Andrew Cuomo | New York

Photo: Governor Andrew Cuomo At NYC's Pride Parade

Cuomo
Taken earlier today, Governor Cuomo and Christine Quinn at New York City's Pride parade. According to the New York Daily News, parade participants held signs that read "Thank you, Governor!"

Watch some early parade footage, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Cuomo 2016!

Posted by: Damen | Jun 26, 2011 3:55:39 PM

2. you know, it's real tempting to say "Cuomo in 2016!!" but that would mean Sandra Lee would be First Lady, and I'm not sure any of us are ready for that.

of course, she looks super cute in the above pic. "HEY GURRRRRLLLL"

Posted by: nightfallcub | Jun 26, 2011 4:02:01 PM

3. The crowd went apesh*t when Cuomo passed by (with good reason!) Oh, and the signs said “Thank you, Governor” on one side and “Promise kept” on the other.

Happy Pride everyone!

Posted by: ichabod | Jun 26, 2011 4:02:40 PM

4. uhh... you mean Christine Quinn?

Posted by: ben | Jun 26, 2011 4:07:38 PM

5. I would love having Miss Sandra Lee as our first lady...though she's got some 'splainin' to do about her Kwanzaa cake

Posted by: MrJ | Jun 26, 2011 4:29:54 PM

6. And after the parade they probably all went back to the governor's mansion for some Kwanzaa cake (even though it is the wrong time of year). http://youtu.be/we2iWTJqo98 Andrew Cuomo has a great future ahead.

Posted by: JJ | Jun 26, 2011 4:32:49 PM

7. LOL at the thought of Sandra Lee as first lady. Think of all the tablescapes!

Posted by: Damien | Jun 26, 2011 5:11:12 PM

8. If only you understood how pathetic we are. We cheer because we put one state in the gay marriage column, after a few years of hard work. Conservatives put ELEVEN states in their column in one night: the election night of November 2004, when 11 states passed constitutional bans on gay marriage. Our accomplishments are nothing compared to theirs. We have to work so hard for years, and for what? Just for the state of New York. I'd hate to imagine what it would take to legalize gay marriage in Oklahoma.

Someone tell me how do you reverse a state constitutional ban on gay marriage? There is no way in my lifetime, short of a Supreme Court decision (and good luck with that). Yea yea yea, right now it's time to cheer and get drunk and yea yea yea today we might not have what it takes to make it happen in Oklahoma but we will in a few years, blah blah blah. Whatever! My rights are being denied TODAY. I don't need gay marriage rights after I'm dead.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 26, 2011 6:02:29 PM

9. This is a major step in the right direction.

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 26, 2011 6:12:36 PM

10. Have you noticed how the mainstream newspapers in New York (New York Post, New York Daily News) avoid showing two men kissing in their coverage? If it's two women they'll publish the photo but if it's two men they won't.

Just goes to show how homophobic these newspapers really are. If you don't believe me, just check their coverage. New York papers are homophobic.

Posted by: adam | Jun 26, 2011 6:14:35 PM

11. Frankly, I would support Cuomo 2012.

Posted by: William | Jun 26, 2011 6:49:30 PM

12. Look at me, I'm Sandra Lee... I could be First Lay-ay-dee.
    (Sorry I just had to!)

Posted by: b | Jun 26, 2011 6:59:49 PM

13. I'm a Homo for Cuomo!!

Posted by: kodiak | Jun 26, 2011 7:02:36 PM

14. @MARK
    Dont be such a big ole drama queen, honey! Relax and appreciate whats happened and be happy for whats accomplished and quit hanging around 2004 like its the mens room at a Virgin Megastore. Lots of work to be done and we wont do any of it by whining and reminiscing.

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 26, 2011 7:38:43 PM

15. I was on Christopher st as Cuomo and his crowd turned the corner. The music cut out for a bit, and we were all confused for a half second, then the wedding march came on and the crowd went wild.

The whole thing was very celebratory (of course), but even more so.

Posted by: liam | Jun 26, 2011 7:46:29 PM

16. Do you know that Stacey Jackson is going to be singing at Gay Pride on 2nd July. Awesome.

Posted by: kala | Jun 26, 2011 7:46:29 PM

17. Thank You, Governor!

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 26, 2011 7:50:21 PM

18. A very good thing, especially since, for once, it involved the state assembly, not court decrees like Canada, Massachusetts, etc.,

That said, NY state is still going down the crapper. One of the most corrupt and poorly managed, grossly over taxed states and cities in the country. It makes Taxachusetts look good. And Cumo is the wrong guy for the job to fix NY states VERY serious problems.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 26, 2011 8:57:18 PM

19. @ratbastard... Legislatures have passed gay marriage in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont without court action. California also passed it, but it got vetoed by the governor. In Maryland, the Senate passed it and the Governor supports it (just waiting on the assembly).

Posted by: J.P. | Jun 26, 2011 9:41:25 PM

20. the nydn had a poll trying to show that people are opposed to marriage equality. the news and the post should go the way of all yellow journals, out of business.

Posted by: walter | Jun 26, 2011 10:33:17 PM

21. The true face of a FIERCE advocate for LGBT rights!!

Cuomo 2016!!

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jun 27, 2011 12:17:15 AM

22. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLMNZ6xY6YY

Sandra Lee as first lady! AEHAEHAEHAEH

Posted by: Brion | Jun 27, 2011 12:19:38 AM

23. @J.P.,

I know, but they [as you said] were vetoed and what not. NY State made history.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 27, 2011 12:21:21 AM

24. Here's how a Canadian newspaper covered this. Yes this is what a fierce advocate looks like.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 27, 2011 4:05:04 AM

25. I am such a proud New Yorker and i can honestly say that I have started crying at every article and video clip that I have seen since Friday night. I was on 5th Avenue at the start of the parade and i will remember it for as long as I love. No picture has done it justice.. 10 black SUVs, guards EVERYWHERE, Cuomo with Quinn and Bloomberg and directly behind them, a sea of people - shoulder to shoulder, the ENTIRE width of 5th Avenue from barricade to barricade and several blocks long.. just one moving mass of sheer bliss. The screaming, the crying - myself included - just incredible. I wasn't on Christopher Street in time to see Cuomo and company make that trek and I can only imagine (please, someone locate film and video of it!), but I was able to finish out the parade at the foot of Stonewall, crying, laughing, cheering and celebrating. NYC Pride 2011 was an event of a lifetime.

Posted by: Joey P | Jun 27, 2011 5:48:43 AM