Cenk Uygur | News

BigGayDeal.com

Cenk Uygur Pulls Back Curtain on MSNBC in Video Explaining His Departure: VIDEO

Uygur

In a 12-minute-video, Cenk Uygur explains why he turned down a new, larger contract at MSNBC.

Said Uygur: "I stopped listening to their advice in April. Why?...I got pulled in, and they told me, it was actually one specific person, the head of MSNBC...I was just in Washington, and people in Washington tell me that they're concerned about your tone..."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is Comcast's influence on the network. They want to launch their own right wing network, called right. Very sad there will one less progressive voice

Posted by: George | Jul 21, 2011 9:43:37 AM

2. Who owns Comcast? Let's get their names and contact numbers. Send them emails. Tell them we will boycott anything to do with Comcast.

Posted by: jason | Jul 21, 2011 9:51:39 AM

3. Watch out, Rachel. You're next.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 21, 2011 10:15:05 AM

4. I don't care for Cenk Uygur and I don't care for his explanation. He just comes off like a sore loser who doesn't like that the network didn't care for his style. I personally don't care for his style. He seems arrogant, unkempt, and smug. There are plenty of extremely hard-hitting commentators on MSNBC who do a much more eloquent job than he did exposing truths about Washington and challening the status quo. I'm looking at you Lawrence McDonald and Rachel Maddow. Something about his story doesn't add up....

Posted by: Alex | Jul 21, 2011 10:24:05 AM

5. It's Lawrence O'Donnell, Jeff. Glad to see you're such a loyal viewer.

Posted by: Marq | Jul 21, 2011 10:41:49 AM

6. @Alex, and how exactly do you think you come off?

If you guessed like a right-wing Internet shill, you win.

Don't spend your paycheck all in one place.

Posted by: ohplease | Jul 21, 2011 10:58:33 AM

7. Entitled to your opinion Alex but I didn't see that at all. I saw an honest level headed explanation of why he wont be on MSNBC and what he encountered goes on behind the scenes.

Posted by: another guy named Jeff | Jul 21, 2011 11:20:23 AM

8. Good riddance.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Jul 21, 2011 12:04:12 PM

9. This sounds like a tv network--bring someone on who's popular on the internet because of his confrontational style and then tell him not to be so confrontational. Ah--the media.

Posted by: db | Jul 21, 2011 12:06:54 PM

10. Cenk should be over with Keith Olberman. Get more solidarity over on Gore's channel.

Posted by: Gregory | Jul 21, 2011 12:16:21 PM

11. MSNBC is as much a part of the establishment media as CNN. Cenk you belong in a medium where you don't have to tailor your opinions according to what washington wants to be on the air. Good luck, you're better of being off corporate/state run media.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Jul 21, 2011 1:02:38 PM

12. Agree with George and Jason! When a news corporation like MSNBC is afraid to question our government, and it's decisions that effect the Americam people, it has lost all credibility. I fear that MSNBC is slowly becoming Faux News. Rachel and Ed are next on the chopping block. And let me add this, the Reverend Al has nothing on Cenk Uygur! MSNBC has made a huge mistake!

Posted by: Randy | Jul 21, 2011 1:10:05 PM

13. I agree with Gregory, Cenk should be over at Current with Keith Olbermann. They would welcome his outspokeness.

Personally I'm getting a little sick and tired of MSNBC bragging that they're the progressive antidote to FOX. Their hearts may be in the right place, but like Obama, they don't they have the courage of their convictions. The bottom line for them is the one on the financial sheet.

This desire to give conservatives equal say might me more palatable if MSNBC employed intelligent spokesmen for the conservative cause. Instead they rely on old bigots like Pat Buchanan, washed-up former Republican chairmen like Michael Steele and Republican analysts and strategists, all of whom simply give you the Republican or conservative party line. They almost never admit the party's wrong or on the wrong track and if a Republican has done something particularly egregious that they can't ignore they will admit it's an error but play it down and steer the conversation away from it. It is so painfully obvious that they are scripted. Shame on MSNBC for being shills for their propaganda.

The head of MSNBC, Phil Griffin, appears to be under the thumb of Comcast. MSNBC lost its cajones at about the time it was announced Comcast was taking over. First Keith in January, now Cenk. I don't think it will be long before the other hosts get their marching orders - and it won't be leaning forward.

Cenk Uygur, was intelligent and well-spoken and a great advocate for progressive causes. As for his "cooling his jets," I found him no more adversarial than Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow or Lawrence O'Donnell. If fact, I always noted that no matter how heated talks got, he always had a smile on his face.

Go join Keith, Cenk. Definitely!

Posted by: Vince | Jul 21, 2011 1:15:52 PM

14. MSNBC and CNN are in a desperate rush to be like FOX. It's all about ratings. Sadly they are making a huge mistake as the FOX viewers have been convinced anything other than them is bad and Biased. So they will alienate those who do actually watch them.
    I hope Maddow goes to Current or elsewhere. That's the only show worth watching now.

@LincolnLounger: Go watch Hannity, I think he's blathering about the threats of socialism again. Should be a good show for ya.

Posted by: Redebbm | Jul 21, 2011 1:15:52 PM

15. God the media sucks... and we (the vast majority of the American public) all sit empty headed and soak it up.

It's true - the media is only as liberal as the conservative corporations that own them.

Posted by: Tre | Jul 21, 2011 1:16:23 PM

16. It's a bit unclear to me whether the network was uncomfortable with his style or his substance.

If I had been him, I would have tried two things: first, be less abrasive in political commentary and then be less physical. See which part of his equation bothers the "powers that be."

Personally, I don't particularly like his on camera presence. All of his physicality is distracting and seems less "professional." In addition, 6:00 may not be the right time for his type of broadcasting.

I understand why he feels embittered by the whole experience. But big networks have different concerns than fringe internet sites.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jul 21, 2011 1:25:32 PM

17. I am so glad Cenk made this video. He really lays it all out and exposes Phil Griffin for what he is. The problem with MSNBC is that they are trying to turn the entire network into Morning Joe. Which is a good political morning show compared to the generic American Morning on CNN and those idiots on FOX and Friends. But, its a very milquetoast, middle of the road, center-right show. Joe Scarborough is a conservative republican and has a LOT of swagger at that network. Such a shame. At least we still have Current TV.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jul 21, 2011 1:53:53 PM

18. I hope Cenk makes it over to Current with Keith. And eventually, I hope Lawrence and Rachel make their way over there too. And MSNBC is left in the ashes.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Jul 21, 2011 2:50:27 PM

19. Also, the reason that FOX News dominates in the ratings is because it is the only network that appeals to conservatives almost exclusively. Anyone with a brain, liberals, and moderates are left to pick and choose between CNN and MSNBC (and frankly, those of us with a modicum of education know that almost all of these networks lack any journalistic integrity anymore and rely solely on sensationalist news and opinion editorializing to sell ad revenue.) If you want real news...BBC, NPR, NY Times, The Daily Show (sadly).

And, I think its hogwash to say Cenk was fired because he is just too liberal!! Again...Maddow and O'Donnell do this on a daily basis, and even Chris Matthews plays a little bit of Hardball from time to time?

I'm not lost on the fact that there are political underpinnings behind the networks and some of them aren't pretty. But Cenk was not doing anything that his contemporaries on the same network weren't doing already.

I agree with GreatGuyinCA... I just thought his style was unprofessional and strange. Laughing at yourself, throwing your hands in the air. It's sassy...but its not cutting edge.

Posted by: Alex | Jul 21, 2011 5:23:59 PM

20. @ Previous Replies to My Original Post,

For the record, I'm as liberal as they come. My view has nothing to do with Cenk's politics because I agree with his politics. Just because we agree with his politics doesn't mean he is a good newscaster or commentator! Come on!

Posted by: Alex | Jul 21, 2011 5:26:10 PM

21. @Alex Just a little nit-picky correction, he wasn't fired, they offered him a smaller role with larger pay and he didn't take it.

I do actually like him a lot better on TYT than on MSNBC. If anything him being on MSNBC for a while made him more well known and more people will watch TYT.

I don't think Rachel is in any trouble yet. As Cenk explained in the videos (either part 1 or part 2, I don't remeber) Rachel established her show for longer and has more power that she can use to do what she wants with her show. Cenk was only there since January.

Posted by: ravewulf | Jul 21, 2011 9:09:18 PM

22. I will miss Cenk - I looked forward to his show every afternoon here in California. As for Sharpton there's nothing there in appeal or substance trust me I will stay away from MSNBC during the Sharpton hour.

Posted by: Maddie Hunter | Jul 21, 2011 9:53:50 PM

23. It's sad what's going on at MSNBC. Ed's definitely next. Rachel may be able to latch on, without being compromised, through sheer force of personality -- but if things continue to go this way and she has other opportunities, I would think she'd take them.

Hopefully, Keith can put a second network on the map (first he did it with MSNBC, now hopefully Current), get Current into every cable channel's basic cable list, and then recruit the real progressives on MSNBC to jump ship.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 22, 2011 12:40:47 AM

24. Another talking head in a snit? Why does anyone care?

Posted by: wimsy | Jul 22, 2011 9:02:13 AM

25. Why have a program that cannot tell the truth. Everytime there is a good person on a program, you can them. Why have MSNBC news. Why not just make it a game show. That is what you are becoming.
    I kept wondering what the heck happened to Cenk. Now I know. You are on the get rid of them path again. When are you going to stop and let the people decide. I never, never, never missed Ed, Rachel and Cenk. Will they be next? What do you want all sweeties who won't rock the Republican boat. Their boat should be rocked. They are absolutely ruining this country. I see it going back to the depression days with them laughing all the way back.
    Get your brains where they should be, in your head not some where else.
    People out here aren't so stupid they can't see what you are doing. Comcast is a cable company. We can put them out of business fast by having everyone cancelling their connections. We don't need to be connected to false information.

Posted by: Betty Hoffman | Jul 28, 2011 9:14:44 PM