Big Brother | I'm Gay | News

'Big Brother 13' Housemate Lawon Talks About Sexuality, Coming Out to His Family: VIDEO

Lawon

Although Big Brother housemate Lawon's sexuality has been addressed during the live feeds, last night's episode (correct me if I'm wrong) was the first time that the network broadcast has addressed it.

In a touching conversation with Shelly and Jordan, Lawon says that his family won't talk about his sexuality but that he got full support from the one person that mattered — his grandmother — after telling her he was gay.

"She leaned over, I'll never forget this. She said, 'Baby, I know that. What I want you to do is do this for me. I want you to be the best gay Black man you can be. And live your life to the fullest.' She gave me that, baby. It was like a rock lifted off my chest."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I went to high school with Lawon. An excellent guy, and -- as it turns out -- a very brave one.

Posted by: driouxcipher | Aug 1, 2011 9:13:14 AM

2. Best. Grandmother. Ever.

Posted by: justinw | Aug 1, 2011 10:28:51 AM

3. I remember when my older cousin (by 10 years than me) came out to his father and was kicked out of the house. He came over to my grandmother's house and told her what happened. She told him, he has made a tough decision, but he will always be her nephew Jimmy and to be careful. I'll never forget that as long as I live. Too bad I didn't have the courage to tell about me back then.

Posted by: Dale | Aug 1, 2011 10:34:21 AM

4. It was a really great moment on the show and hopefully inspirational words for any lgbt who needed to hear it.

My only issue with the segment was when Lawon mentioned that he deals with being gay by not talking about it in his family. Jordan seemed to sigh with relief to hear that. Almost as if to say "Good, keep it in the closet."

Jordan's boyfriend, Jeff, has went off on homophobic rants in past episodes and just recently got into an argument about how it wasn't right for gay adults to be around kids in school. While Jeff very clearly has a problem with gay people, Jordan doesn't seem to have openly said how she feels, but her reaction to Lawon makes me think she is still uncomfortable with the idea.

I think Lawon finds himself in a tough grey area that a lot of gay people deal with. They've come up out of the closet, which is half the battle, but family only accepts them if they don't talk about it. So it's like one foot is in the closet and one foot is out.

Posted by: Nathan | Aug 1, 2011 11:50:18 AM

5. @Nathan: I didn't take Jordan's reaction as "good, keep it in the closet". I saw it more as she just understood what his situation is, likely because she knows other gay people who share that situation. It is unfortunate that the whole scene was not a part of the clip. Immediately after Lawon told his story, Jordan said that she would not love her kid any less if they were to come out to her. Jordan is a good gal and definitely a lot smarter than people give her credit for.

Posted by: Jeremy | Aug 1, 2011 12:03:54 PM

6. @Nathan, again. Dangit! I forgot the best part that this clip directly cuts off. Jordan is saying that Lawon is the goofy guy who is always joking and making people laught and that it was good to see the serious side of him. She basically said he is good people. That to me really speaks to who Jordan is.

Posted by: Jeremy | Aug 1, 2011 12:07:56 PM

7. Truly inspiring...

Posted by: Bryan | Aug 1, 2011 12:24:13 PM

8. I think Dani isn’t making a smart move by trying to get rid of one if the vets because she could’ve gotten the alliance stronger by showing her loyalty. I think regardless of who is HOH next week, Dani is going on the block. I doubt Kalia will win anything; this is a game and she only showed up to play at one competition. I highly doubt she will pull a win on Thursday! I won’t be home Monday night to watch the new season begin so I went ahead and signed up for the Sling Adapter with my DISH Network employee account so I would never miss a minute of it. I can watch live and pre-recorded content and I don't even have to be at home to do so. The Sling Adapter is normally $99 but with a special promotion with DISH Network, new and existing customers can now get it for free. People can go here to get more information http://bit.ly/lDiR6U!

Posted by: Brooklyn | Aug 1, 2011 5:17:53 PM