Benigno Aquino | Gay Adoption | Gay Marriage | News | Philippines

Philippine President Benigno Aquino Suggests Gays Should Have the Right to Marry but Not Adopt: VIDEO

Aquino

Philippine President Benigno Aquino was asked about gay marriage in an interview yesterday while in New York for the UN General Assembly. Aquino suggested he would support the rights of gays and lesbians to do what they want in that regard but fell short of endorsing it. Aquino then suggested same-sex marriage would lead to adoption by gay couples, which he opposes.

Said Aquino:

“Gay marriage—I don’t think I’m ready to tackle that fight right now. But the perspective... it is their choice. Normally I would say, you’re adults, you should be able to do whatever you want so long as it doesn’t harm anybody else....But if the next step is [that they] want the right to adopt, then I would be in a dilemma as to whether or not the child that will grow up in this world with a lot of problems would also have to, from the get-go, address that particular issue also at a very young age.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. For the Philippines that's a very enlightened attitude. The country is ridiculously Catholic. Which is the reason why this isn't happening any time soon

Posted by: Steve | Sep 23, 2011 8:17:11 AM

2. Yes, we are tremendously Catholic, and he has that thinking because his sister is very opinionated and very close to gay people. But don't hold your breath, our country is very very religious, even the bill about giving free contraceptives was opposed and brought down just because it was "immoral", while street children eat trash and become useless citizens. Meanwhile, priests are enjoying the comfort of their convents. (Which are all BEHIND of that bill being turned down)

Religion is a very hard thought, and a lot of people easily fall on the wrong side. A lot of our leaders and incompetent, only panders people with their "religious" high horse when in fact, they're the most immoral of all.

But nevertheless, I compare our country to USA. We don't deal with a lot of bullying issues American gays are dealing with. There will always be bullying, but no one here does to that extreme. And 90% of our schools are heavily Catholic. There are openly gay teachers and they are respected as well. We have a lot of celebrities who are also openly gay and respected.

As I would say, our thinking is progressing, NOT that far yet. But at least most of us are pretty much religious that we actually fear God and not use Him as a weapon like a lot of your politicians do.

But to add to Pres. Aquino's comments about gays adopting. He shouldn't be the one to talk. First of all, he is single and his sister has a retarded son (due to failed abortion allegedly) and has another one from a very destructive marriage. Surely, this should make him realize that straight couples are not an exception.

Posted by: shello | Sep 23, 2011 9:53:53 AM

3. And that 'issue' would be...? Having a stable home with 2 loving, committed parents? Oh the horror!

Posted by: Laura | Sep 23, 2011 10:04:04 AM

4. Let me tell you something about Filipinos I have encountered in the United States in various cities, and keep in mind I have been around a bit, particularly in my younger days. It was nothing- absolutely nothing for me to successfully cruise and bed Filipino men who had girlfriends, wives, and frequently children. And I have been to the Philippines, and it is very
    similar there. I'm not saying this in a pejoritive way, although it may be so taken, but as a very valid observation over several years: the Filipino people generally have a very shizophrenic policy about homosexuality, you might say in the same manner as American Republicans do: there is nothing particularly wrong with it as long as it is kept discreet privately, and at the same time public disapproval is expressed whenever possible. And so, to me, anyway, it is creaky, archaic, needs updating.

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Sep 23, 2011 7:08:23 PM

5. Shello, the word 'retarded' isn't used that way anymore; you could seriously offend a bunch of people. Just a heads-up from one Pinoy to another.

ProfessorVP, please don't generalize Filipinos based on the ones you cruised in the USA; it's such a narrow window to view an entire country's perspective from. It would be like making conclusions on American politics based on the Americans I hooked up with in the Philippines. wtf?

The Filipino perspective on homosexuality will always be split between Roman Catholic dogma and the inherently easy-going and neighbourly nature of the culture. It's a complex issue in a place where most people are just starting to understand that being gay and being transgendered are two different things. How can you talk about same-sex marriage with a guy who is completely uneducated about same-sex relationships in the first place? What's missing is education and I hope those 'respected' gay teachers, celebrities, and politicians start using their platforms to teach Filipinos about LGBT issues so that the country can begin to understand basic queer terms and perspectives. You just can't debate a topic until the terms are defined; it's a complete waste of time, which is exactly what an interview with President Aquino on queer issues is.

Posted by: JIN | Sep 23, 2011 7:56:26 PM

6. Jin, I wrote "... and it was very similar there (in the P.I.)" The easy availability of men, including those in hetero relationships. I stand by my observation that homosexuality there, as in the States, particularly among social conservatives, falls into the antiquated category of discreet acceptance, even approval, concurrent with public disdain. Which is not so different from the Catholic church, a topic I don't even want to get started on.

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Sep 24, 2011 12:25:02 AM

7. You make my completely reshape myself

Posted by: nike lunar eclipse | Sep 24, 2011 6:05:02 AM

8. I agree with Jin on this issue. The vast majority of Filipino people are uneducated about GLBT issues, most of them not even knowing that there is a difference between being homosexual and being transgendered. However, mostly you do not see the caustic attitutude against gays in the Philippines that you see in other nations because Filipinos are raised to be as accomodating of other people as possible. (In case you didn't know, the country was ruled by Spain for 300 years with much abuse, but the Filipino people just took it in stride until Americans bought the country.)

As for Filipinos being easy to bed, I haven't met any nationality that didn't have people easy to bed. You can make that generalisation about any nation or race or species, but it wouldn't serve any real purpose.

Posted by: Dev | Sep 24, 2011 6:01:50 PM

9. It's not a family if they don't have children..

Posted by: francis | Sep 29, 2011 11:50:54 PM

10. It is not a family if they dont have children? I am sorry Francis but you are wrong. I dont have children by my father but he is still family. Nor do I with my sister, aunts, cousins, uncle, etc but they are all family. What about two loving people who got married and found they are not capable of having children? Are they no longer a family? This comment makes absolutely no sense.

Posted by: Harry | Mar 18, 2012 2:35:14 PM

11. Aquino says the child may have problems if adopted by gay parents. well, i have visited cebu several times and i think any adoption of children in need there is a fantastic thing. i saw kids sleeping on the footpath. is this better than having gay parents?

Posted by: Darryl | Aug 7, 2013 11:59:50 PM