News | X-Factor

Emmanuel Kelly, the Latest Must-Watch X-Factor Audition: VIDEO

Kelly

Emanuel Kelly, a 17-year-old Australian who was born an Iraqi orphan in a war zone and saved by an aid worker, offers his audition to the British talent competition.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm speechless. If you're not crying something's wrong with your heart.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Aug 30, 2011 9:03:46 AM

2. Being born with no parents must have taken some talent.

Posted by: filbert | Aug 30, 2011 9:05:08 AM

3. That was the Australian version of X Factor not the British one, u can tell by the accent!

Posted by: Alistair | Aug 30, 2011 9:18:01 AM

4. Such a beautiful voice. Made me cry.
    @Filbert, if that's the only thing to write, why write nothing at all.

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 30, 2011 9:18:57 AM

5. Filbert?? Come on. . .really??

I could go on about how someone who'd dump two brothers in a park in a box couldn't be a real 'parent.' But, really??? Listen again, he never says he had no parents!

Posted by: Christopher | Aug 30, 2011 9:27:31 AM

6. I'm a cynic of the first degree, and just his story was enough to make me well up.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 30, 2011 9:30:49 AM

7. We all deserve our moment in the sun. I am so happy his moment included the cheers and love of millions of people.

Posted by: Brad | Aug 30, 2011 10:09:45 AM

8. STFU filbert

Anyway; I definitely teared up from his story before he even sang

Posted by: say what | Aug 30, 2011 10:12:17 AM

9. Sweet story... but he can't sing

Posted by: Rex | Aug 30, 2011 10:23:51 AM

10. I think that 3rd judge is as in love as I am!

Those boys certainly were adopted into the right nation... the enthusiasm of Aussies is without peer.

and btw, folks... ignore provocative trolls & they disappear more quickly.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Aug 30, 2011 10:33:43 AM

11. He SO going to be a star. He's gorgeous and he has a perfect sympathetic backstory. I'd say he's a pretty good singer -- no Susan Boyle story here -- but it's enough to become a pop idol.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 30, 2011 10:42:03 AM

12. Wow, what a story, what a song. Hopefully they will change this young man's world.

Posted by: Fred | Aug 30, 2011 10:42:47 AM

13. This should be seen by the entire world.

Posted by: DG | Aug 30, 2011 10:56:24 AM

14. He's one of the luckiest unluckiest people in the world. The next time I complain about anything, I'm going to think of him. To think of what would have happened to him and his brother if his mother hadn't found them, of what happens to every other child in their situation. Life is random, kindness is free, and he and his entire family seem absolutely lovely.

Posted by: justme | Aug 30, 2011 11:04:14 AM

15. Amazing story, adorable, brave, wonderful brothers. Absolutely wonderful mother. And he deserved the standing ovation.

That all being said- I don't actually think his voice is terribly strong. Small range, not a lot of power or sustainability. With more training I'm sure he could be fantastic- but this performance was about the story and the courage- not really so much about the singing.

Good for him- absolutely. And I got all teary eyed for him. Regardless of the fact that his singing was somewhat mediocre.

Posted by: AedanCRoberts | Aug 30, 2011 11:11:43 AM

16. Would have been better if he would have performed without his shirt.

Posted by: catinrye | Aug 30, 2011 12:00:10 PM

17. I got teary, too. And I'm shocked by the cynicism here. Unbelievable.

Posted by: mike128 | Aug 30, 2011 12:02:42 PM

18. Mike, it is called attention-seeking trolls who say anything just to be provocative..... the whole purpose of X-factor, unlike say pop (American) Idol is that to a certain extent they are more mentored on that show. Let's see how he does with a little more professional voice coaching.

Posted by: Phil | Aug 30, 2011 12:17:29 PM

19. Agreed @say what...

Truly amazing story - his voice is actually pretty good for an untrained vocalist, and he can only get better with training.

Posted by: Scott | Aug 30, 2011 12:32:40 PM

20. How can the emotion and his talent be turned to a greater good? Release his cover of "Imagine" as a single on iTunes and have the proceeds go to a charity that works to find homes for orphans in Iraq.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Aug 30, 2011 12:42:00 PM

21. This is what all the depleted uranium weapons that the american military uses does to countless kids wherever american foreign policy drops by for a long visit.

Y'all should read up a bit on depleted uranium instead of rating the kid on his good looks.

Posted by: e65xa | Aug 30, 2011 1:49:06 PM

22. Very moving story and performance. Yes, he needs work, but who would not want to see if he gets better? Also noticed how he sang the anti-religion verses of Imagine. In the U.S., they always skip that part so they don't get voted off by the cultists.

Posted by: MikeyDallas | Aug 30, 2011 2:28:08 PM

23. It's almost criminal, the stuff most of us worry about or complain about... when there are so many stories like this in the world. Even close to home. Just broke up with my guy, but suddenly... I think I'll live.

Thanks for this amazing, amazing, amazing post!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Aug 30, 2011 2:50:14 PM

24. Agree with SCOTT and others, he has a promising voice, I hope he gets the training and opportunity to take it all the way.

Posted by: Demian | Aug 30, 2011 3:53:40 PM

25. To quote one of my favorite comments over at Queerty in response to disproportionately mean, snarky posts about a tender item:

Back to Hades, ye Harpies!

And I love snark...