Don Lemon | News | Randy Roberts Potts

BigGayDeal.com

Randy Roberts Potts, Gay Grandson of Televangelist Oral Roberts, Talks to Don Lemon About Sexuality, Family: VIDEO

Roberts_potts

In his first television appearance, Randy Roberts Potts, the gay grandson of televangelist Oral Roberts, appeared on The Joy Behar Show with host Don Lemon to discuss his grandfather, coming out, his marriage to a woman, his spirituality, his "It Gets Better" video, and how his family relates to his homosexuality now:

"They don't accept it. They strongly believe that I'm going to hell for being openly gay. I strongly believe I'm not. So it's hard to find a middle ground between us...I think they are really legitimately afraid that I am going to hell and they're too scared to look beyond that and so it hurts  me but I also feel badly for them to be trapped in a place like that.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He is adorable.

Posted by: grant | Aug 24, 2011 7:19:28 AM

2. This is more evidence that religious belief of that order is a mental illness.

Posted by: rovex | Aug 24, 2011 7:55:36 AM

3. I feel sorry for the Roberts family that they can't deal rationally with Randy's sexuality. They are the ones missing out on quite probably a really great person because of religion-inspired bigotry.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Aug 24, 2011 8:09:24 AM

4. When I first glanced at the headline I thought “Randy” was being used as an adjective and not a proper name.

Seems like a nice kid who’s been through some hell but still came out a very together person. Too bad the rest of his family is too cowardly to follow him on that journey. Typical Christianists, scared of their own shadow.

Posted by: ichabod | Aug 24, 2011 8:22:30 AM

5. What a great and grounded quote: "...I feel badly for them to be trapped in a place like that." That's exactly right, good on him and I am now an instant fan. May he start a new movement called something like Unvangelicals, to pray for freedom from superstition.

Posted by: uffda | Aug 24, 2011 8:36:17 AM

6. Oh, come off of it. You pathetic, middle aged queens don't give a hoot what this guy is blathering on about... y'all just think he's hot, in a college jock fratboy kind of way, and y'all wanna bang him till the cows come home, LOL. Just trying to keep it real, bitches... just trying to keep it real!

Posted by: TANK | Aug 24, 2011 10:03:10 AM

7. His family has plenty of other things to be worried about in thi$ world. I agree with Rovex that religion is akin to a mental illness, or maybe mental crutch.

Posted by: Geoff M | Aug 24, 2011 11:06:26 AM

8. @Tank, sounds like the only pathetic queen here is you. The comments made by others here were heartfelt and I agree with them. Referring to someone as "adorable" does not mean you want to "bang him". Grow up.

Posted by: Xavi | Aug 24, 2011 11:18:00 AM

9. Randy is trying to right some wrongs that his grandfather perpetuated during his ministry. I have to give the kid major kudos, leaving his marriage, he has three, or four children, his family was not kind to him growing up, or as he was coming out. He realizes that religion should always be inclusive, not exclusive.

Posted by: Beau | Aug 24, 2011 11:44:58 AM

10. Guess who's back? Tank is back. yippee.. coincindentally, wheres ratbastard?

Posted by: yadda | Aug 24, 2011 12:02:56 PM

11. Well-spoken, thoughtful, polite. I'm sorry he has to deal with a religious family, but sure glad he is able to live out proud.

Posted by: sparks | Aug 24, 2011 1:18:00 PM

12. He's beautiful.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 24, 2011 1:38:44 PM

13. Now all we need is a gay Falwell and a gay Robertson and the gay triumvirate will be complete and the 'end of days' can commence. hahaha

Posted by: J H Robbins | Aug 24, 2011 2:04:11 PM

14. Am I the only one who can see how high he is?

Posted by: Markus | Aug 24, 2011 4:57:38 PM

15. What a doll.
    Love ya, Randy.
    Keep talking.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Aug 24, 2011 5:17:08 PM

16. Right Tank is back. He married Ratbastard who's now doing as he's told - to shut up - so that he, Tank, can shine more fully as the most truculently neurotic of the two. Can you just imagine their domestic scenes?

Posted by: uffda | Aug 25, 2011 12:59:39 AM