News | Syria

BigGayDeal.com

BBC Interviews Girl Whose Photo Was Used in Abducted Lesbian Syrian Blogger Story: Video

Damascus

As the mystery behind the new story of the allegedly abducted lesbian Syrian blogger "Gay Girl in Damascus" deepens, the BBC speaks with Jelena Lecic of London. Lecic's face has been splashed across the news because it was her photo that was used as the face of Amina Abdallah Araf al Omari, the allegedly abducted blogger.

Lecic discusses the use of her photo, and how the story has changed her life.

Mahmoud Hamad, a Syrian human rights activist, tells the BBC that he can't say that Abdallah actually exists, discusses why a political cyber-activist might choose a fake photo to illustrate a blog.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
Skeptics Question Story of Kidnapped Syrian Lesbian Blogger [tr]
]Lesbian Blogger Forcibly Seized in Damascus [tr]

Comments

1. Upsetting. If it's a real person who was kidnapped (and was hiding behind this photo of a different person) it's still scary. If it's all a fake then this poor other woman's photo has now been splashed all over the world.
    Eesh.
    Still, is it wrong for me to think Mahmoud Hamad is cute?

Posted by: rob | Jun 9, 2011 12:30:36 PM

2. Whoever decided to use Jelena's face photos for " Amina Abdallah" was completely reckless about putting someone else's life in any sort of danger, even if the pictures were from someone in a different country. Still, if "Amina" truly exists I hope she's OK and released soon.
    Yes, Mahmoud is really cute.

Posted by: Felix | Jun 9, 2011 1:08:02 PM

3. Apparently, some gay men (like many straight men) will NEVER stop cruising, rubbernecking, and hypersexualizing at inappropriate times. (And yes: this news items is an inappropriate time despite what you may say.)

There is a vicious, apparently false stereotype that gay men are predatory and hypersexual, always ready to hit on some guy, always fiending for sex, rubbernecking, rank guys based on superficial looks, etc.

I know that this is a horrible stereotype and a lie...

It seems that some gay men can be as predatory and/or inappropriately sexual as straight men who will hit on you or rubber neck at funerals (!) or within the most serious and irrelevant contexts.

If you don't want to be the brunt of these discriminatory stereotypes, then stop acting like that and show some tact and discretion.

Posted by: brenda | Jun 9, 2011 1:19:46 PM

4. Newsflash, Brenda: Almost all stereotypes have an element of recognizable truth when generalizing about the group, yet fail miserably when applied to any single member of that group.

In the current instance, please note that people watching this interview are doing so in the comfort of their own lives, and sometimes that removal mixes up what's appropriate for the interview subject and what's comfortable at your own keyboard.

Posted by: Zlick | Jun 9, 2011 1:40:56 PM

5. Brenda dear, it is part of the make-up of the male of the species to always be thinking of potential physical mates, it's just nature. Now proper nuturing can instill in the male of the species a proper sense of decorum and an appropriate time to express those thoughts and when not to express those thoughts, but those thoughts will always be there.

Posted by: jerry | Jun 9, 2011 1:46:04 PM

6. But, sometimes, when I hear comments like Rob and Felix in this thread--clearly inappropriate comments at inappropriate times--I begin to think that the stereotype may be based just a bit on fact.

Who says the content or timing of their comments was inappropriate? Judge Brenda?

Congratulations, Brenda, you've learned something about men (gay and straight).

But to describe us as "predatory" just because we tend to think about sex more often or talk about it more openly than you would prefer is just stupid. They said they thought Mahmoud Hamad is cute, not that they wanted to rape him.

Posted by: homoDM | Jun 9, 2011 2:05:15 PM

7. I must say, I always thought the girl in the picture was too pretty to be a lesbian.

Posted by: Shane | Jun 9, 2011 2:18:00 PM

8. This story changed my life too..... Amina and her lies was the direct cause of Melanie Nathan giving up her interest in LezGetReal; I realized this was BS and my Partners in LGR stood behind Amina calling me a bigot! I left in time with my integrity in tact - but a huge loss to me on many levels! I have more to the story and I am holding onto it.

One loses the legitimacy of revolutionary and every word written in the name of such, when one cannot stand behind "the face" presented as if OUT and PROUD. That was part of the so called bravery - now a mere fiction whether Amina and/or her antics and ravings are real or not! I stand behind what I write! Melanie Nathan, nathan@privatecourts.com www.oblogdeeoblogda.com

Posted by: Melanie Nathan | Jun 9, 2011 3:14:38 PM

9. Brenda, you know what´s even more inappropriate in a situation like this? Creating division.
    Lets all hope for the safe and prompt release of "Amina", whoever she is.

Posted by: Felix | Jun 9, 2011 4:55:41 PM

10. It's a very sympathetic face which is the reason it was used- I do feel sorry for the woman who has nothing to do with this blog. (Brenda gay men are still MEN which means yeah we are always interested in sex)

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 9, 2011 5:58:02 PM