Gay Pride | News | Rainbow Flag | Richmond | Virginia

Pride Flag Drama: Some Upset at Richmond Bank's 'Commitment to Values of Acceptance and Inclusion''

Richmond

Richmond's Federal Reserve Bank is flying the Pride Flag for the month of June at the request of PRISM, an LGBT employee group, but some wingnuts are already complaining, though the Richmond bank is a private institution.

Said Sally Green said, chief operating officer at the bank: "We strongly support a diverse and inclusive culture at the Richmond Fed and have learned that it is important to value and embrace differences, both seen and unseen. We are flying the ‘Pride’ flag as an example of our commitment to the values of acceptance and inclusion."

Watch WRIC's report on complaints the flag has generated, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That is a great move and example.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 2, 2011 7:52:50 AM

2. Wow. I find that impressive and heartening. It sounds like they are showing their acceptance of all their employees, not telling others what they have to do or think. Simply, plainly, boldly stated. Thank you, Ms. Sally. Sign me up for an account!

Posted by: C | Jun 2, 2011 8:00:58 AM

3. Awesome

Posted by: Bastian | Jun 2, 2011 8:03:14 AM

4. Notice how the people who support are happy to be on camera stating their views while the dissenters are making off-camera posts on a Facebook wall.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 2, 2011 8:12:53 AM

5. Thank God someone in our city did something right on this issue for a change.

As for the wingnuts complaining, it's really few and far between. A minority of bigots who still want their day to be able to castigate gays as evil sinners who are in the closet. Glad to see more and more standing up against their hate.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 2, 2011 8:52:03 AM

6. I know the lady in the interview! haha. When I first saw the flag downtown, I was quite shocked. Although, I probably should not have been because Richmond is surprisingly accepting, especially The City itself. Capital One and Dominion are two other very large area employers who really embrace diversity.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 2, 2011 9:17:55 AM

7. I think it's great too! (Of course!) I hope they set an example and we see more pride flags in Richmond. Gad knows we need them!

Posted by: jack | Jun 2, 2011 9:20:38 AM

8. C: You have to be a financial institution to have an account with the Federal Reserve (which, btw, isn't federal and has no reserves).

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 2, 2011 9:27:12 AM

9. Nice one. I live in Canada and even still was surprised to see a Pride Flag proudly on display at St. Michael's hospital in the ER. The hospital is downtown but St. Mike's? It made me very happy!

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 2, 2011 9:27:27 AM

10. wonderful article. I couldn't find Sally Green's email address on the FED's website, but i sent an appreciatory note to her through

Posted by: Grego | Jun 2, 2011 9:27:51 AM

11. It's cute, really. The gay employees working in that bank are probably quite happy. I bet their productivity has doubled. I would consider opening an account if I lived there. (I wonder if the bank thought about that). First instance I can think of a rainbow flag not in a parade or on a bumper sticker or a beach house. Yay!

Posted by: kodiak | Jun 2, 2011 9:37:29 AM

12. LOL.........All corporations like Richmond Bank 'celebrate' diversity in 2011 and have done so now for a LONG time. It extends right down to hiring quotas, although they give quotas a different name like benchmarks, because quotas are technically illegal.

==============

Sally Green said, chief operating officer at the bank: "We strongly support a diverse and inclusive culture at the Richmond Fed and have learned that it is important to value and embrace differences, both seen and unseen. We are flying the ‘Pride’ flag as an example of our commitment to the values of acceptance and inclusion."

-----------*roll eyes*-------------- PATHETIC corporate-speak. I was going to do a plain English translation of this woman's contrived spiel, but it would cause too many hissy fits.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 2, 2011 9:39:35 AM

13. oops! I thought it was a local bank! LOL! note to self: no posting before that first cup of coffee while online laying in bed. (My Inner Minnie Pearl still wants to go into the "bank" and try to open an account though)

Posted by: kodiak | Jun 2, 2011 9:42:29 AM

14. Guess some rats can't be pleased no matter what you do.

Posted by: Adrian | Jun 2, 2011 9:53:17 AM

15. And the Federal Reserve really isn't a bank. This institution is responsible for playing a HUGE role in our current economic debacle. I guess putting up rainbow flags and 'celebrating' diversity is a nice distraction from reality and answering hard questions.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 2, 2011 10:09:59 AM

16. @Kodiak, not sure what area of the country you live in. But you will be happy to know that in many places here in the Northeast, rainbow flags can be found hanging in front of many businesses and homes. It's a warm and welcome sight whenever I see it!

Posted by: Ian | Jun 2, 2011 10:24:40 AM

17. Again, some rats will never appreciate a symbolic gesture because all they can think of is behaving like a bastard.

Posted by: Adrian | Jun 2, 2011 11:54:48 AM

18. If you call the main number, the operator can connect you to their communications voicemail box. You can leave a message. She said they are listening to every message left. Easy!
    Main: 804-697-8000

Posted by: ruby | Jun 2, 2011 3:18:49 PM

19. I think it's nice to celebrate all cultures and beliefs. I wonder if they'll fly a Christian flag during September, celebrating Christian Heritage Month? Just saying...

Posted by: Sergio | Jun 2, 2011 8:51:47 PM

20. I am so glad they did this in the city I live in... already a State Rep has sent a letter to have it removed and I feel our biased Gov (who has a trangendered brother/sister-inlaw) will have it ripped down... but it is a Federal building and Obama did recognize June as Pride Month (in so many words)... bring on the press... I am there tomorrow after work for a picture...

Posted by: Kelly | Jun 2, 2011 11:29:50 PM

21. Infinite upside: those who normally wouldn't get into this discussion will now have to talk about how the Richmond Fed is NOT a federal institution (despite the name). Like the ones who are flipping out from behind the safety of their keyboards about the sickening thought of a "federal building" flying a rainbow flag.

Worth it. Oh and hoo-rah diversity and all that...

Posted by: Jr Deputy Accountant | Jun 2, 2011 11:30:32 PM

22. more sick depraved liberals working in our federal government ..trying to push the gay social agenda of depravity

Posted by: ronald reagan | Jun 4, 2011 3:40:18 PM

23. we are paying millions for their healthcare reinforcing their depraved lifestyles

Posted by: ronald reagan | Jun 4, 2011 3:41:56 PM

24. @ronaldreagan:

"more sick depraved liberals working in our federal government ..trying to push the gay social agenda of depravity"

Let's have a big round of applause, ladies and gentleman, for ronaldreagan, who, today, joins us from our studio in the 1950s...

Posted by: Mundus | Jun 4, 2011 6:37:14 PM

25. @RonaldReagan: Aside from the fact that the Federal Reserve is not a federal organization...

The constitution clearly tells us that the government cannot favor any particular religion, whereas it does not mention Pride Month. Clearly, the founders thought the Christians were far more damaging to society than the LGBT community.

Posted by: Mykelb | Jun 13, 2011 10:20:59 AM