Film | News | Steven Spielberg | Tintin

BigGayDeal.com

'The Adventures of Tintin' Full Trailer: WATCH

Tintin

A full trailer for Steven Spielberg's The Adventures of Tintin has been released.

Said Spielberg to Empire last November of the CGI motion capture adaptation of the comic created by Belgian artist Hergé: "The first part of the film, which is the most mysterious part, certainly owes much to not only film noir but the whole German Brechtian theatre — some of our night scenes and our action scenes are very contrasty. But at the same time the movie is a hell of an adventure."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
Tintin outed by British Columnist [tr]

Comments

1. Not bad... A live character movie would've been cool. Is Spielberg expecting a new franchise?

Posted by: Simon | Jul 11, 2011 11:35:33 AM

2. Looks just slightly less creepy than The Polar Express.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 11, 2011 11:42:43 AM

3. Bringing wax figures to "life".

Pass.

Posted by: Protogenes | Jul 11, 2011 11:58:16 AM

4. Is Steven Spielberg tired of peddling worthy entertainment and trying to sell himself as an auteur now (or is he trying to impress Empire magazine)? Brechtian theatre is most conspicuous for its Verfremdungseffekt, or distancing effect, whereby the audience is made aware that what they are viewing is a staged performance, thus preventing them from passively identifying with the characters in order to encourage a more intellectual and critical response. This seems an unlikely aim for a big-budget CGI film ("Let's make the characters look as fake as possible to really alienate the audience!") and besides, I don't remember too many contrasty night scenes or action scenes in 'Mother Courage and her Children'...

I'll still go and see it though, it looks entertaining enough - I loved Tintin as a kid, especially the Unicorn/Red Rackham books, and as a patriotic Kiwi I'm practically obliged to see anything Sir Peter's got his fingers in...

Posted by: johnnzboy | Jul 11, 2011 12:00:21 PM

5. Yeah. I'm not buying the Brecht influence. I think he's referencing Expressionist cinema, which would be a stretch, but at least the high contrast ("contrasty") night scenes line makes sense.

In any case, do your research before you start claiming "Brechtian."

Posted by: Mona | Jul 11, 2011 12:18:31 PM

6. The Uncanny Valley looks deeper than ever.

-S

Posted by: Sean | Jul 11, 2011 12:34:50 PM

7. CGI Humans are unwatchable in my opinion.

Posted by: Craig | Jul 11, 2011 12:51:16 PM

8. You want Brecht?

HERE'S Brecht!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 11, 2011 12:51:43 PM

9. Jesus Christ, I'm exhausted.

Posted by: djork | Jul 11, 2011 1:02:03 PM

10. Ugh. Umm not interested at ALL. It looks dull and creepy to me. And not creepy in a good way. Plus it has that fake dog noise in it that dogs NEVER make.

Posted by: AJ | Jul 11, 2011 1:18:54 PM

11. Ugh. What a disaster. Someone tell the pretentious auteur manque that he is doing Hergé, not Brecht. I'll just stay home and watch the tv adaptations from the 1990s, which preserved the beautiful, clear lines of the original panels or the French films from the 1960s which had live actors (what an innovation). The actor playing Tintin looks so much like Hergé's concept that he seems like a special effect himself.

Posted by: MSegers | Jul 11, 2011 3:17:40 PM

12. Strangely lifeless. The dog reminds me too much of Grommit.

Posted by: anon | Jul 11, 2011 4:53:23 PM

13. Thanks Gregoire! Polar Express creeps me senseless. I can't stand the non-moving faces. Come back to the five and dime, Nicole Kidman, Nicole Kidman.

Posted by: Brion | Jul 11, 2011 5:01:50 PM

14. I don't see the point for the use of that ghastly GGI animation in which humans looks like expressionless robots. Spielberg should have done this in live action.

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 11, 2011 6:14:50 PM

15. Another failed attempt to go past the Uncanny Valley. Even so I see progress, not much but progress nevertheless. Actors have their jobs secured for a long time ahead though.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Jul 11, 2011 6:32:55 PM

16. Agree with the above - so sad this movie was made using the cgi human method - I find it oddly disturbing - unreal - plastic. I couldn't watch the entire trailer. Only thing watchable was the dog.

Posted by: Tommyz | Jul 12, 2011 2:50:18 AM

17. I. Just. Can't.

Posted by: J.D. | Jul 12, 2011 3:40:40 AM

18. I hated the live version it was corny and weird.
    I loved the animated cartoon series they did in the 90's, they were true to the books.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new technology used in this film... it's not just CGI... and they're not meant to be CGI humans, they're a cartoon character so they're going to be just as expressionable facially as they are drawn on paper.

As for all the comments regarding Spielberg selling out or expecting a franchise etc, it's not just him making these films. the big three are signed on to do one of the films each (there are 3 planned) Spielberg has done this one, Peter Jackson will direct one and George Lucas will be doing the other one.

One thing for sure, the books are the best! and these films will introduce a whole new generation into the awesomeness that is Tintin. :D

Posted by: L.J | Jul 12, 2011 6:32:57 AM

19. I had and loved all the books, but I'll give this a miss.

Posted by: matti | Jul 12, 2011 7:30:43 AM

20. I hate CGI captures almost as much as I hate 3D...

Posted by: Bard | Jul 12, 2011 12:22:17 PM

21. Honestly, does this offer any real advantages over a good live action adaption? I won't say the trailer looks terrible, but I don't think this animation does justice to the characters -- well, I hope not, because it looks pretty ugly. I say if you want to do a cartoon, do a cartoon. If you want to do something more realistic, do live action. Any of the following three would have been better options IMO: hand-drawn, computer animated (a la Pixar) or live action.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 12, 2011 5:10:44 PM

22. If Spielberg wanted to preserve the iconic imagery from the books he should have done classic hand drawn animation.

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 12, 2011 9:24:40 PM