Canada | Gay Pride | News | Toronto

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Get Your Pride Pump

Pridepump

An over-the-top promo video is reviving an annual Gay Pride debate in Toronto.

Toronto Life is angry:

"...we can’t help but wonder how out of touch (or straight?) the person who cooked up Pride Toronto’s painful-to-watch and setting-back-the-movement promotional video was. If gay activism is on the rise, how will the community be taken seriously if the organization that fronts the city’s largest gay celebration backs these old-hat, shouldn’t-be jokes? If they were looking to shoot fish in a barrel, why didn’t the Pride committee just hire Big Gay Al?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via joe)

Comments

1. I have to agree with Toronto Life. Horrible.

Posted by: countervail | Jun 7, 2011 12:05:34 PM

2. That looks pretty representative of Pride to me. Just add an HRC volunteer begging for money and you've covered everything!

Posted by: nodnarb | Jun 7, 2011 12:11:13 PM

3. Jeez Toronto, here in LA we have Richard Simmons teaching silly classes like this three days a week. Get a sense of humor!

And sorry, but the nellies and sissy boys are part of our community too. Someone needs to buy a better vibrator up there in Canada.

Posted by: Joseph L. | Jun 7, 2011 12:16:58 PM

4. These jokes were old when James Rekers was young.

Posted by: justme | Jun 7, 2011 12:17:30 PM

5. Well I liked it and I think it was funny.
    The is a serious side of being gay, we all know that, but we also need to laugh at ourselves, on the light side, which this was.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 7, 2011 12:19:38 PM

6. There is a poll on the toronto pride website, asking if this video was offensive and the overwhelming majority think it is just fine. I mean, seriously, the entire pride weekend is about drag queens, bear floats, dykes on bikes, rainbow flags and scantily clad men everywhere. The entire thing is camp as hell. If you don't like this video, don't go to pride.

Posted by: Nathan | Jun 7, 2011 12:22:29 PM

7. Love this video! People need to lighten up!

Posted by: RF | Jun 7, 2011 12:33:25 PM

8. It's not that it's camp, it's just so bloody shallow.

The gay "scene" that dominates this event is anything but open-minded.

The engine that drives Pride is really just about abs, drugs, and banging the fresh meat that arrives from out of town.

Posted by: Paul | Jun 7, 2011 12:38:30 PM

9. I don't think that their problem is with the representation of various gay identities -- certainly, I think they're actually "for" queering Pride, if anything -- but, rather, the notion that only certain types of "bodies" are acceptable...which is really unfortunate.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 7, 2011 12:41:12 PM

10. Pride was tacky and tasteless way before this came along. It's not the ad that sets us back. I'm all for letting glittery drag queens and methed out twinks fly their freak flag high, but I don't think the typical gay pride celebration is going to advance our rights any faster than an overpriced HRC dinner. It's really not a big deal. On one side we have the over-the-top, gym-rat dancing queens, and on the other we have the assimilated, self-hating, suburbanite closet cases. Somewhere in the middle, you can find the majority. Not all that different from our hetero counterparts.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 7, 2011 12:45:56 PM

11. I actually laughed out loud a few times. There's nothing wrong with a bit of self-mockery.

Posted by: Joseph | Jun 7, 2011 12:46:21 PM

12. can any one say satire?

Posted by: brad | Jun 7, 2011 12:46:56 PM

13. tacky.. and.... kinda representative of a good chunk of the community. power gays in suits and ties make boring tv.

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | Jun 7, 2011 12:55:39 PM

14. Ummm... my biggest issue about this is that it wasn't funny.

Posted by: pharmerandy | Jun 7, 2011 1:00:51 PM

15. Pride used to be about showing the world that we existed, that we mattered, and that we demanded a seat at the table. By the early 90s, "pride" started circling the sewer with glittered, drugged out nellies and sex-a-thons that spread HIV (and assorted STDs). So scurry about, flaming queens. Enjoy your parties, glam videos, and flu-like symptoms 10 to 14 days later. The rest of us will shake our heads and hope people don't watch. We'll figure out how to make sure we get marriage equality and ENDA *despite* you and your kind.

Posted by: DC | Jun 7, 2011 1:10:51 PM

16. Well THEY can do whatever they want...after All - THEY HAVE EQUALITY already....they aren';t trying to FIT IN to get Rights, unlike this hateful,bigoted country...is it stereotypical,kinda..but THEY have NOTHING TO LOSE.

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Jun 7, 2011 1:11:31 PM

17. I thought it was embarrassingly archaic so I gave it a more age-appropriate soundtrack ;)

Posted by: Scott Dagostino | Jun 7, 2011 1:25:19 PM

18. I agree that it's unfortunate that it encourages vanity and essentially says "you must work out and have a flawless body" to fit in to our club... and note they are all in their 20s. I guess if you are over 30, you might as well not bother showing up.

Also, the comment "I don't understand lesbians" encourages division within the community... not impressed. I can laugh at myself and our community, but this just wasn't that funny.

Posted by: graphicjack | Jun 7, 2011 1:28:03 PM

19. Sparkle Crunches for the win!

Posted by: Moo | Jun 7, 2011 1:32:45 PM

20. Pride in LA has always been an occasion to buy cheap plastic rainbow jewelry, get drunk and high in the hot sun and have sex in a porta-potty.

That said it is the one time every year that a very diverse community comes together in one place and celebrate our uniqueness

The high and low for the year!

Posted by: David B. 2 | Jun 7, 2011 1:35:00 PM

21. The video is pretty shallow, even for gay standards.

Posted by: Max | Jun 7, 2011 1:41:49 PM

22. Isn't two-thousand X, like, 2010? Duh.

Posted by: DonDon | Jun 7, 2011 1:42:47 PM

23. I think might (heavy emphasis on that word) have been funny if I knew that it would only be watched exclusively by the gay community. In that context, the worst case scenario is that people laugh politely and move on. However, nothing exists in a vacuum anymore, and I think this was largely embarrassing, especially considering it will be viewed by those outside of the community, those who already harbor negativity and ill-will toward us.

Posted by: Austin | Jun 7, 2011 1:55:45 PM

24. the world has far bigger problems than bangin booty butt clenches. How about having a sense of humor instead of being negative nancys?

Posted by: Del | Jun 7, 2011 1:57:37 PM

25. It seems to me like an accurate send up of what gay pride events have become. In that respect I think it is pretty effective satire and while it isn't laugh out loud funny it is kind of funny.

Posted by: bicurious | Jun 7, 2011 2:00:03 PM