Gay Marriage | New York | News

REPORT: GOP Still in Stalemate on NY Marriage Equality Vote; Could Take Days

Captonight

Folks are reporting that there has been little progress on a decision to vote on a marriage equality bill in the New York Senate and it could take days, though there have been no official statements yet today.

AP spoke to two senators:

The senators, speaking on condition of anonymity, say gay marriage is tied up in negotiations with other issues including rent control in New York City and a statewide property tax cap.

A vote by the majority Republican conference to send the marriage bill to the Senate floor or kill it could still be days away.

Comments

1. These people suck.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 20, 2011 12:51:02 PM

2. Expected. Our rights are nothing but a political football at most for a majority of Republicans. So pathetic. Remember people, it's the conservatives who are fighting tooth and nail to prevent any legal progress for our community. Don't ever forget who our true enemies are.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 20, 2011 1:12:07 PM

3. I have a bad feeling that this might not happen.....

Posted by: Bob | Jun 20, 2011 1:17:49 PM

4. So, we've got a moving target, eh?

As though anyone ever really bought the idea that the pols were 'conflicted' about equality for everyone.

Give'em what they want; it undermines their own bullshiz anyway. You can't have it both ways, boys. You can't be righteous & playing politics with the rights of others.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Jun 20, 2011 1:25:01 PM

5. why do we insist on calling it 'same-sex marriage'? Its got nothing to do with sex, its about marriage equality, regardless of the gender of the individuals.

Posted by: Grego | Jun 20, 2011 1:35:10 PM

6. The sanctity of property taxes? I love these guys, what hypocrites. I'm really spiritually conflicted over same-sex marriage but I will have no problem voting against my strongly held moral beliefs if you lower my property taxes. This is why you do not vote on civil rights.

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Jun 20, 2011 1:52:59 PM

7. @Plaintom: You know when you DO vote on civil rights? When New York Supreme Court justices decide that that's the only way you'll get them. It sucks.

Posted by: Bruno | Jun 20, 2011 2:07:29 PM

8. I like Mayor Bloomberg overall. But he is the man who did much of the bankrolling to give republicans the majority. Despite all this window-dressing and posturing by the mayor, if this does not EVEN GET A VOTE, I blame him

I know this went down when Dems were the majority, too. At least the leadership allowed a vote.

Posted by: Greg | Jun 20, 2011 2:18:11 PM

9. @Plaintom: Love it. Its not a deeply help spiritual belief for most of them, just a bargaining chip. The Spiritual conflict is just a good show for their constituents. You are so right, sanctity of money is more like it.

Posted by: Brad | Jun 20, 2011 2:18:28 PM

10. They both need to go to hell. Literally.

Posted by: Attmay | Jun 20, 2011 3:24:32 PM

11. I jst though the Caucsians were some Gay friendly? YES I'm snarky since all the African Americans are on board for Equality!

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | Jun 21, 2011 1:29:31 AM