Film | News | Steven Spielberg

BigGayDeal.com

Oscar Bait: 'War Horse' Trailer

Warhorse

Steven Spielberg and John Williams are fishing for Oscar with this adaptation of the stage play based on the children's book by Michael Morpurgo.

No puppets in this epic though.

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I've never been much of a fan of "horse movies," but this looks good. I would love to see the play -- the "puppetry" (that word seems almost juvenile and insulting) I saw on the Tonys was amazing.

Posted by: Gregor | Jun 29, 2011 10:50:30 AM

2. This looks pretty epic and it made me tear up. John Williams music is perfection.

Posted by: RONTEX | Jun 29, 2011 10:56:12 AM

3. I don't think the film has anything to do with the play, other than the same novel as source. Given the raft of Tonys the show won, I can't imagine the producers would want a film undercutting their box office.

Posted by: Ronny | Jun 29, 2011 10:58:03 AM

4. looks wonderful, brought tears to my eyes.

Posted by: Rob West | Jun 29, 2011 11:14:16 AM

5. Damnit... I'm gonna watch that movie and cry my eyes out, I know it.

Posted by: Bravo | Jun 29, 2011 11:15:57 AM

6. @BRAVO: Hahahaha. Was thinking the exact same thing.

Posted by: AJ | Jun 29, 2011 11:24:45 AM

7. @Ronny. Having seen the play, from the visuals presented in the trailer, it seems to be a pretty accurate representation of what I saw on stage. I welled up watching this, remembering the magic that I experienced in the theatre, and I only hope the film does this beautiful, tragic story justice. It looks stunning, minus the genius and imaginative "puppets" used in the play. If Speilberg can capture the magic and spirit, then he's got a sure-fire winner on his hands.

Posted by: Patrick | Jun 29, 2011 11:36:04 AM

8. That's just great! Here comes a new Oscar category: Best horse in a leading role.
    *roll eyes*

Posted by: DALI | Jun 29, 2011 11:40:04 AM

9. Someone tell me the horse doesn't die, please.

Posted by: Rin | Jun 29, 2011 11:56:36 AM

10. Interesting and beautiful.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 29, 2011 12:00:09 PM

11. I am SO there!

Posted by: james Brown | Jun 29, 2011 12:29:18 PM

12. The play and the movie are independent of each other. Both are adaptations of the same book; the film is not an adaptation of the play.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 29, 2011 12:29:43 PM

13. "Here comes a new Oscar category: Best horse in a leading role."

He better hope Sarah Jessica Parker isn't in anything this year.

I'm not familiar with this play, but I can already tell that horse is going to die at the end and I'll be sitting through the end credits like a blubbering fool.

Posted by: nodnarb | Jun 29, 2011 12:33:53 PM

14. @NODNARB

Nor Julia Roberts, 'cause then this poor horse has no chance of winning!

Posted by: DALI | Jun 29, 2011 5:46:35 PM

15. Spielberg channels David Lean pure movie glory.

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 29, 2011 5:49:30 PM

16. As good as the movie looks, nothing will compare to the production at Lincoln Center. Hands down the most AMAZING theatrical experience of my life. The only way to tell this story is on the stage...intimate, exhilerating and so full of passion for life. To sit in the audience and see grown men with tear stained faces...not of sadness but just overcome with emotion of watching the boy reunite with his horse....I still choke up. GO SEE IT!

Posted by: JP | Jun 29, 2011 11:56:07 PM