GLAAD | News | Tracy Morgan

Tracy Morgan Travels to Nashville to Apologize for Anti-Gay Stand-Up Rant: VIDEO

Nashville_morgan

Tracy Morgan appeared in Nashville today with GLAAD Senior Director of Programs Herndon Graddick and Kevin Rogers, the audience member who originally wrote about Morgan's offensive stand-up routine on Facebook.

Said Morgan, after remarks from Rogers:

"I apologize to Kevin and people that were at the show. I want to apologize to my friends, and my family and my fans and everyone in every community who were offended with this. I didn't know. I didn't mean it. That's how I feel about it. I don’t have a hateful bone in my body. I don’t believe that anyone should be bullied or just made to feel bad about who they are. I totally feel that, in my heart, I don’t care who you love, same-sex or not, as long as you have the ability to love..."

Said Graddick, in a statement from GLAAD: "Tracy’s remarks today have the power to reach millions with a message that gay and transgender youth should be met with support from families --not rejection or violence. In a state like Tennessee where anti-gay laws continue to be passed, it’s now more important than ever for allies like Tracy to speak out and let Tennesseans know that homophobia has no place on or off the stage."

Watch a clip of the press conference, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. And yet, he's still a homophobic ass.

His days are over, move along.

Posted by: Liam | Jun 21, 2011 2:29:17 PM

2. Allies like Tracy??? Allies wouldn't have said such hateful things in the first place. Tracy Morgan is just trying to save his hateful ass. Apologies after the fact are a dime a dozen. How dare he says "I didnt know." Didn;t know what? That saying you would stab your son if he was gay wouldn't be taken as homophobic?? The man is not stupid. He was invited to the Nashvillle Pride Festivasl to apologize to the very community he lashed out at and obviously refused the invitation. Why?? if he was coming to nashvillle to "make it right" anyway, why not do so n a manner that would reach thousands in the GLBT community at once. Actions speak louder than words.

Posted by: Gary | Jun 21, 2011 2:32:47 PM

3. Gary, you said: "why not do so n a manner that would reach thousands in the GLBT community at once?"

That's exactly what he did? He got a positive message out into the mainstream press that tens of thousands of people will see. They took a bad situation and turned it into an opportunity to spread a good message to the masses.

Posted by: Reader | Jun 21, 2011 2:36:36 PM

4. none of this matters... I almost despise him more for trying to backpedal in this stunt, which was clearly cooked up by his management team.

Posted by: G | Jun 21, 2011 2:36:38 PM

5. Wow. So no matter what, people can not regret their actions and attempt to make amends for those actions because they are horrible, awful people who did the action in the first place. You all sound like Christians.

Posted by: yunin | Jun 21, 2011 2:38:31 PM

6. Reader: His apology was a public relations stunt, thus making it insincere at best. He did it in a news conference so he could look good to his fans, not to reach out the the community. He could have easily made an apearance at the Festival, before or after the Festival, if he really wanted to reach out to those he offended. He simply offered a canned speech in hopes of covering his ass.

Posted by: Gary | Jun 21, 2011 2:44:22 PM

7. Ok i actually feel like the guy has done enough. Shouldnt Glaad be putting a little effort into watching NY1 right ? The horrendously unchallenged lies that are being put out on a major New York news network are doing so much harm right now...Maggie Gallagher is getting blanket coverage..weak journalism allowing her to lie through her teeth. Even CNN are useless, allowing NOM and the likes and allowing rightwing nutters just rant and rave and perpetrate all the vile lies that the general public start to believe.

Posted by: paul | Jun 21, 2011 2:44:44 PM

8. The cynicism on here is not only sad, it is supremely arrogant.

Posted by: Vlad | Jun 21, 2011 2:47:01 PM

9. I would rather have this than nothing. And, if it will stop another comic from spouting over the top hateful speech against the LGBT community, everyone wins...

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jun 21, 2011 2:47:12 PM

10. I don't understand this apology.To say "I didn't know" is insulting.
    I would accept "i didn't know" from a 12 year old. To say I didn't know is an excuse, when you're apologizing you accept your stupidity. He's a coward and even more pathetic.

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 21, 2011 2:47:33 PM

11. YOU GUYS ARE SO FULL OF CRAP! IF HERE SOME SKINNY...NERDY...BLOND DUDE....YOU WOULD GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR TRYING TO IMPROVE HIMSELF AND CHANGE HIS WAYS! YOU PLAY BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE...YOU DEMONIZE BLACKMEN...YET WHEN YOU NEED SOMETHING...YOU --RUN-- TO BLACKMEN AND TRY AND BE FRIENDS...I SEE WHY PEOPLE ARE TIRING OF YOU...

Posted by: Shannon | Jun 21, 2011 2:50:34 PM

12. GLAAD, an organization which has lost a significant number of supporters recently and whored itself out to AT&T in violation of the greater good, hosted Tracy Morgan for a "please this is the first time this routine has gotten national attention and I still want to work" press engagement. FTFY.

Posted by: Sean | Jun 21, 2011 2:52:47 PM

13. While you guys sit around spewing venom and cynicism in blog comments, Morgan generated positive press for the community -- probably more of a contribution to the lgbt public good than what most gays do in their entire lives.

And for those who doubt his sincerity, go back a couple days and read about him meeting trans and gay youth at the Ali Forney center. That's the sort of meeting that changes hearts and minds.

Posted by: Reader | Jun 21, 2011 2:58:46 PM

14. I appreciate his apology and his efforts - regardless of the negative feedback. What he said was certainly hate speech but he is taking ownership for his actions and working harder than any other person I've seen to correct what was said. He has responded quickly and clearly to his fans and "haters" despite his less than articulate speech.
    I hope GLADD continues to focus just as much energy and attention on everyone (regardless of race and gender or political status) who speaks like this. But I doubt they'll get nearly as much cooperation and commitment as Tracy Morgan has shown.

Posted by: Okanos | Jun 21, 2011 3:03:25 PM

15. Right Gary. Nashville pride sends an "invitation" on June 15th for an event on June 18th and because he doesn't go, it's "obvious" that it wasn't because of scheduling conflicts but because he "refused" the invite.

The bottom line is that Tracy Morgan will never be able to do or say anything that will be accepted as true repentance to those who have made up their mind to not forgive him. Even if he did go to the parade, someone would say "That's nothing! If he REALLY wanted to show he was sorry, he would...(fill in the blank with a never-ending list of penances)."

Personally, I feel as if he has done way more than any celebrity in the past 5 years that has been guilty of homophobic comments. As I have said before, I find it hard to believe that anyone who truly hates a particular group of people would even extend himself that far, job or no job. Maybe I'm wrong. But since I cannot read his mind, I will accept his apologies and actions as sincere and move on. And if they aren't sincere, I'm sure he will show his true colors in no time.

Posted by: RW | Jun 21, 2011 3:12:48 PM

16. Thank you RW. You post is the best one on this thread so far. I can't belive the crap I had to read before I got to yours.

Posted by: Edd | Jun 21, 2011 3:55:09 PM

17. How about an anti-bullying tour to back it up, Tracy? After all, the horse is outta the barn and ragin' all over this country. Since you helped to feed 'im, maybe you an help calm him down.

Posted by: Danny | Jun 21, 2011 4:32:46 PM

18. It's one thing to not comprehend how offensive the word "fag" is but it's another to say "I'd stab my son if he told me he was gay" the violence of it suggests a much deeper hatred for gay people. This kind of hatred doesn't just go away because you get called out. If he has truly learned anything, only time will tell. Moving on.

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 21, 2011 4:40:30 PM

19. it must be exhausting to be as cynical and hateful as some of these commenters.

I realize it's not the most pleasant thing to realize you live in a society where homophobia is so ingrained in the culture that suggesting someone kill themselves for being gay can believe as they are saying it that it really isn't that big of a thing. That to me is something much more worth getting pissed about than anything Tracy Morgan ever did/didn't do.

Overall the situation was unfortunate, but I'm pleased we've at least hit a point today where someone saying something like this has gotten lambasted in the press. There are still places in this country where saying the same things he did will get you elected sheriff. I choose to see this whole ordeal as a sign of progress. If someone not being apologetic enough is a reason to be pissy, then I think that demonstrates an ignorance of what gay life was like pre-stonewall and how far we've come in this country and compared to other countries where the government will kill you for being gay.

Posted by: MadM@ | Jun 21, 2011 5:06:54 PM

20. I accept your apology Tracy Morgan.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 21, 2011 6:39:32 PM

21. Tracy, you are no longer relevant. You just don't matter anymore.

Posted by: lewlew | Jun 21, 2011 9:49:49 PM

22. I accept his apology and moved on. Like Hollywood said, I would rather have this than nothing.

We got bigger fish to fry!

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 21, 2011 10:03:26 PM