Comments

1. walter says

these are the bravest to put themselves out there for all to see and know that dadt is still on the books . they deserve all our support for their breve stance forcing the government to sh=t or get off the pot. be prepared to write leetters sign petitions to get these people to hold their jobs the right will complain that this is just gays trying to force policy

2. Brad says

Wow. Just WOW! I am at a loss to describe the pride this gives me. No matter your politics, this is truly heartening. If it were up to me, they would ALL get medals of honor!

3. Michael@LeonardMatlovich.com says

While applauding the idea, is there no respect for our Community’s history? For contrary to the laim in the ABC News link by the contingent’s organizer, this is NOT the first time active duty gay service members participated in a Pride parade. That–as documented in Randy Shilt’s landmark book on the ban, “Conduct Unbecoming–was THIRTY-SIX YEARS AGO when Army PV2 Debbie Watson and her partner Army PFC Barbara Randolph, Air Force SGT Skip Keith, and Air Force TSGT Leonard Matlovich, along with a group of gay veterans, participated in the 1975 New York Pride Parade. Photos at” http://tinyurl.com/66yoeou and http://tinyurl.com/6ywq9p6

Given indifference today to any part of our Community’s history not spoon fed to them, one isn’t surprised someone as young as the former sailor who put it together or even the presumably older organizers of SD Pride were unaware of that, but were they in a coma two years ago when it was widely publicized—particularly in California—that then still-serving Army National Guard LT. Dan Choi was one of the grand marshals of San Francisco’s Pride Parade? In addition, gay and lesbian veterans have been appearing as such in Pride events for at least a quarter century.

Reckless “firstitis” has really gotten out of hand in our Community. Harvey Milk–first out gay elected official. Nope. California’s John Perez–first out leader of a state legislature. Nope. Now this, and, ironically, after New York Pride invited Dan to appear in their 2010 parade, they claimed that was the first time anywhere, too, totally ignorant of/ignoring his appearance in SF the year before I noted above.

Also, while I encourage every gay or lesbian in the military to come out now, flooding the media with faces of what the ban is actually about in such numbers the Pentagon couldn’t process them all, the organizer is giving bad advice to those considering it. He claims that participating as an out gay person, as long as it’s not in uniform, is not in violation of any military rule. That’s simply not true. It’s a violation of DADT, would be considered “telling,” and make one subject to possible discharge if the court once again reinstates the process.

4. says

I was serving actively in the US Air Force in Washington, D.C. and marched in the “March on Washington for Lesbian, Gay and Bi Equal Rights and Liberation” in 1993.

I saw many others in full or partial uniform, and like the woman interviewed, it was one of the proudest moments of my life. I really thought that year Clinton would remove the ban. Instead we got DADA (which I forgive him for) and DOMA (which I don’t).

5. TommyOC says

Where did the military vehicle come from? Surely it couldn’t have come from an active-duty encampment, could it? I don’t think they rent those things out… and they certainly couldn’t send it to participate in a gay parade voluntarily, could they?

To stop a controversy, I hope it’s privately-owned surplus… or do I?

6. says

National Guard member Nichole Herrera, 31, said she didn’t think twice about marching, even though the policy is back on the books. She said she was “choked up” several times as she walked down a main thoroughfare in San Diego, a major Navy port.