Books | J.K. Rowling | News

J.K. Rowling Announces 'Pottermore': VIDEO

Pottermore

J.K. Rowling announces the next step in the Harry Potter series, Pottermore. The more being more money into her bank account!

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I find it absolutely impossible not to love this woman. She just seems like a genuinely sweet, kind lady.

She could be a monster in real life but the image she presents to the world makes me love the Harry Potter universe even more. I just hope she is really that sweet and kind-hearted- someone who actually does adore her fans as much as they adore her.

Either way I'm intrigued by this website idea and thrilled at the prospect of FINALLY having HP as an e-book. No more needing to lug around those overtly-big tombs.

Posted by: Aedan | Jun 23, 2011 10:08:32 AM

2. Zing!

Posted by: Zack | Jun 23, 2011 10:18:52 AM

3. BTW Pottermore is FREE jackass. I love J K Rowling...she got everyone around me in reading mode and for that i'm thankful.

Posted by: Bosie | Jun 23, 2011 11:09:49 AM

4. It sounds like something that should have been started around the time of the 4th book. At this point, long after the series finale, what more is there to do than rehash the same story and pick up whatever tidbits about the world she thought up after publication? How about a darker, more adult-themed HP series? That would intrigue me.

Posted by: Iko | Jun 23, 2011 11:12:38 AM

5. I like IKO's idea about an adult themed series. I mean all the 10 year old kids who started reading HP when it came out are now in their 20s. There's an audience to be had if she's capable of writing it. And I can't imagine we'll all be satisfied if Harry doesn't get laid.

Posted by: Sam | Jun 23, 2011 11:33:43 AM

6. If anyone can change the world of books and/or reading, it is J.K. Rowling. Whatever she is doing certainly sounds like the future. I am glad that she is still inspiring kids and adults to read actual books, to use their imagination and to create.

She already has more money than GOD, so clearly she doesn't need the work...

Posted by: Chadd | Jun 23, 2011 11:51:06 AM

7. "The more being more money into her bank account!"

Seriously, what's with the editorial commentary? Is this really Andy posting these articles? It's going the snarky way of Queerty these days.

Posted by: Frozen North | Jun 23, 2011 11:57:30 AM

8. IKO: Yes, just as the world featured in "The Wizard of Oz" ended ages ago. That "Wicked" nonsense and its sequel books added nothing ;)

Posted by: Sean Mac | Jun 23, 2011 12:08:35 PM

9. First off, Sam, Harry does get laid. He has kids... even in the wizard world you need to get laid to produce those.

Second, I'm such a huge dork, but I'm REALLY excited.

Posted by: Jon B | Jun 23, 2011 12:20:15 PM

10. Sean Mac: I disagree about "Wicked." I have but haven't read the 2 sequels so I can't comment on them, but "Wicked" brought a lot of depth and political meaning to the Oz universe while still staying (more or less) within the lines created by L. Frank Baum. To me the true travesty is the musical with its insipid girl empowerment message, a very minor issue in the book if it was there at all. But then I never cared much for the Baum books, even as a child.

Just a minor difference of opinion, but not everyone agrees with you about "Wicked."

Posted by: Codswallop | Jun 23, 2011 12:22:26 PM

11. I will always love and respect her for Gay Dumbledore. The conservatives were going nuts over that. The strongest wizard in the world was gay. Amazing.

Anyway, love her and lover what she's doing to the world. Spreading great messages and influences.

Posted by: Uranus | Jun 23, 2011 12:30:05 PM

12. I love that she shared her gift of writing good stories with the world - and got a ton of kids to read when they normally wouldn't. She deserves every good thing coming to her.

Posted by: Shane | Jun 23, 2011 1:21:32 PM

13. @AEDAN

It's 'tomes' not 'tombs'. Carrying tombs IS great exercise though.

Posted by: Eric26 | Jun 23, 2011 2:01:11 PM

14. I'm sorry, but the question remains: what IS Pottermore? A game? a discussion forum? A blog? I just don't get it, I'm sorry. (That being said, I'll be one of the first sign ups, no question.)

Posted by: Alex | Jun 23, 2011 2:17:25 PM

15. "The more being more money into her bank account!"

that was entirely unnecessary and stupid.

Posted by: Coffee&Chicory | Jun 23, 2011 3:24:53 PM

16. You know, someone ought to fix the recommendations at the bottom of this. It says:

"You may also like: Gay Teen Savagely Murdered in Scotland"

No, I do not like that.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 23, 2011 3:48:02 PM

17. I was never a huge fan, but anyone whose hero is Jessica Mitford is okay in my book.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 23, 2011 6:57:48 PM

18. I've been a huge fan of HP since I read the first book in 99 or so, but Pottermore is kind of "eh" for me.

Alex, Pottermore seems to be 1) the exclusive place to buy Potter e-books, 2) a Harry Potter social-networking game -- more than just an online forum but far from a full-fledged MMORPG, and 3) a place for JKR to dump various notes about the Potter universe she has written up (18,000 words so far, apparently).

#3 is really the only thing that interests me, and the fact that it is considerably less than the encyclopedia-of-the-Potter-world that has been teased for years disappoints me (though over time it could grow into a free version of that, which is nice).

Really, I just want her to write something new (preferably non-HP related!) Maybe now that the movies are ending and this site is giving her a location to infodump her old back notes, she'll be able to focus on something else and do that.

Posted by: Isaac | Jun 23, 2011 8:33:54 PM