First Look: Weekend

WEEKEND_POSTER

Here's a first look at the official one-sheet for Weekend, a film headed for screens in late September which this year received Audience Awards at SXSW, Nashville and the Toronto Inside Out Film Festival, as well as OutFest's International Grand Jury Award.

On a Friday night after hanging out with his straight mates, Russell heads out to a gay club, alone and on the pull. Just before closing time he picks up Glen and that weekend, in bars and in bedrooms, getting drunk and taking drugs, telling stories and having sex, the two men get to know each other. It is an encounter that will resonate throughout their lives.

While the new one-sheet won't do much for face recognition of its actors Tom Cullen and Chris New, there is a teaser out there with the official trailer coming next week.

Anybody seen Weekend? Thoughts?

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. M O O N That spells weekend?

(sorry couldn't help with the name Tom Cullen (From "The Stand")

Posted by: Allen | Aug 8, 2011 6:30:09 PM

2. I saw a screener for this in advance of the Frameline Film Fest in San Francisco. Few other films made in the last 10 years have affected me as deeply as Weekend did. It's perfectly shot, written, acted, edited and emotionally resonant in a way that films rarely are anymore.

Posted by: perlerorneq | Aug 8, 2011 6:40:00 PM

3. Yeah, I saw it at the Provincetown International Film Fest in June and got to chat with Tom Cullen, who is a truly remarkable actor. It's his first feature and he really blew me away as a performer and as a sincerely modest and poised person.

The film sounds like it could be quite cheesy, but believe me. It's much more than the simple premise leads you to believe.

Posted by: Scot Colford | Aug 8, 2011 6:55:21 PM

4. Caught WEEKEND at the Provincetown International Film Festival in June. Powerful in its authenticity and honesty. Two leads are wonderful. Definitely worth seeing.

Posted by: Michael C. | Aug 8, 2011 6:55:42 PM

5. I saw it at Seattle International Film Festival and loved it! It's like a gay version of "Before Sunrise" - Not a rip-off of that movie, just similar in premise and style. It's extraordinarily authentic, personal, and touching. I consider it a must-see! I do have to mention though, it was one of the most polarizing movies in the festival passholders voting. In other words, some people hated it.

Posted by: justzheng | Aug 8, 2011 7:05:21 PM

6. I saw it at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. It's really beautiful. And probably the most accurate depiction of gay life in the 21st century. I highly recommend.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 8, 2011 7:54:33 PM

7. I wish they would've taken a higher road; personally I don't really think the average gay person takes drugs, hence improbably the "most accurate depiction of gay life in the 21st century." Acting as though that's average is almost an irresponsible invitation.

That isn't to say the movie will be necessarily bad. I look forward to seeing it.

Posted by: sparks | Aug 8, 2011 8:19:17 PM

8. I saw this at Outfest in NYC this summer. I liked it a lot but I don't think it was groundbreaking. And because it wasn't controversial or blatant, it has a mainstream flavor. And that's a good thing! It'll capture audiences who could otherwise wince at a "gay" movie.

Posted by: JL | Aug 8, 2011 8:41:58 PM

9. Haven't seen it, but I LOVE the poster.

Posted by: G.I. Joe | Aug 8, 2011 9:26:16 PM

10. I saw it at Salt Lake City's Damm These Heels Festival in June. It is definitely worth seeing. I was a little put off by the drug use as well. I found it refreshing that neither leads were conflicted about their sexuality. 3 stars out of 4.

Posted by: Bob Haedt | Aug 8, 2011 9:42:21 PM

11. I saw this at BAM - one of my favorite films of the last year. Real and charming and touching. Go see it when it comes out. Highly recommended.

Posted by: Jarrah | Aug 8, 2011 9:51:12 PM

12. Sounds wonderful. Another definitive film from the UK (Beautiful Thing also.)

Why can't we do the same here in the US? What is not going on here that should? Please, somebody make a film here that's worth seeing.

Posted by: TomJck | Aug 8, 2011 9:57:40 PM

13. And I agree with SPARKS, the most accurate description of "gay life" does NOT include drugs, or even bars, for that matter.

Posted by: TomJck | Aug 8, 2011 9:59:31 PM

14. Why is it always 'getting drunk and doing drugs"? My partner of 14 years and I met and fell in love without doing drugs or getting drunk.

Is there some rule that all gay movies have to follow a heterosexual story line?

Posted by: Cassandra | Aug 8, 2011 10:31:54 PM

15. I do also agree with the itchiness about the drugs. But I don't think that in this work it reflects on gay people as a whole. These characters did the drug they did because of a particular moment in time, being the people they were.

And justzheng nails it with the adjective "authentic." That's the word I used with Tom Cullen and he seemed to appreciate that.

Posted by: Scot Colford | Aug 9, 2011 12:09:00 AM

16. I saw it at Frameline in San Francisco and feel it's one of the strongest gay feature films I have seen in awhile. Loved it. I couldn't recommend it any more.

Posted by: stueyrichards | Aug 9, 2011 12:23:34 AM

17. For those wincing at the idea of drug use being accurate, I would offer that we all have different walks of life within our culture, and bear in mind that these boys, if I gather correctly, met in a bar setting and had a single weekend together. They are also young and attractive. As a 20-something New Yorker... it is not often that I'm out in a nightlife scene, where young, attractive men aren't at the very least really drunk, if not a little high on weed, and probably packing coke if not E. All of which I have tried in a single weekend before. So accurate is subjective. Maybe accurate to youth in the early 21st century is more apropos? Maybe you're overly sensitive about drug use in the gay community... or perhaps in the human community at large considering how many people actually smoke, or have smoked, pot? (a vast majority). And similarly, I offer that I think Brokeback Mountain was the LEAST homosexual film ever created. It's storyline has NOTHING to do with the life that I have, wasn't created by, nor acted by people that have ever been gay, and has the most defeated ending possible for a queer love story. Ergo, we all have a gay truth, and you should not be so upset when someone finds this one accurate to their own.

Posted by: Nate Gray | Aug 9, 2011 4:21:52 AM

18. yeah i think everyone needs to stop complaining about movies or shows that don't depict "accurate" life (as they see it). if they did, i think they'd be much less entertaining.

Posted by: Joseph Klock | Aug 9, 2011 9:52:26 AM

19. Saw this at Newfest. It's not just a good "gay movie" but a great film that I would recommend to anyone. I think it's too much of a burden to place on any gay-themed story to say it should be an accurate depiction of "gay life", as if that were even possible. It's enough for me that the film portrays a very authentic interaction between two gay men. And yes, drugs are a presence in the film in a way that I found both plausible and familiar. I have to say it's refreshing to see drugs used by regular people in a movie with no negative consequences whatsoever. Sorry, Nancy Reagan.

Posted by: Paul LeSecq | Aug 9, 2011 10:47:21 AM

20. Echoing all the other raves. Saw it at Outfest in July and was very impressed with it. Most "gay movies" range from mildly bad to egregiously awful. It was refreshing to see a gay-themed film that was this good. Probably my favorite since "Shelter" several years ago.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Aug 9, 2011 12:50:13 PM

21. Saw this at Inside Out here in Toronto in May. So sublime, so moving. It was the most realistic portrayal of real people, gay or straight aside, I've seen in 20 years. It won't get the mainstream press it deserves but it's beyond exceptional. Everybody-- go see it! It's like if Brokeback was uncloseted and laid-back, if that makes sense. Except even compared to this, you feel they were "acting" in Brockeback compared to the naturalism of Weekend. (And yes, there is eye candy but that's very very secondary to the dialogue and performances.) Even bits of the soundtrack are perfect.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Aug 9, 2011 3:52:20 PM

22. Egads I just went back through all the comments and those of you saying "drugs are not an accurate reflection of gay relationships" have to realize that for YOU it is not. This film is telling the story of two specific people, not every gay relationship ever. Get over your uptight selves and go see the damn film-- you may not approve of drug use but you'll still love the whole story/performance.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Aug 9, 2011 3:59:52 PM