News | Tracy Morgan

Tracy Morgan Apologizes Again, Will Meet with LGBT Youth, Appear in PSA, Go Back to Tennessee to Make Amends

Tracy Morgan has apologized to GLAAD, again:

Tracy_morgan “I know how bad bullying can hurt.  I was bullied when I was a kid.   I’m sorry for what I said.  I didn’t mean it.  I never want to use my comedy to hurt anyone.  My family knew what it was like to feel different.  My brother was disabled and I lost my father to AIDS in 1987.  My dad wasn’t gay but I also learned about homophobia then because of how people treated people who were sick with that.  Parents should support and love their kids no matter what.   Gay people deserve the same right to be happy in this country as everyone else.   Our laws should support that.”

GLAAD also reports that Morgan will meet with LGBT youth who have been hurt or left homeless by their families as well as Elke Kennedy, the founder of Sean's Last Wish in memory of Sean Kennedy, who was killed in a hate crime in South Carolina in 2007

Morgan has also appeared in GLAAD's upcoming PSA campaign “Amplify Your Voice" and is going back to Tennessee to apologize in person to audience members offended by remarks he made at his show.

Carl Siciliano, founder and exeutive Director of the Ali Forney Center, NYC's largest LGBT youth services and homeless shelter, talks about the Morgan controversy in the Huffington Post:

I have heard too many LGBT youths tell horrifying stories of violent abuse and rejection from their parents. The teenage boy from upstate New York, who, when his father learned he was gay, he beat him to a pulp, then threw him out of the house and told him that if he tried to come back, he would kill his son and bury him in the backyard. Or the boy from Florida whose father put a gun to his head and said "You are no longer my son. Leave the house now." The 17-year-old transgender child whose mother attacked him when she learned of his male identity, ripping out a piece of his scalp, and screaming homophobic abuse as her child fled. Or the 15-year-old boy who came out to his family at a picnic in rural Delaware. His father, a Christian minister, jumped on him and tried to strangle him. That evening he gathered his belongings into a few garbage bags and banished his son from his home. Or the family that drove their daughter out into the backwoods of New Jersey and tossed her from the car for being a lesbian. This is clearly not something to joke about.

On another note, a male caller to Michelangelo Signorile's radio show claimed that Morgan once made sexual advances toward him in a NYC restaurant.

Previously...
Tracy Morgan Speaks: 'I Would Love [a Gay Son] Just as Much as if He Was Straight' [tr]

Comments

1. I'm slowly beginning to re-like Tracy. Keep it up and I may be able to fully forgive.

Posted by: Joe | Jun 14, 2011 11:32:58 AM

2. I think it's great that he's apologizing and saying all the right things in light of what happened, just like all the others who apologize for hateful speech in the past, but never (?) does anyone explain just why they said the things they said. If they would explain themselves and own up to what I believe is the fact that they harbor some hate or disgust toward whatever group they've offended, I may be more apt to accept this apology sincerely. As it stands, it just sounds like one of those, "Well, I got caught, so I better make good" apologies that ultimately mean very little.

Posted by: Austin | Jun 14, 2011 11:33:55 AM

3. Word on the street is that he has a serious drinking problem. I've said "I love you" to people I hate while drunk before so maybe bad drunks do the opposite?

I don't know.

I honestly do not see how hard it is to just be nice to everyone. I don't get it. Why does the whole country have to polarize, hate, selectively hate, act like jerks, etc...

It takes a lot of energy to be angry and mean. Why? Why why why do it?

Posted by: Rin | Jun 14, 2011 11:42:52 AM

4. I'm glad he's atoning for his sins. Our culture should make it so painful to apologize for hate speech that public figures will think twice before ranting against GLBT people.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 14, 2011 11:47:14 AM

5. He's doing just about everything anybody could do to make up for this, but, yes, why do it in the first place? How was this funny? Why was it in his act?

Good for him for going the distance to rehabilitate himself and make amends but how about not being evil at all?

Posted by: justme | Jun 14, 2011 11:50:49 AM

6. It's amazing how his feelings can instantly turn on a dime isn't it?

Don't get me wrong...I'm glad he's apologized twice and we all say and do dumb, hurtful and assinine things so I don't think he should be crucified. that being said however.....to me, the sincerity of his apology will be proven by his future actions.

Posted by: Geoff | Jun 14, 2011 11:52:12 AM

7. Agreed Geoff, I'm willing for now to watch what he does instead of hating on him for what he said. Actions speak louder than words, and if he's being false we'll know soon enough.

Posted by: ant | Jun 14, 2011 11:57:25 AM

8. Siciliano's specific stories are what everyone needs to hear. Rejection is a sanitising word for the kinds of inner family and community violence he recounts in the Huffington story. If it was only a mistake the huge one that Tracy has made at least has his name on it. Every parent, minister, social leader and school kid who bullies or harms another for their sexual orientation should be named, like Tracy, in the press, hounded, humiliated and ostracised (all historically well-known tactics applied to gay people) until intolerance is branded into the social fabric. Then it has a chance to be stopped.

Posted by: Bear | Jun 14, 2011 12:02:42 PM

9. Mr. Morgan has been claiming for the last three years that homosexuality is a choice. I'm not going to be satisfied until he addresses that.

Posted by: RomanHans | Jun 14, 2011 12:03:43 PM

10. I truly believe he originally spoke *his* truth!

He's saying all of these things now just to save his career.

Many homophobes are now beginning to realize that kind of honest anti-gay rhetoric isn't going to fly anymore with mainstream society!

Posted by: The Truth | Jun 14, 2011 12:06:56 PM

11. Jesus God his father died of AIDS and he trash talks like that? What the hell is wrong with this epic tool?

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Jun 14, 2011 12:07:48 PM

12. Enough already. He was wrong. He recognized that. He apologized. He's making amends. End of story. Personally, I know that I have misspoken in life before and in doing so made a complete ass of myself. Folks were good enough to forgive me and I do the same for Mr. Morgan.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Jun 14, 2011 12:11:38 PM

13. TRULY UNBELIEVABLE.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 14, 2011 12:13:28 PM

14. Besides the guy who "tweeted" all this Morgan Mess, is there anybody else who was there to corroborate what happened? I've only seen the one guy who said he was there.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 14, 2011 12:16:42 PM

15. noteasilyoffended,

What the hell are you talking about. This is not a case where someone "misspoke". Morgan went on a hate-filled, pro-violence, anti-gay rant. Stop defending this POS.

Posted by: Marc | Jun 14, 2011 12:22:16 PM

16. If you don't remember the story of Sean Kennedy, here is a brief YouTube vid I did about him a couple years ago, which tells his story...

Posted by: CB | Jun 14, 2011 12:24:43 PM

17. We have to sometimes learn how to accept apologies. Regardless if it is Kramer or Morgan, human beings have to learn how to accept apologies.

Marc, I do understand where you are coming from. But people do make mistakes, and he has apologized numerous times.

Our enemies are those who say terrible things and refuse to apologize and correct their behavior.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Jun 14, 2011 12:31:34 PM

18. Again, our enemies are those individuals who refuse to correct their inappropriate behavior.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Jun 14, 2011 12:34:59 PM

19. Jack - did you expect anything less? He directed his own career straight down the gutter with his hate mongering and not only will he miss the attention his celebrity has given him but the money too. If he's a drunk then he'd better step forward now and admit he was inebriated and out of control - will seek assistance - and work in the future to re-build a sober career. For now, his career is over.

I'm disappointed in those gay people who say that his public atonement is sufficient for them to welcome him back in their lives. As long as we accept such false apologies we are going to be used and made fools of. Tracy Morgan's career supports a lot of people - from publicists to agents to sitcom actors and NBC itself - and you can bet those are the people who are standing behind him now writing out these "I am so sorry" statements fearful over the damage the man has done to their own livelihoods - and not so much for what he has done to the little 14-year old bullied gay kid who now has another reason to shut the door on his own life because Morgan's rant only confirms that his life as a gay person is hated and will never be equal to his non-gay friends.

Gay people have got to stop giving in and stand up for their own lives and their lack of rights. We will never be equal as long as we allow those who hate us to destroy our lives.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jun 14, 2011 12:37:24 PM

20. Well, as a BLACK and GAY PERSON, I don't have a problem with accepting apologies from people who say racist, homophobic, sexist, or other disrespectful words.

Our enemies are those individuals who refuse to correct their inappropriate actions or behavior.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Jun 14, 2011 12:48:32 PM

21. "Personally, I know that I have misspoken in life before..."

Yes, I know I hate it when I talk about stabbing gay kids to death and everybody gets all upset about it. Why is everyone so easily offended?

Every time someone posts on the Internet that nobody should get upset at the latest celebrity outrage because the posters themselves or everyone they know have also said similar horrible things, I am profoundly grateful that I don't know anyone like that at all.

Posted by: ohplease | Jun 14, 2011 12:50:29 PM

22. Yeah, this is the internet age, "Pics, or it didn't happen" is a rule of necessity. So in this story we have 1-3 accounts of a horrible and offensive show. We have corroboration from Tracy himself in the form of an apology.

This is all way too much. It's too easy for gay groups to call out any negativity as "YOU MURDERER, KIDS ARE DYING" etc.

That is not a group of people that I want to associate with. A group that uses dead children as a weapon is a bad group.

He apologized, if anyone thinks he personally is bigoted and hates gay people: No one needs to care about that person's opinion, they are obviously stupid, racist or some third thing. Seriously, over react much?

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 14, 2011 12:57:31 PM

23. Fenrox, go read the accounts of what he said. Beyond horrible. Viscerally hateful. He's saying good things now, and he should keep saying them.

Posted by: Steverino | Jun 14, 2011 1:01:23 PM

24. It is classic of those who are abused to accept apologies (ohe's so sorry - oh really means it - oh he's so sincere). It is very easy to talk the talk - I'm waiting until I see some substantive walking of the walk. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me. This goes for 30 Rock also - there needs to be some action.

Posted by: Rob | Jun 14, 2011 1:02:33 PM

25. My take is that his motivation for atonement may be dubious, but I give him credit for seeming to do all the right things.

After all the millions of ways LGBT folk have been shat on, though, my forgiving muscle is feeling a little weak. We'll see.

Posted by: Grant | Jun 14, 2011 1:12:37 PM