2012 Election | Discrimination | News | Rick Santorum

Rick Santorum Defends Anti-Gay Views By Saying He Has Gay Friends: Video

SantorumGayFriends
Fox News host Megan Kelly yesterday told Rick Santorum yesterday that many of her gay friends think he hates them because of his tenaciously homophobic policies and rhetoric, like his oft-cited comparison of homosexuality with sex with animals.

And, as he did with CNN's Don Lemon, Santorum defended himself with a predictable remark, "I have gay friends," which is akin to a racist saying, "I have black friends," and said that while he "respects" the "decision" to be gay, he won't back down on his socially conservative politics.

"I have friends who are gay, I accept them as they are, but I disagree with them vehemently about what is in the best interest of society with respect to our marriage laws," Santorum insists.

He went on:

Again, I'm going to stand and be very vocal about [my anti-gay marriage views], but that doesn't mean that I dislike anybody or hate anybody because of their sexual orientation. I respect that decision, but you also have to respect me for feeling very differently for trying to take that orientation and then trying to project that agenda on to the American public that is consistent with that, that's where I'll draw the line...

Watch Santorum's lame explanation, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Frothy Mix has gay friends?

Then he needs to show up with at least 2 gay friends to confirm that he does indeed have more than one gay friends who think enough of him to show up and appear on tv with him. People need to be called on this line.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Aug 20, 2011 9:04:27 AM

2. "Then he needs to show up with at least 2 gay friends to confirm that he does indeed have more than one gay friends who think enough of him to show up and appear on tv with him."

I'm sure all he would have to do is call Chris Barron, of GoProud and he would immediately have an entire roster of gay friends to choose from.

Posted by: Taylor | Aug 20, 2011 9:10:28 AM

3. I wouldn't be surprised if he did have a rich, republican, self-hating pair of friends who didn't mind being condescended to as long as the get to be friends with actual straight people and keep their tax breaks. I know at least one wealthy gay ass kissing couple who watch Fox News and foam at the mouth over Obama and run mainly in straight conservative circles. They make me sick because it's only about the money and prestige for them.

Posted by: MrJ | Aug 20, 2011 9:12:17 AM

4. Frustré!

Posted by: dani | Aug 20, 2011 9:17:02 AM

5. Frothy:
    The wide stance ex-senator and the fundamentalist Indiana rep don't count! Soon you will be telling us all you have our show tunes on your CD player and your favorite sing along song is YMCA.

Posted by: Nick | Aug 20, 2011 9:22:11 AM

6. What about Kelly? Just because they do your hair, honey, doesn't mean they're your friends.

Posted by: gaylib | Aug 20, 2011 9:25:44 AM

7. Megan Kelly has gay friends?!?!?!!!???

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 20, 2011 9:25:44 AM

8. Most people in America have friends and family who are dumbasses. We love them and wish them well, but we don't want them to be President of our country because it would change the definition of intelligence in this country and people would think it's okay to be a regressive idiot. So Rick, I can tell you that being a dumbass of epic proportion, most of America doesn't want you to be President either.

So good luck. They kicked you out of office in your home state, maybe you should try to find a job that doesn't suck off of the public tit.

Posted by: Bart | Aug 20, 2011 9:29:48 AM

9. I never found Megyn Kelly to be homophobic. She's more of a girl scout, who's too naive to understand that not every rule is right. Though I wonder why didn't she ask the same to Tony Perkins, when he was a guest.

Posted by: Sarina | Aug 20, 2011 9:35:04 AM

10. Beause no Republican vagina-owner would EVER question Tony Perkins.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 20, 2011 9:38:08 AM

11. Name them.

Posted by: Keppler | Aug 20, 2011 9:42:01 AM

12. As much as I loathe this "defense" of the indefensible, I do have two very dear friends, close as family, that I've known for the last thirty years who tow the party-line on glbtq issues. They're brother and sister, immigrants from Czechoslovakia who did honestly suffer terribly from direct abuse under Communism and so are now die-hard GOP reactionaries who swallow all the fear-mongering hook, line and sinker. The brother recently ran for a state representative office in NH and part of his platform was repeal of same-sex marriage. He (thankfully) lost the election, but the thing is, I do know both he and his sister love me, and this isn't a "core issue" to them -- not at all the driving force behind their conservativism -- but they just buy the propaganda and truly believe, despite all my arguments and attempts to demonstrate otherwise, that though it's unfortunate I get "caught in the crossfire" on this issue and suffer for it, all society really will crumble if same-sex marriage is legalized. The sister is blind, and her analogy is usually, "I really want to drive, but it would be chaos if somebody decided blind people should have a 'right' to drive! You have to live with the cards you're dealt sometimes for the greater good!"

I an NOT a self-loathing Republican more concerned with my pocketbook than equality. But these two ARE my friends, and our love for one another is not at all in question. We just see the world through eyes so different from each other we will never, ever persuade one another to change our views, because in both cases we feel adamantly that our very survival is at stake in our politics. It's a very difficult situation, but it is one I am thankful for because it does enable me to see that the other side of this debate are not necessarily hateful monsters out to destroy us.

I often remark of this woman "the Cold War will never end for her." But in all honesty, the paranoia and demonization on both sides of this issue remind me of nothing so much as the Cold War itself. And if I knew how to "tear this wall down" so we could begin a more productive dialog on how to solve this impasse, God knows I'd have done so sometime in the last thirty years.

But I guess I just mostly wanted to say that it is entirely possible he has gay friends, and if so, I don't think they should be disparaged as Uncle Toms. Life is hardly ever black and white.

Posted by: Shelly | Aug 20, 2011 9:51:28 AM

13. Egomaniacs think everyone is (or should be) their friend unless they're a declared enemy. How many of Frothy's perceived friends would admit to being friends with Frothy? Or do they just tolerate him?

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Aug 20, 2011 10:10:00 AM

14. HAHAHAHAHAHA @SHELLY. You almost had me there for a minute, I totally thought you were serious, I mean its like Ayn Rand f*cked Ronald Reagan and their baby wrote your comment.

Posted by: MrJ | Aug 20, 2011 10:14:54 AM

15. Oh, just like I know lots of folks in Alabama who didn't hate their "Negro" maids during the late 50s and early 60s - they just disagreed with them about Jim Crow laws. Thanks for bringing it all into focus, Rick!

Posted by: Sindy | Aug 20, 2011 10:24:52 AM

16. Shelly,

There are many reasons someone is not allowed to drive, blind, prone to seizures, etc. The bottom line is they are not allowed to drive because they are incapable of driving. Marriage is about love. Gay people are capable of love.

Most people have no problem with being able to love mentally handicapped people because we understand they aren't ignorant, they are simply incapable of intelligent thought. But simply being ignorant is inexcusable. And also a sin according to the Bible.

Most people with a college degree hang with other people with a college degree (some exceptions) but mostly people hang with and are friends with others who are like minded.

I am a democrat with republican friends, but I don't usually have friends who are simply ill informed and spew ignorant ideas and beliefs. I certainly do not have any friends who see me less than themselves or others.

Posted by: Steve Pardue | Aug 20, 2011 10:26:47 AM

17. He probably has a few GOProuder's as friends, the ones who support and vote for their representatives who mostly vote against marriage equality, repeal of DOMA and DADT. Chris Barron opposed repeal of DADT as late as February 2011. Ron Paul, their darling, now supports DOMA.

Why does this moron think that saying he has gay friends gives him a free pass? It means nothing. Is he that dumb to think we don't see through it? A bigot is a bigot is a bigot.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Aug 20, 2011 10:34:15 AM

18. Sorry, Shelly, whatever "direct abuse under Communism" your "friends" suffered from doesn't justify or rationalize depriving a class of people equality under the law and under the US Constitution. Repealing marriage equality after it has been passed by an elected legislature and after couples have begun marrying is un-American, pure bigotry, and an illustration that they've learned nothing from their "abuse." Why would you want to be friends with someone who thinks you don't deserve the same rights they have in your country?

There aren't 2 sides of this issue. There is 1. There is no rational reason to exclude gay couples, good tax paying American citizens, from full marriage equality under the law. Wanting to repeal equality makes them no different than Mr. Frothy Mix. People like that aren't really our friends.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 20, 2011 11:04:03 AM

19. rudy giuliani had gay freinds too. he lived in their apt after he split with his wife. when marriage equality passed in nyc, he refused to officiate at their ceremony, as promised. rudy has gay friends.

Posted by: kodiak | Aug 20, 2011 11:05:29 AM

20. Shelley: "the paranoia and demonization on both sides of this issue".

False equivalency BS.

Just a few examples: Gay people are being fired, murdered, disowned by family. Gay families are being split up, denied insurance, prevented from having hospital visitation.

Anti-gay bigots are "suffering" that their bigotry is becoming less socially and legally acceptable.

There is no "both sides" blame.

Posted by: jones | Aug 20, 2011 11:09:10 AM

21. FAIL! I'm sick of this crap. Gay isn't a choice, why doesn't someone ask the idiots who spew this when they choose to be straight? You shouldn't be allowed to "debate" lies, which is what the media (both mainstream and wingnut) is enabling. You don't see "debates" about racial prejudice? Regarding friends, how can anyone seriously consider someone who doesn't respect who they are a "friend"? I'm sorry, but anyone who works against my basic fundamental rights is not my friend - and anyone who is willing to sacrifice the rights of an entire minority for a bit of coin is despicable. How fricken selfish and immoral could they be?

Posted by: Mike | Aug 20, 2011 11:23:46 AM

22. I actually can't imagine him having *any* friends, gay or het.

Posted by: justinw | Aug 20, 2011 11:25:25 AM

23. thing is, how deep a friendship can it be when it basically comes down to the str8 person feeling the gay person is beneath them, less than them, are sinners in the eyes of whatever god, are after their children, and whose "gay agenda" includes the downfall of the usa? Would you want to be friends with someone who tows a party line like that? talk about the devil, sheesh.

Posted by: kodiak | Aug 20, 2011 11:29:31 AM

24. Ernie, the Log Cabiners actually believe that they can change the GOP from within as do the more radical GOProuders. I've not seen much progress on that one over the past 10 years. A lot of them suck up to these right wing scumbags because they clamor for acceptance by their masters who subjugate them. Pretty sick if you ask me. They're quick to bash Obama and the democrats, but really, what do any of the republican candidates plan on doing for equality if they get the White House in 2012? Which piece of equality legislation are they going to introduce? ENDA? Repeal of DOMA? NOT going to happen. The fattening of their portfolios is far more important than our equality, first and foremost. They'd sell us out for a dollar as they've done, repeatedly and will continue to do so.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Aug 20, 2011 11:29:34 AM

25. Bravo, Sindy! And Shelly, do your Czech friends who are against equal rights demean gay people the same way Rick Santorum does? That is what made Santorum so famously anti-gay. Most Republican politicians are against equal rights, but Santorum made his nasty rhetoric especially offensive. If they do, I can't imagine how you could be friends with them.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 20, 2011 11:32:58 AM