Leonardo Dicaprio | Mark Wahlberg | News | Taylor Lautner

Mark Wahlberg Warns Leonardo DiCaprio About Taylor Lautner's Bod, Good Looks

Mark Wahlberg is feeling his age:

2_lautner "I am sitting at a table with a gentleman who is better looking than you and is in better shape than me," Wahlberg said to DiCaprio earlier today at the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's annual luncheon at the Beverly Hills Hotel. "So, we're both out of a job, dude. Taylor Lautner! We're screwed."

"It's over, dude," Wahlberg continued as the room burst into laughter. "Titanic and Boogie Nights were a long time ago. I accept it. I had a good run and on to the next."

Lautner told E!'s Marc Malkin:

"I don't even know the word to describe being here," the Twilight star exclusively told me. "It's so odd. It's such an honor. I'm up on the stage and talking in front of people like that? The people that I looked up to my entire life? Hearing words like that from Mark and everybody it's just really surreal."

Comments

1. But,. he can't act.

Maybe that doesn't matter anymore. My film class teacher was telling us how some of the early Russian directors believed that the ability to act was unimportant and that a director should be able to get any emotion he wants, from the audience, through the use of film editing.

Posted by: Nate | Aug 5, 2011 11:47:28 AM

2. Mark Wahlberg who said he would never ever have done Broback Mountain because kissing a guy would be disgusting... or gross, or some other bull*hit. But, he has no problem murdering people inhis movies... nice.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Aug 5, 2011 11:59:04 AM

3. too bad lautner can't act his way out of a paper bag

Dicaprio has nothing to fear from lautner

Heck even Marky Mark is a better actor than Lautner and Marky Mark is not a great actor

Lautner will be selling himself to older rich fans in hotel rooms 3 yrs from now max

Posted by: say what | Aug 5, 2011 12:15:27 PM

4. It will be very interesting to see what career path fate has in store for Taylor Lautner.
    He certainly has sexual charisma, especially in still photographs and reminds me in an odd way of Sal Mineo. Leonardo DiCaprio has nothing to worry about he just gets better and better as an actor and more handsome with age. He is due for an Oscar.

Usually, I am not attracted to the Taylor Lautner type but this guys does have something very hot and it ain't just his looks and great smile. Sorry, that is not to say he is a good actor, from what little I have seen of him I have not been very impressed; time could change that.

Then there is the question of his sexuality, I have no evidence of his being gay but something indicates that I might be right. However, he comes from a very strict and wholesome family. His coming out is not imaginable at this time.
    I wish this handsome man well.

PS: I don't like Taylor's recent sculpturing of his eyebrows or the weight loss.

Posted by: Max F. Grump | Aug 5, 2011 12:16:52 PM

5. Oh for Pete's sake. Acting for the camera is something you learn over time. I had a friend go from not being able to act her way out of a wet paper bag to being a TV star who gets rave reviews purely from putting in enough time in front of a camera.

How can anybody tell if anybody can act from just the Twilight movies, anyway? Everybody's awful in those. Even people we know can act are awful in those.

The last of my Lautner rant is this: Marky Mark said Taylor was better-looking (true) and better built (true) -- but he didn't claim that his or Leo's acting had anything to do with either of their successes (also true).

If time is kind to him and us, then get ready to hate Taylor Lautner for a long time to come.

Posted by: justme | Aug 5, 2011 12:22:21 PM

6. Lautner is the next Schwarzenegger, all body no talent.

As Pauline Kael said of Arnold, watching him learn to act is like watching a glacier melt. Ditto Lautner.

The kid should make as much money as he can while to going's good.

Posted by: jeffg166 | Aug 5, 2011 12:22:32 PM

7. I think I've seen one movie that Lautner has been in and even then I only watched a few minutes of it-it was that Shark Boy movie he did when he was a kid; I was flipping through the channels and it was on

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Aug 5, 2011 12:28:59 PM

8. @JeffG166

No that's Kellan Lutz.

I do agree that you can only be a pretty face for so long until people want to know what is underneath your skin. Pretty faces are a dime a dozen in Hollywood but someone with actual talent is better.

Posted by: Max | Aug 5, 2011 12:29:30 PM

9. jeffg

that is part of Lautners problem

He had to beg to be in Twilight 2 because they were set to put someone else in his role. So you know the contract he begged to sign had to suck. because of that he probably is the lowest paid twilight actor

The kids movies since then have sucked so don't expect much.

Shark boy and whatever movie sure as hell didn't make him a millionaire

As far as looks, they only appeal to tweenies. The eyebrows tweezing make him look like a drag queen. Muscles, there are a million muscle actors and the kid is short for holywood 5'10 is short by holywood standards unless you have the acting chops

He will be selling himself in 3 yrs to old dudes in hotel rooms

Posted by: say what | Aug 5, 2011 12:34:07 PM

10. Sooner or later there will be an auto-tune equivalent for acting.

Actors will lend their faces and bodies to a film; CGIers will take care of all the pesky details like facial expressions and gestures.

Posted by: sparks | Aug 5, 2011 12:34:08 PM

11. PS

he should do some indie flick where he is 100lbs lighter than he is now drugged up and in a wheel chair + blind or some such, that will get him acting cred and respect in holywood

Posted by: say what | Aug 5, 2011 12:35:27 PM

12. DiCaprio was never just a hot teenie bopper, he was a real actor. Prior to Titanic, Basketball Diaries? What's Eating Gilbert Grape? I don't think all the girls were swooning over mentally challenged Arnie. But critics sure did, because even as a young actor Leonardo DiCaprio was obviously gifted. The density of his abs was irrelevant.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 5, 2011 12:46:08 PM

13. Id like to see Taylor L in "The Other Side of Aspen 8,The Hunger"

Posted by: Gay American | Aug 5, 2011 12:51:33 PM

14. Right now Lautner has yet to prove his box office worth outside the Twilight films. The big test will come with his new movie, Abduction, which basically looks like a "Bourne Identity" reworking where he learns he's not who he thinks he is and eventually takes out an entire high-tech secret organization with his bare hands (more or less). If it makes money, then he'll be seen as an actor who can open and carry a movie. If not, studios won't be lining up with new projects for him. The Abduction trailer doesn't look promising (dialogue like "We're going to find you" / "Not if I find you first"), but dumber movies have launched big careers.

Posted by: Sancho | Aug 5, 2011 1:04:56 PM

15. I hate his nose. Never been attracted to him for that reason.

Posted by: Jay | Aug 5, 2011 1:20:26 PM

16. Oh for crying out loud. Lautner didn't have to "beg" to be in the second Twilight film, he had to build his body to be in it. He was considered to be too skinny to be a werewolf, which he was until he packed on the muscles.

They did not give him his role back out of the kindess of their hearts or because they drove his asking price down, they gave him his role back because he was then fit for his role, as it was continuing to develop before a vastly greater audience than they had even hoped for.

And what was the result? He was the hit of the second Twilight film! His career was cemented. The offers came pouring in.

What's the point of pretending that he's barely hanging on by a thread and ready for food stamps? He just had dinner with Dustin Lance Black and Gus Van Sant and I sincerely doubt it was to arrange a three-way.

So it's too bad that his being rich, famous, praised, accepted, beautiful and successful is a problem for you, but whatever. Sometimes we just hate people no matter what. So go on, hate him all you want, but if you have to make up stories to hate him, well, that's just weird.

Posted by: justme | Aug 5, 2011 2:28:28 PM

17. And I missed this the first time around:

"5'10 is short by holywood standards"

Wow. If you don't know that most actors are average height (which is shorter than 5'10", by the way) or below, I don't know what to say to that. Somebody go back in time and tell the vast majority of Hollywood's most successful leading men -- you can start with the Munchkin-like Tom Cruise -- that they actually are too short to be successful in films.

Posted by: justme | Aug 5, 2011 2:34:51 PM

18. More likely the next Ben Affleck. If he's lucky.

Posted by: Marky mark my words | Aug 5, 2011 3:25:21 PM

19. I believe Mr. Wahlberg just let us know that he thinks he's better looking than DiCaprio.

Mind you, I would agree.

Posted by: BobN | Aug 5, 2011 3:32:30 PM

20. Interesting set of comments.

I guess we'll all have to wait a few more years to see what happens, that is, if he has the momentum he has now.

Posted by: S. | Aug 5, 2011 5:55:30 PM

21. Justme check out Lautner's own wiki page

"Initially, director Chris Weitz wanted to recast the role of Jacob Black for Twilight's sequel, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, due to the major physical changes that occur in Black between the two novels, and have an actor that would accurately portray "the new, larger Jacob Black."[17] Black's role in the novel also increases significantly, with him falling in love with Bella and becoming a werewolf, putting the actor in a starring role. Representatives for Weitz had stated that they were make a full effort to recast the "high-profile gig," and MTV News confirmed that Weitz was looking at Michael Copon to take on the role"

5'10 in MODERN hollywood is short. Tom cruise is old guard and never would make it in modern hollywood for being under 5'10. Tom is closer to like 5'7

In 3 yrs you can rent lautner and have your fan boy way with him

Posted by: say what | Aug 5, 2011 6:03:53 PM

22. I'm going to be all non-comformist here and say i have had a crush on this boy, especially after he bulked up. He's not the best actor but he got me to laugh during SNL. There are plenty of self proclaimed comedians who can't do that. He needs to find a role he can loosen up in and enjoy, the one thing i can gather in his acting is that he is not enjoying it. Certainly he admitted he didn't like bulking up because he preferred to be lighter. Trust me guys there are better things to do than attack the twilight movies. They are a mess that my friends drag me to, but in the end I have fun and got to see a half naked guy. and for a gay guy in my 20s i can say thats something i like to regularly do.

Posted by: Redebbm | Aug 5, 2011 6:05:37 PM

23. Mark Walberg is an awful actor.He had always relied on his body to push the movie thru and now the pecs sag and the triceps fluff about.For a drug dealer from South Boston he has done pretty good.He is an example of the American Dream come true.Well is about time to wake up and face life in its own terms.Anyway he has milked the movie industry enough.His homophobia since to have helped him with the red-neck masses.

Posted by: Oscar in Miami Beach | Aug 5, 2011 6:43:28 PM

24. I'll give you ready to send strings of fun, little message then please.

Posted by: nike free run 2 | Aug 6, 2011 12:19:03 AM

25. @sparks...it's called animated films or voice overs...actors lend their voices and movements, which become digitized and rake in the bigger bucks. (ala Finding Nemo).

Posted by: PAV3 | Aug 6, 2011 12:48:56 AM