George Lopez | Hillary Clinton | News | Tim Gunn

Tim Gunn Says Hillary Clinton's Pantsuits Mean She's 'Confused About Her Gender': VIDEO

Gunn

At an appearance on Lopez Tonight, Tim Gunn made fun of Hillary Clinton's pantsuits and suggested that she wear longer ones to hide her "cankles".

Lamented Gunn: "Why must she dress that way? I think she's confused about her gender. All these big baggy menswear tailored pants."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Gunn made similar comments in 2008, dubbing Clinton's fashion-sense "gender-confused".

Comments

1. Totally unnecessary.

Posted by: mb | Jul 28, 2011 10:05:38 AM

2. I have to say, F him. Comments like that are what makes people think all gays are bitchy. So if she has awful legs, what exactly is she supposed to wear? And traveling around the world pretty much every day, maybe she wants to be comfortable.

The more I think about this comment coming from a gay man, the more revolting I find it.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 28, 2011 10:10:31 AM

3. Is anyone else as sick of Tim Gun as I am? He seems to have the same problem as every other reality star. They build popularity over a few seasons and begin to get so full of themselves. I don't care what he thinks of Taylor Momson's attitude or Anna Wintour's antics. He used to be so nice and classy. Now he often comes off as an old venomous queen

Posted by: cdubois | Jul 28, 2011 10:10:57 AM

4. For a gay guy, Tim is being very close-minded about clothes and gender. And the cankles conversation was totally unnecessary. I can't stand either of these vapid idiots.

Love you Hillary!!

Posted by: C. James | Jul 28, 2011 10:13:06 AM

5. So, he berates Hill not for her huge accomplishments, but for a physical quality??

Isn't this clown just a big gay bully?

NEXT!

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Jul 28, 2011 10:14:30 AM

6. Yeah, the appropriate business dress for a powerful women is a short skirt. Remember when Hilary wore a blouse that showed her cleavage and the media went nuts over it? Tim is sadly just propagating the double standards that many women have to deal with. "Be professional, but still look like something men would want to f*ck"

Posted by: QJersey | Jul 28, 2011 10:15:47 AM

7. Geez... look who's talking about being confused about their gender!

Posted by: Jim | Jul 28, 2011 10:16:37 AM

8. I'll admit, I still like the guy but, he needs to know when to keep his mouth shut.

It's comments like these that reinforce gender stereotypes and hetero-normality. The last you want thing is for someone gender-questioning, to see this, and further confuse or anger them.

I don't think he was trying to come across as insensitive but, he even said it wasn't flattering; he could have left it at that.

Posted by: Vidur | Jul 28, 2011 10:22:44 AM

9. Tim Gunn needs to stop passing Judgement..

Posted by: cheekiey | Jul 28, 2011 10:27:48 AM

10. Some people embrace a high sense of style as a priority and they are there as a model to those of us who are really busy doing a bunch of other things. It's important to have people working out style and fashion and offering pointers to people who don't go there naturally. But it's best if these people lead by example and not jeer someone for not having a clue or being a bit more occupied with being SECRETARY OF STATE. And don't give me this crap of "she's in the public eye so she asked for it" -- that's a Joan Rivers red carpet mentality that's just getting old. Can't anyone catch a break???

Posted by: David | Jul 28, 2011 10:31:53 AM

11. Never heard of him, but I do know of Hillary's great accomplishments.

Posted by: Fireblazes | Jul 28, 2011 10:33:19 AM

12. If anyone wants to talk about venomous queens on this site.You might want to use a mirror when doing it.*rolls eyes*

Posted by: Rocky | Jul 28, 2011 10:36:58 AM

13. Seriously - who is this guy? I've never heard of him.

Posted by: Butch | Jul 28, 2011 10:38:53 AM

14. I saw a reference to twitter below the article on Gunn, and I thought it described him perfectly--Twit.

Posted by: candideinnc | Jul 28, 2011 10:46:08 AM

15. Again, "Tis better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

What a pretentious boob. Get over yourself.

Posted by: mytwocents | Jul 28, 2011 10:49:17 AM

16. I think that pretentious, reality show windbag is confused about his relevance. Kudos to Hillary for service to our country and outspoken support to the GLBT community.

Posted by: Mitch | Jul 28, 2011 10:52:14 AM

17. Great. This went up on Politico. Now the public is going to think that we put our outfits together from several U.K. mail-order catalogs and don't know that spread collars make us look jowly.

Posted by: Russell | Jul 28, 2011 10:56:40 AM

18. Whatever, %@$# him. So, women aren't supposed to wear pants, eh? Ridiculous. As a gay man, he should know better.

She's a politician, who has been harshly and unfairly criticized for everything she wears since the day Republicans discovered her. Why? Just because she's female, and dared to enter a male-dominated field. A gay man, in fashion, who cannot understand the inherent sexism in that, and instead uses his fashion powers to encourage the same type of tripe, doesn't get my sympathy.

I like the way Secretary of State Clinton dresses. When she's abroad or at a celebration, she wears awesomely multicultural and colorful garments...when she's in the US or on a more 'get down to business' mission, her style says 'I'm not here as a brainless decoration, I'm here to do my damn job' : and THIS is the message our young should be sent when they see a woman in power. NOT "if I am young, shamelessly unintelligent, and I dress hot, I can be vice-president!". As the country is still about 90% run by heterosexual white men, I think it's important the next generation of (hopefully slightly more female) leaders focus on their abilities, instead of just living up to impossible fashion standards dictated by men.

Posted by: HOCKEYJOCK | Jul 28, 2011 10:58:24 AM

19. my2cents nailed it with that great quote.

Posted by: ant | Jul 28, 2011 11:20:50 AM

20. How unfortunate that Tim Gunn had to go there. I always liked him, but now I see he's just another toxic, bitchy queen.

Yes, Tim, she is Secretary of State, a former Senator, and a former First Lady. And what are you? A shallow queen who makes his living by....well, doing whatever in the hell it is that you are supposed to be famous for.

Hillary Clinton has accomplished more than Tim Gunn will ever dream of doing in his pathetic, vapid life.

Posted by: Frank | Jul 28, 2011 11:21:51 AM

21. Tim Gunn can't be that stupid, can he?

Posted by: Shane | Jul 28, 2011 11:35:03 AM

22. Um, doesn't the new season of "Project Runway" start in the next couple of weeks? Fame whoring for a little publicity perhaps? "Maybe just a little true"?

Posted by: RONTEX | Jul 28, 2011 11:37:00 AM

23. i love tim gunn, he's hilarious. he's being flippant here-- he's a nice guy and everyone knows it.

is there anyone more qualified to comment on pantsuits?

Posted by: flucht17 | Jul 28, 2011 12:05:34 PM

24. He didn't say she couldn't wear pants.
    He's commenting on the cut of them. They are indeed unflattering.

There are more important things he could be talking about, but his entire career is built on how people look. He doesn't have a reason to comment on her political record.

I think some of you get annoyed because A)Other people got annoyed and you need to be on the popular side of opinion and B)You look for anything to be annoyed about.

This is really not awful at all and totally within the realm of expectation from anyone whose primary association is with fashion.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | Jul 28, 2011 12:08:47 PM

25. Same Silly Savage shtick on Conan during the 2008 primaries. WHAT? Is he afraid she's gonna run again?

Posted by: Michael | Jul 28, 2011 12:10:34 PM