Music | Music Video | News | Robyn | Rye Rye

Rye Rye and Robyn Street Serenade in 'Never Will Be Mine' Video

Ryeryerobyn

I mentioned the other day that I love this collaboration. Now it has a video directed by Tim Nakashi.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Arjan offers his review here, and thinks this will allow Robyn some mainstream success. In other news, Robyn will reportedly be giving a free one-hour concert at H&M in NYC this weekend, and sign autographs for two hours.

Comments

1. I don't think Robyn or her fans wish for mainstream success. She's at her most-creative when she's left of center, on the fringe.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 16, 2011 9:00:22 AM

2. Robyn is brilliant. Who the hell is Rye Rye?

Posted by: Shane | Jun 16, 2011 9:14:56 AM

3. I agree with Jason... Robyn is likely too quirky to ever be truly mainstream. I'm glad that she's been able to build a bigger US fan base over the past year but I hope success doesn't change her. I love her just the way she is.

Posted by: matt | Jun 16, 2011 9:19:58 AM

4. I wish sampling meant as much success for the original artist. If that were the case, Imogen Heap would be a much larger presence after "Hide and Seek" was used as the basis for Jason Derulo's breakout (and biggest) radio hit "Whatcha Say".

I'm discounting the european dance tracks that have been appearing under American rap songs because (a) they're largely built on samples themselves and (b) they're instrumentals in their original form. "I Know You Want Me" being based on "77, Brazil Street", which was inspired by "The Bomb", which samples "Street Player", etc.

Posted by: Sean Mac | Jun 16, 2011 10:11:25 AM

5. Love

Posted by: Chuy | Jun 16, 2011 10:27:35 AM

6. ugh...what is a bright talent like robyn doing with another cookie cutter run of the mill ghetto rap princess? i hope robyn doesn't continue to sell herself short in this type of 'collaboration' to gain traction in the usa

Posted by: riffsf | Jun 16, 2011 10:28:11 AM

7. Saw Robyn last night in Columbia, MD. And she brought Rye-Rye out on the stage to sing this. Amazing performance and you can definitely see the respect between the two artists. Robyn definitely rocked the house. Oh, and Katy Perry was there as well and she did okay.

Posted by: Trey | Jun 16, 2011 10:58:53 AM

8. rye rye isn't mainstream!

Posted by: Tony | Jun 16, 2011 11:41:08 AM

9. Awesome song. I hope it does well.

Posted by: rob | Jun 16, 2011 12:54:43 PM

10. I have respect for both of these artists, but I'm not feeling the collab at all. I prefer my Rye Rye with some attitude (ie: Bang, Shake It To The Ground)... Though whoever said Robyn is too quirky to have mainstream success must have forgotten that she was *huge* in 1997 when she debuted her mega-mainstream single "Show Me Love."

Posted by: Paul | Jun 16, 2011 7:28:04 PM

11. Oh, Rye Rye isn't anything close to "cookie cutter." Glad that Paul name-checked her track Bang as a much better example of who she is as an artist.

Though this collaboration with Robyn is pretty low-key, I still quite like it.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Jun 16, 2011 11:36:03 PM