, Copy Editor anyone?

Posted by: Peter | Jun 22, 2011 3:11:34 PM

3. I see no benefit in Gates certifying repeal and then leaving. Better to have his successor certify it and then own it.

Posted by: BillyBoy | Jun 22, 2011 3:25:31 PM

4. I fail to see why Panetta would be so cautious.

Posted by: anon | Jun 22, 2011 3:41:31 PM

5. Obama is going to milk DADT repeal for all it is worth, and that means putting it off until just before the next election, so that he can pass it off as the great stride forward that it isn't.

Posted by: Roscoe | Jun 22, 2011 5:55:24 PM

6. I can't express how personally disappointing this new is for me. It would have been fantastic for me to have the love of my life by my side at my promotion ceremony on the 1st of September. Now, it appears that I'll go through yet another significant career milestone without my main supporter in attendance. How much longer do we have to suffer the indignities of the closet? This makes me feel less than human.

Posted by: Gayinmilitary | Jun 22, 2011 6:43:01 PM

7. Certification was originally slated for late July/early August. That may still be the timeframe, so you may yet have your lover at your promotion ceremony. Don't get your hopes up too much, but it's still very possible.

Posted by: BABH | Jun 22, 2011 7:05:59 PM

8. There is a 60 day period after certification before anyone is allowed to come out of the closet without risk of being processed for discharged.

Posted by: Gayinmilitary | Jun 22, 2011 7:36:11 PM

9. Are we still refusing to admit that this so-called repeal process is wack? Who knows how long it will be before it's safe for LesBiGay soldiers to declare themselves? If certification is delayed past the next election, and Romney is elected, it will never happen.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jun 23, 2011 12:23:37 PM