Baseball | Bullying | News | San Francisco | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: San Francisco Giants Release 'It Gets Better' Video

Zito

The San Francisco Giants today released their "It Gets Better" video, becoming the first professional sports organization to show their support for the campaign and take a stand against bullying.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Giants' participation followed an online petition initiated by gay activist Sean Chapin which gathered more than 6,000 signatures. Watch Chapin's proposal to the Giants here.

Comments

1. Though I prefer it when these videos present testimonial from people who have actually left the closet, this is a great gesture.

Posted by: Eric | Jun 1, 2011 2:25:33 PM

2. I'm very happy they did this, but I really wish Brian Wilson could have been in it. I think he's a lot of people's favorite!

Posted by: GG | Jun 1, 2011 2:26:08 PM

3. GO GIANTS!!!!

Posted by: Tom | Jun 1, 2011 2:45:16 PM

4. half assed...

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 1, 2011 2:53:23 PM

5. well, it comes from hearts in the Right Place, at least. It's a big gesture and significant in its origins; I'd say the simple fact of it makes a difference.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jun 1, 2011 3:23:56 PM

6. @ KYLE OZIER - -exactly! "I'd say the simple fact of it makes a difference."

When I was growing up a professional athlete would rather pour acid on his balls than say anything nice about us f*ggots, never mind use the polite term "LGBT teens".

So yeah, it does get better. THANKS GIANTS.

Posted by: Strepsi | Jun 1, 2011 3:28:24 PM

7. Bummer that Wilson, Bumgarner, or Lincecum wasn't in this. But def appreciate the team members that do lend their support here! Go Giants!

Posted by: chuy | Jun 1, 2011 4:08:42 PM

8. No Brian Wilson? Really? I thought he would be the first to step up. I'm grateful to those who participated but I'm very disappointed that Brain Wilson, the face of the Giants, didn't participate.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 1, 2011 4:20:12 PM

9. I am officially old because this made me cry. It's futile, I know, but I can't help wondering how different life might be if I'd seen and heard such supportive words when I was growing up in the 70s.

Posted by: Vlad | Jun 1, 2011 4:28:10 PM

10. hmmm, i don’t even think I heard the word 'gay'. Yes, bullying affects most teenagers but this campaign is specifically about helping gay, lesbian, transgendered and non-gender conforming teens. It would be more powerful if it was less generic. I am not sure an uncertain, questioning teen would feel embraced by this.

Posted by: kevin | Jun 1, 2011 4:29:18 PM

11. Listen again Kevin. Matt Cain says LGBT teens.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 1, 2011 4:49:05 PM

12. i heard LGBT - that is not the same as 'gay'.
    I stand by my post - the message is too generic and we are being thankful for crumbs.

Having the stanley cup in the pride parade is more significant (go blackhawks)

Posted by: kevin | Jun 1, 2011 5:01:36 PM

13. FENROX - that's a little hostile.

As the first pro sports team to support the It Gets Better Project, you have to give them credit for doing so.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 1, 2011 7:21:22 PM

14. Apparently some of you aren't aware that Brian Wilson is a very conservative Christian, his eccentricities notwithstanding.

I would have loved to see Lincecum in it. Or anything.

But as well intentioned as these spots are---and I sincerely appreciate the Giants doing this---it seems like they kind of ran their course a few months ago.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 1, 2011 10:23:16 PM

15. This is great. Progress happens one baby step at a time. We had this small straw on to the homophobia camel's back.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 1, 2011 11:56:25 PM

16. That's awesome. That would have meant the world to me when I was a gay teen growing up in the deep South in the 70s. And yes, it would have made a huge difference. Go Giants!

Posted by: kimmer | Jun 2, 2011 7:50:34 AM

17. @ Kevin; you're right, they don't say gay. By saying LGBT they're saying, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender. That's more inclusive than your preference of simply "gay." You're nitpicking and it makes you sound ridiculous.

Posted by: Anthony | Jun 3, 2011 7:15:47 PM

18. Sorry but saying LGBT is not nearly as powerful as actually using any of the full words in that Acronym

Posted by: Den | Jun 3, 2011 7:21:16 PM